I got my Q8 player/recorder!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I finally got an Akai CR-80D-SS Q8 player/recorder. Now I just have to wait to get some tapes to try it out!!!

Some questions for those who know...

Should I expect that I will have to get it "tuned up"?

What normally needs to be done?

What is the average cost for a tune up? This one might be tough depending what needs to be done.

Is there someone in Chicago that can do the tune up if necessary?

I only paid $89.00 for it but I would love to get it back into as good shape as I can... if I can..

Thanks...

First off get some alcohol and q-tips and clean it! Get all the old black tape gunk out of it. Definitely replace the belt, maybe even re-align the head if it's off. If it's a high-mileage unit, you may need to rough-up the capstain shaft if it's been worn smooth. Use caution when doing this. Use something like 2000 grit sand paper or the finest steel wool you can find.

Quad Bob does the restorations and recapping.

I finally got an Akai CR-80D-SS Q8 player/recorder. Now I just have to wait to get some tapes to try it out!!!

Some questions for those who know...

Should I expect that I will have to get it "tuned up"?

What normally needs to be done?

What is the average cost for a tune up? This one might be tough depending what needs to be done.

Is there someone in Chicago that can do the tune up if necessary?

I only paid $89.00 for it but I would love to get it back into as good shape as I can... if I can..

Thanks...

Welcome to the funky world of quad 8-tracks Bob!

The only person in Chicago I know who fixes quad gear is Dave Vacarro and Larry Green of Chicago Audio (I'm sure you remember them from the quad get together there last month). Dave will be happy to discuss your unit over the phone at the very least.

The other option is to send it out to QuadBob.

Can I add myself in this list of "freaky" people?

Thanks to winopener, which helped me find out my 8-track player, and carts....

Have to clean and restorate almost everything in this unit.

It's a Clarion quad car player with a case to plug it in a 220V power supply and RCA connections, and with over 30 carts, both stereo and quad

but what the heck....paid 40 euros for all......

dancing bananas joinin' in!

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

The hardest part is to find something quad in Europe!!!!

Well I am having my player cleaned and adjusted. Man, that thing is LOUD!! I plugged it in to my soundcard and it just overloaded the inputs like crazy. It was down all the way!! It plays a little slow so I am having the belt changed and getting everything back into shape. Dave at Chicago Audio is looking at it for me. I can't wait to get it back!!

Bob,

You will find that, despite what some people say, the world of Quad 8 Tracks is quite amazing. The key to the whole thing is finding a good player and good tapes. (obviously) :D

I agree with the advice given above as to cleaning the unit up. Even in a non-smoking house, dust and other stuff collect on the insides of a 30 plus year old tape deck.
Another thing you might want to do is de-magnetize the heads. After 30 years of playing tapes, there is bound to be some residual magnetism left over in the heads.
Also, I had trouble with one of my decks not changing channels properly, but a shot of contact cleaner on the contacts of the relay solved the problem.
I own two of the CR-80D-SS units and am very well pleased with both.

Now, go to EBay and buy all the quad 8 track tapes for sale!!!!

MTGC (Michael)

I was quite lucky with my item.
For the price I paid it I had more than 30 tapes,10 of them are quad, which are:
Carly Simon - No secrets 8Q-5049
Deodato 2 CTQ8 6029
Bob Dylan - Planet Waves 8Q-1003
Stardrive - Intergalactic Trot 8Q-5058
War Live Vol. Two UA-DA1932-H
Herbie Mann - Hod On, I'm Coming (Live) ATL Qt-1632 0798
James Taylor - One Man Dog WB L9B 2660
Seals & Crofts - Summer Breeze WB L9B2629 (I've got 2 copies of it...)
Mac Davis - Stop and smell the roses CAQ 32582

I have restored a few of them and realigned the tape heads...the sound is the clearest I've heard till now!!!!

An Akai CR80DSS. Hmmm. That's a very fine player. There is a problem with the amplifier chips it uses, and they can become staticky over time. So if you're getting a lot of static, you might want to rechip it as well as recapping it. Those chips can be hard to find. I got mine at Union Electronics. The unit makes good recordings if the head is not too worn. If you can find good blank tape, they can be as good as a reel to reel recording. But you probably won't use that feature unless you have a Q8 in your car. Q8's are difficult to record, due to the planning you have to do for the time. It's not so bad with quad, since there are only two programs. On stereo tapes, songs are often rearranged to make them fit. Anyway, sounds like a good find.

The Quadfather

P.S. the automatic shutoff feature is good for playing a tape to the splice, where it will stop. The splice can then be reglued, as is often necessary. The tape is not eaten. (a known problem with eight tracks)

Back