Japanese market Technics CD-4 Console with cool looking receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doity

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I came across a video of this receiver but had never seen it before and the person who posted it didn’t list the model number. Well, after some internet sleuthing I found it. It was apparently part of a package with turntable, cabinet, demodulator, and speakers. It looks more like some kind of washing machine or AC or heating unit than it does a stereo. I kind of like it though and it still looks fairly modern. The receiver has a fake scope thing that seems to be more like one of those old light organs but it does show which channel(s) are working at any given time.

Has anyone ever seen this one before?

6815B27F-CC5C-4278-854F-644B76445D7B.jpeg
BED85019-9B4F-4369-A026-361648F84AB6.jpeg
8D48EE55-FF6A-425B-930D-0E85380D8B4C.jpeg

Here are a couple more pictures of the SC-2500D. Two are just of the receiver itself and the other the whole system. The natural wood grain cabinet looks kind of classy. Seems they were pretty popular there back in the day, with a 1,100 dollar equivalent price tag.

I actually found one for sale and am in the process of buying it. Just the receiver itself......not the whole system. Can’t imagine how much that would cost to ship from Japan but way out of my league. I will post an update when I get it. Will still have to buy a step-down converter. I couldn’t resist possibly being one of the few people in the US to own one and it is actually a step up from my current receiver if you can believe that. It was advertised as in good condition and it looks great for its age so I am crossing my fingers.

8A637E88-F9E9-4DE3-BAD2-B2E5F08EB7BE.jpeg
C2483CA1-01DB-476A-A5C7-743CDEE280F8.jpeg
31ABFA1B-6631-4DB9-BE43-975A527DD2EB.jpeg
61F604A2-D2CD-4240-AFD3-0944E89DDAD6.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are a couple more pictures of the SC-2500D. One is of just the receiver itself and the other the whole system. The natural wood grain cabinet looks kind of classy. Seems they were pretty popular there back in the day, with a 1,100 dollar equivalent price tag.

I actually found one for sale and am in the process of buying it. Just the receiver itself......not the whole system. Can’t imagine how much that would cost to ship from Japan but way out of my league. I will post an update when I get it. Will still have to buy a step-down converter. I couldn’t resist possibly being one of the few people in the US to own one and it is actually a step up from my current receiver if you can believe that. It was advertised as in good condition and it looks great for its age so I am crossing my fingers.

View attachment 62707View attachment 62708View attachment 62709
Cool, if that joystick still works, well let’s just say 4 spinning nanners from me- Thrilled if this works out!
What speakers will you hook it up with?

Well it has some funky speaker connections so I will have to figure that out. The rear connections seem to be the regular screw terminal type while the fronts seem to be some kind of proprietary plug of some sort. Never seen it before but it reminds me of one of the connections you see with the ‘midi’ type stereo systems.

I have some Koss Phase 2+2 headphones in the meantime which work well and produce a semi-realistic Quad experience.

Well it has some funky speaker connections so I will have to figure that out. The rear connections seem to be the regular screw terminal type while the fronts seem to be some kind of proprietary plug of some sort. Never seen it before but it reminds me of one of the connections you see with the ‘midi’ type stereo systems.

I have some Koss Phase 2+2 headphones in the meantime which work well and produce a semi-realistic Quad experience.
I think I may have seen those plugs before on something else; have you got a rear pic of the connections for this?

They kind of look like these old Pioneer connectors I found on a Google search :unsure:

I think that is it! Or at least an adapter to use as a work around. I saw a picture of the original cables and they are pretty heavy duty with big plugs. Wonder why they had those for the front and not the back? Weird.

That is exactly what they are. Start an ebay search, audiogon also. You will find some, i sold a pair about 5 years ago. Search for pioneer speaker adapters. or go here.
https://vintagehifiaudio.com/product/pioneer-speaker-plug-adapters-banana-jacks/

Thanks quadtrade, I will definitely snag a pair. I had seen those somewhere before but didn’t know their exact purpose. I should have the receiver in days. It only took one day to get from Japan to the states and then got held up in Cincy because of a bad storm. It finally made its way to Portland only to be confronted with another storm, which we only get every three years or so. Oh well........I shall persevere somehow.

Well the Technics arrived safely today from Japan. It is was in better condition than I was expecting and everything appears to be working just fine. The FM tuner band seems to be a lot different than here in the US but I don’t listen to too much radio anyway. Got loads of those if I ever need to. My first impression is that it is huge......a whole 15 inches deep. I might need to import one of those cabinets that it came with just to house the thing.

It works extremely well and is quiet. Good overall sound and it is quite a step up from my basic JVC receiver that I have now. The matrix mode had some knobs for width and depth but I haven’t messed with that too much but it does work. One of those knobs also pulls out to turn off the scope which I hadn’t noticed in the pictures. And yes, they refer to it as a scope.

I made a quick video showing it’s use. I neglected to turn the Loudness switch on which might account for some of the low volume of the recording. My other receiver had neither a scope nor a loudness switch so already I am ahead in that respect. It also has a tape monitor mode which the JVC didn’t have either. Enjoy!

Here is another video I took with the volume down and no audio. I noticed that the scope is volume dependent.....meaning when the volume is high the display gets brighter according to volume level. Kind of strange that they did it that way as it is works more like a color organ does than a true scope. Oh well. At low volume the channel movement is more apparent.

Anyhow, I am quite enamored with the receiver. It looks kind of cheaply built but it is well built with sturdy switches and weighted knobs. Or at least they feel weighted, especially the volume knob. And the Matrix mode works well also.....does anyone have any experience using the Technics “AFD” matrix?

Thanks quadtrade, I will definitely snag a pair. I had seen those somewhere before but didn’t know their exact purpose. I should have the receiver in days. It only took one day to get from Japan to the states and then got held up in Cincy because of a bad storm. It finally made its way to Portland only to be confronted with another storm, which we only get every three years or so. Oh well........I shall persevere somehow.
A Cinch Jones 303 is the same thing if you just remove the center pin. I've done this for a couple pioneer receivers. Far less expensive...

https://www.digikey.com/en/products...EsUIBKQuS_dFreCkCMZolXC2GA54TY9hoCtQEQAvD_BwE

Back