Is Porcupine Tree the greatest unknown band ever?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Is there a band that has put out as much quality product as these guys and not had what can be called "big success"? I personally don't care if they don't make the cover of Rolling Stone or get on the Tonight Show, but I'd love to see them get some mainstream media attention just to spread the word on how great they are, especially considering every dopey band with Peter Tork haircuts and "Lust For Life" ripoff songs get splashed on the cover of every music magazine!:mad:

good call. other unfairly ignored bands with long resumes come to mind like maybe Barclay James Harvest or Be Bop Deluxe. But those bands at least acheived a little chart success in the UK if not North America. Long live PT!

I'm obviously a big fan. However, I really like being able to see them in great small venues like The Fillmore in San Francisco. I know that a lot of fans in smaller cities don't get to see them so often due to their limited success - so good for me, not so good for others. I certainly hope (and belive) that they are doing OK financially. Ticket prices are up 50% over last year's show, no complaints here!

good call. other unfairly ignored bands with long resumes come to mind like maybe Barclay James Harvest or Be Bop Deluxe. But those bands at least acheived a little chart success in the UK if not North America. Long live PT!

BBD!!! Bill Nelson is a guitar god. Very under rated band.

Always wanted to hear a multichannel mix for DRASTIC PLASTIC, a wild ride of an album.

Porcupine Tree is pretty decent for a modern band, though I'm not that keen on modern bands, my heart is elsewhere. Flaming Lips are also interesting, but must admit for some of this, I'd never have bothered if there hadn't been 5.1 releases of their work.

ED :)

I appreciate the following facts about Porcupine Tree:
1) They write GREAT music
2) More than capable players in the live concert setting
3) Supports SURROUND music with steady releases, even after mkt faded
4) Their B sides are better than many band's A-sides
5) They honor past prog while forging into new areas

Tim :smokin:

I can honestly say that I would have NEVER EVER EVER bought a Porcupine Tree disc if it were not for the fact that their releases were in surround. To add to that, if the racks were bursting with 5.1 discs and I had never heard PT, I would probably have never bought their discs either.

That being said, when I bought the first one a few years ago, and actually listened to it (mostly in the car), I was shocked at how good it was, both muscially and sonically.

I got to the point where I was looking for more.

It just goes to show ME how there must be a ton of music out there that I would like, but will never hear .............ever. At my age, "learning" new music is something that doesn't happen very often. And I would imagine it happens very little to people over 50. They just continue to by Rod Stewart oldies and things they already own.

UGH!

After hearing their fabulous "In Absentia" (first on CD and then on DVD-A) I started picking up their entire back catalog. I pretty much have all their CDs now. I totally love this band. I really don't know how they managed to elude me for all these years!

Last edited:
Yeah I love PT as well. My friend got me into them right after "In Absentia" came out. When I got my Pioneer 563, I started looking for MC discs (other than DSoTM). First time I listened to it I was amazed by how different it sounded than the stereo release.
This same friend also got me into Dredg. When I got "El Cielo" on SACD is was like a religous experience for us. Dredge really falls into this same category for me. I LOVE their music, but they are hardly known.
btw, if any of you guys like "El Cielo" you should check out their newer album (released a year or so ago). It's entitled "Catch Without Arms". It's not MC, but musically it's almost as good as "El Cielo".
I'm the same way for the most part though. I mostly listen to classic rock. I'm just lucky to be a college student because I've been exposed to different bands that I otherwise wouldn't have.
Ryan

I first heard them on XM radio, I think it was Deep Tracks. I remember thinking, wow, what a great song. So I started checking them out and noticed they had a DVD-A release (In Absentia), I bought it, loved it, and have since picked up "Deadwing", "Stupid Dream" (DVD-A), "Arriving Somewhere..." (DVD-V),"On The Sunday Of Life", "Signify", "Up The Downstair" (CD), and "Moonloop" on vinyl. I just cannot get enough of their great music! I too, find it hard to believe that they are not more mainstream than they are. They somehow fly just under the radar. Musicly, their talent is unmistakable, and they present themselves in a very professional mannor.

I got to see them last year in Cleveland, what a phenominal show! When they tour again in this area, I plan on being there!

I agree with Jon, about there being a ton of new music that I would probably like but have not been exposed to. PT has been one of the great finds in the past few years. The fact that they support Hi-rez MC is just the icing on the cake. BTW, if you like blues based rock, "Joe Bonamassa" has been another great find for me!

So I hope Steven Wilson and company keep pumping out new stuff, and touring, as they have definately made a big fan out of me! :D

Dennis

PS; Be Bop Deluxe was a great band, I saw them in "75" with Climax Blues Band, and Foghat. I still get those old albums out from time to time.

good call. other unfairly ignored bands with long resumes come to mind like maybe Barclay James Harvest or Be Bop Deluxe.

Hm.., BJH is an old band most young music consumers might not know anymore. Are they still active?

Be Bop Deluxe never were successful, at least here in Germany. This was more an insider tip. I only know Axe Victim, and that album sounds a lot like older David Bowie stuff. Maybe that's why they weren't much successful over here.

The demands for Porcupine Tree are raising, the band gets more and more attention. Even the Rockpalast concert got a rerun a few weeks ago (This time without the annoying filter effects), and that probably of the high demands from the listeners/viewers of this tv show.

-Kristian

Be Bop Deluxe never were successful, at least here in Germany. This was more an insider tip. I only know Axe Victim, and that album sounds a lot like older David Bowie stuff. Maybe that's why they weren't much successful over here.

-Kristian

Yes, Axe Victim was very Bowie-ish, but that didn't last long. The rest of their catalog sounds quite different, especially Drastic Plastic. If you can find Futurama or Sunburst Finish, give them a try.

They are my favourite band. I don't really go to concerts anymore but if these guys came to Toronto, I would go. Their new DVD is absolutely amazing.

And I would imagine it happens very little to people over 50. They just continue to by Rod Stewart oldies and things they already own.
UGH!

That's shocking man.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Keep the Rodster out of my collection. And I'm over 50............

Super Furry Animals is another of my favourites. very underrated. The Rings Around The World DVD gets a lot of play. They are very political though and some people may not get into them because of that. Look at the song, "Run! Christian, Run!".

That's shocking man.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Keep the Rodster out of my collection. And I'm over 50............

Super Furry Animals is another of my favourites. very underrated. The Rings Around The World DVD gets a lot of play. They are very political though and some people may not get into them because of that. Look at the song, "Run! Christian, Run!".

I was speaking generally. Anyone who is savy enough to post in a music or surround forum on the internet is still "music aware", as far as I'm concerned! :smokin

50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn Jon, I only have one year to go before I begin a Rod Stewart collection.

FAHGETIT!!

I need to thank everyone in this forum for all of the great leads. Porcupine Tree is of course my favorite new find and I have just about completed the collection. They are so talented and they deserve alot more exposure. Quite likley as this thread states, "The best band never heard."

The other group is RPWL. What a find.;)

Having grown up with all of the early prog, it is refreshing to see all of this new music available. AND, as a bonus, in MC 5.1 or better.:smokin

Hm.., BJH is an old band most young music consumers might not know anymore. Are they still active?... -Kristian
I used to follow BJH in the late 70's. I don't think they've been active for a good 10 years. I just tossed their name out as similar to PT, in that they had a lengthy distinguished career, but remained basically unknown. btw, glad to see we have a few Be Bop Deluxe fans onboard. I was actually listening to Sunburst Finish when I read the 1st post. (y)
p.s. Curious to see who others might float as "greatest unknown band ever" in comparison to PT.

I need to thank everyone in this forum for all of the great leads.
Maybe "greatest" and "unknown" are too strong. I like them a lot, and they are becoming gradually better known.

Without this forum it would have taken me longer to start listening to them, I had seen the artwork of In Absentia and didn't think it would be my cup of tea. Turned out differently :eek:
Their 3 surround disks are among the best in the rock department.

On the other hand they make it a point to switch styles somewhat at every album. So they win new fans and lose some former fans.

Posted By Ge Someone
[On the other hand they make it a point to switch styles somewhat at every album. So they win new fans and lose some former fans./QUOTE]

Good thought. I felt this way about Deadwing after the first listen.
After many spins, I finally adjusted. So far, they have not lost me. Let's see what they come up with on their next release.;)

Until then, I am patiently waiting for Lightbulb Sun in a MC format.:smokin

Back