I am (not) the quadiophiliac

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always direct him to ‘The Collection’ AF SACD? I can’t see how he would prefer the stereo versions of ‘Black Magic Woman’ or ‘For The Love Of ‘Money’. Plus he could get a broad range of others... Without knowing what type of music he likes... He should also check out any from DSOTM, Rocks, Santana, Steely Dan, Poco, A Space In Time, Tomita, Chicago, Breakaway, oh heck could be here all day!

Unfortunately, Mr. Smithers, Mr. Guttenberg has been writing for numerous audio publications in the past and except for a rare few, none of the writers of said publications [Stereo Review/High Fidelity, etc.] really embraced Quadraphonic Sound. The mindset, as in the Steve Hoffman Forum, is STEREO is KING. The same writers also nixed early digital [IMO, rightfully so because of low fi CD players, etc.] and professed their 'undying' love of analogue. IF [and a giant IF] the technology that existed today, existed back then the audio landscape might've been different. That 70's QUAD failure seems to have left an indelible black mark on the format....and the early 00 resurgence, while brief, failed to bolster the format further.

A leopard doesn't change his spots, so the saying goes, and for a conversion to Quad/5.1 surround after all these years would, IMO, be a stretch.......but I'm sure such 'conversions' are possible....just not probable.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, Perp. Audio Phile ....a lover of Audio with NO specifics attached. It could even be mono from an old Victrola....

Face it....we are in a MINORITY, a minute niche market and the very fact we're getting all these cool [and maybe not so cool] albums in surround is a friggin' MIRACLE.

Currently, accountants and lawyers rule the music business and there's very little profit involved in remixing newer/older projects into surround.......so count your blessings 2018 has been very good to all of us QQers...and there's still five months to go!:ROFLMAO:August, September, October, November and December. What, NO LEAP YEAR?

I'm, admittedly, not knowledgeable about the inside financial workings of the music/record industry so I preface the statement that follows as perhaps coming from a woefully uninformed individual(myself). My point is simply this; A few companies(e.g., Sony Music, Arista) have long ago invested money and effort in producing existing quad mixes. The baby boomers market won't live forever and there does not appear to be a substantial youth market for physical media. Arista and Sony Music have taken part in agreements with Dutton Vocalion and Audio Fidelity to sell some of these pre-existing quad mixes to the public(Dutton Vocalion even going so far as charge 11..99 British Pounds for twofers of some of these recordings. 5.1 releases for Sgt. Pepper, Music From Big Pink and Imagine are in the pipeline or already for sale with, in each of those cases, the surround mixes themselves being produced afresh for these 50th Anniversary editions. A few titles such as How The West Was Won and Celebration Day have been produced and sold in surround format. Preparing and putting up these recordings for sale must, therefore, be profitable on some level, otherwise, high resolution stereo would have been good enough to satisfy buyers of physical media. OK, we are in a minority and it is a friggin' miracle(and I know that I'm preaching to the choir here), however, I don't believe that the slow trickle of surround releases will be drying up any time soon. Let's sit back and see what shows up in the next SteelyDave Dutton Vocalion blog and what sees the light of day in surround format as various classic pop/rock recordings celebrate their 50th anniversaries.

I wish this was available as text/posts. Just curious.

And perhaps as a side article in Music In The Round as Mr. Veira is stationed at present in Bagram, Afghanistan and has taken it upon himself to respond to a video from Steve Guttenberg thousands of miles away.

Passion doesn't get any better than this, Kal. How about it?

In the final analysis, we're all on the same side: LOVE of SURROUND!

I like the drums on the technical bit...
Yeah, just trying to have some fun with an unfortunate event. My camera somehow munched the last 5 minutes of my original shoot. I had time to reshoot that part, but not the whole thing.
Because the blocking is different (the USO room gets reset at will by each user - and I was lucky to even get the room for the 2nd shoot), I decided to throw in a distraction. Simply jump editing to the new blocking was very jarring.
The drums are from Disturbing the Universe - Skeleton Dance. I was looking online for free public domain hold music until I realized that some instrumental bit or another from the album would do the trick.

Last edited:
Now, talking about prejudice, most people are prejudiced against Quad/multichannel, but the mostest of the mostest are prejudiced against ambiance recreation.

I find hard to believe that listening to music with ambiance that fill the sides won't be pleasing to all people, as it is to me.

I have never been in a shoe box shaped concert hall (hope I do before I die, say La Scala) but I guess the experience has to do with a lot of sound coming from the sides.

Ambiance recreation could be a gateway to Quad/mch.

And perhaps as a side article in Music In The Round as Mr. Veira is stationed at present in Bagram, Afghanistan and has taken it upon himself to respond to a video from Steve Guttenberg thousands of miles away.

Passion doesn't get any better than this, Kal. How about it?

In the final analysis, we're all on the same side: LOVE of SURROUND!
I was hoping to read it.

Now, talking about prejudice, most people are prejudiced against Quad/multichannel, but the mostest of the mostest are prejudiced against ambiance recreation.
John Curl exhumed the following quote from a mid-1960s letter to Stereophile, originally published in Vol. No. 4: "Sirs: I say that stereo is a first class fake and the biggest fraud ever put out by American Mfr. I have never found anyone who knows audio engineering or music that did not agree with this. All those who disagree just don't know enough to know the truth or they are liars engaged in selling stereo equipment. The only reason that most people have gone for stereo is that they have not had time, and will not take the time to get all the facts, so they are victims of advertising, the biggest con game in the world, and I am not so sure that they don't deserve what they get.

I was hoping to read it.
I was a little confused today, but, due to a PM from my pal Ralphy, I think I understand a request being made now.
Unfortunately, there is no transcript of the video. I rehearse somewhat, then wing it off of skeleton notes.
I wonder if somebody could play the video back through a speaker and run some kind of voice to text software or app?
Even from their phone? If somebody could send me such an attempt, I'd be happy to edit/proof it. I don't think I would have time for anything beyond that though.
This all assumes I understand the request now! o_O

Transcript:

"Surround music is the best. Buy it now. Thanks. Bye."

(and I did all that by lip reading!) :giggle:

You're in a playful mood today, Adam.

But don't give me NO LIP SERVICE!

65dedaf77099fa407cab0b872083fd4e.jpg

Does anyone care to try this on the video? Like I said, I don't have much free time. Plus, I'm not near my phone or PC for 16 or more hours/day. And I'm usually in a quite noisy environment in my free time.
If somebody can send me a decent auto-transcription, I'll happily edit it. I'd like to hook up Kal if we can. Thanks!

I'm going to record the youtube audio with Audacity, then see if I can get google speech to text to work!
Edit: To do this Open Audacity, select Windows WASAPI for the MIC i/p, and Headphones/Speaker as output, hit record then start the YouTube video, Audacity starts recording.

Last edited:
Wow, Duncan! Thanks for trying. Did you, perhaps try his 2nd method? A note-taking or word-processing app on a smart phone? On the keypad you hit the microphone symbol for input.
Hi Mike,
Speech to type only works using the Chrome browser, but....I can't get the method to work on either of my machines! My android phone is rubbish its run out of FLASH for updates so I can't use that.

Back