Is Porcupine Tree the greatest unknown band ever?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Porcupine Tree a lot, but despite the general approval of their music here and other forums, I don't think the group will ever have mainstream appeal. That isn't a problem since their albums are easy to find online but the music isn't likely to ever sell in large quantities. I can't find anyone I know in real life that likes the music. No radio play means no big fanbase. I have three teenaged children to help with my understanding of music that the youthful audiences appreciate.

I sure hope "Lightbulb Sun" is released on DVD-A next year. It is the only upcoming DVD-A release I can think of that will interest me.

Chris

I like Porcupine Tree a lot, but despite the general approval of their music here and other forums, I don't think the group will ever have mainstream appeal. That isn't a problem since their albums are easy to find online but the music isn't likely to ever sell in large quantities. I can't find anyone I know in real life that likes the music. No radio play means no big fanbase. I have three teenaged children to help with my understanding of music that the youthful audiences appreciate.

I sure hope "Lightbulb Sun" is released on DVD-A next year. It is the only upcoming DVD-A release I can think of that will interest me.

Chris

Same here. My friends find it "too long" or "too heavy". Most people's idea of heavy music is Nickelback!

Gee, all my friends became fans after I played PT for them. I guess me and my friends are all out of the mainstream.

Everyone I have played PT to have then gone out and bought at least one album/CD or even DVDA as a consiquence.

I guess different stroke for different folks.

Everyone I have played PT to have then gone out and bought at least one album/CD or even DVDA as a consiquence.

I guess different stroke for different folks.

Yeah, you guys are lucky. Most of my friends don't share the same passion for music that I do, and my one friend is a music nut, but she likes stuff like Muse and Radiohead, and she said she finds PT boring!:confused: :mad:@:

I have converted three friends into PT fans. Two of them I will be meeting in Philadelphia on October 7th when they play the Keswick Theater.

I loaded a couple PT songs on my wifes mp3 player before we went to the beach for vacation and I did not tell her.

The third day, we were sitting on the beach and she asked who played this song. The song was "Even Less."

I asked her if she liked it and she said yes, it was very good.
I told her that she finally got a good dose of Porcupine Tree and she was able to immerse herself in it without distraction. It makes a huge difference when you concentrate on the musicianship.

Trying to do this in a party setting is almost impossible.

We will soon sit down together and enjoy the live DVD.:smokin

" My friends find it "too long" or "too heavy".

The Mtv effect ? One of Pts live albums ends with Sw saying something like " Thank you for coming, thank you for listening and we'll see you next time " it seems that most people dont chuck a lot of discs on the floor and go with the flow nowadays.

I didnt quite 'get' DsotM or Wywh on first listen , but boy, am I glad I persevered :)

~M~

The answer to the question has to be YES!

I've watched them live twice and own their entire back catalog. Still waiting for the DVD to show up from Burning Shed. :mad:

I just "found" the "Live at Rockpalas" video and ..

Video = OK
+
Audio = soft but good.

The sum equals, frickin' great. :banana:

I Find This Band The Answer My 70's Prog Rock /mc Withdrawals Since The Industry Just Dosen't Get It (you Know What I Getting At All You Young Guns Just Don't Understand It's Us Baby Boomers That Got The Cash To Spend) Thanks Pt For Giving Us Hop/trainman92

Saw PT at the Nokia Times Square Theater (NYC) last night with Fripp & Belew's Projekt 6 as the opening act - the line was around the block - no small feat in the middle of Manhattan. The show was amazing of course - beautiful theater, packed, with an incredible sound system - the irony that such a big crowd shows up at a club located in the basement of the building that houses MTV studios - all the little teeny boppers hanging around outside to catch a glimpes of their favorite stars were quite confused by the sight of what was a predominantly older male crowd on this massive line waiting to get in - "who's Porcupine Tree" :rolleyes: A great night...

Made even better by the fact that when I got home there were two packages containing Al DiMeola's SACD "Consequence of Chaos", Pat Metheny DVD of "The Way Up" and the new Depeche Mode SACD/DVD releases "Some Great Reward" and "Music For the Masses" - have given them all a brief preview and I can say that they all sound great - a busy weekend ahead:phones

I have three teenaged children to help with my understanding of music that the youthful audiences appreciate.
Tasts differ as always, my teenage kid goes to school in a "Arriving Somewhere.." tour shirt he bought :cool:
There are so many examples of "undergound" bands that became big. Like R.E.M., Oasis, Counting Crows or (heck) even Queen. Come to think of it, didn't every original band we know go that route? Of course there are also many that will not breakthrough, there is not so much room at the top as there is in the undergound. :)

PT has a solid, growing fanbase, that's usualy better than a short lived overnight success.

Back