How much does a DD 5.1 surround track influence a DualDisc purchase?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

does a Dolby Digital surround layer effect your DualDisc purchase

• Total voters

solaris

900 Club - QQ All-Star
How much does a DD surround layer influence a DualDisc Purchase.

I chose i buy anything in surround. May i make that a little clearer.
I buy anything in surround, as long as the surround mix is descent. {not just reverb in the rears}. :)

If we were never "teased" with SACD and DVD-A, then DD would be killer. However, the fact that I know there are superior ways to get the surround product out there and "they" chose not to use them is a negative in my mind when I see a DD DualDisc.

I have to agree with Jon. Even if you aren't going to put a proper DVD-A track on it at least include a 1536kbit DTS track. Having to put up with DTS is annoying but ok; having to hand over good money to be fobbed off with a DD track is just being pissed on IMHO.

I voted for a small incentive, although if it were a good Surround then I would buy it anyway, as even Dobly Digital is better than no surround at all.
I often find it a tragedy, however, that not even a DTS or even a stereo PCM track get included very often these days.
I'd rather a lower bitrate on the video and higher quality music.
After all, isnt it supposed to be about the music?

neil wilkes said:
I voted for a small incentive, although if it were a good Surround then I would buy it anyway, as even Dobly Digital is better than no surround at all.
I often find it a tragedy, however, that not even a DTS or even a stereo PCM track get included very often these days.
I'd rather a lower bitrate on the video and higher quality music.
After all, isnt it supposed to be about the music?

Yes Sir!

It is all about the music :smokin

I often turn off the video portion so that I can focus entirely on the surround content. As long as the recording is well done, I will stand in line for my copy!

As much as I hate DD over virtually every other DIGITIAL surround format, I will still take it over no surround at all.

I actually have purchased music I would never actually listen to just because it had a surround mix. It doesn't matter if it is Dualdisc or not but if the only way to get a surround mix is Dualdisc that's ok. I really think, though, that the record industry is missing the boat by not including surround mixes. I would have purchased 10 or 15 more current discs if they would have included a 5.1 mix.

Back