• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Jeff Beck Group - Truth

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrived! - Time to get busy...

JBTruth159MoFi.jpg

Quick listen track one - louder, a bit more bass than AF SH SACD.

Last edited:
Just some hobby notes that you may find interesting. I have four recent editions of Truth and will try and give a proper listen for comparison, ears and comfortable listening only, but for now: Tracks 1-10, Dynamic Range.

2006 Japanese SHM CD 16/44.1 w/Bonus Tracks: 10, 10, 08, 09, 11, 12, 10, 09, 11, 09.
2015 HDTracks FLAC 24/96 Download: 11, 10, 10, 09, 11, 12, 11, 09, 11, 10.
2017 Audio Fidelity Hybrid SACD DSD64: 11, 11, 10, 10, 11, 12, 12, 10, 12, 10.
2021 MOFI Hybrid SACD DSD64: 10, 09, 10, 08, 11, 11, 10, 08, 12, 10.

For me this is an iconic album and have liked all versions including my long gone orginal LP. Prior to this 2021 MOFI release I have leaned towards the HDTracks download. Now, time to listen.

Just some hobby notes that you may find interesting. I have four recent editions of Truth and will try and give a proper listen for comparison, ears and comfortable listening only, but for now: Tracks 1-10, Dynamic Range.

2006 Japanese SHM CD 16/44.1 w/Bonus Tracks: 10, 10, 08, 09, 11, 12, 10, 09, 11, 09.
2015 HDTracks FLAC 24/96 Download: 11, 10, 10, 09, 11, 12, 11, 09, 11, 10.
2017 Audio Fidelity Hybrid SACD DSD64: 11, 11, 10, 10, 11, 12, 12, 10, 12, 10.
2021 MOFI Hybrid SACD DSD64: 10, 09, 10, 08, 11, 11, 10, 08, 12, 10.

For me this is an iconic album and have liked all versions including my long gone orginal LP. Prior to this 2021 MOFI release I have leaned towards the HDTracks download. Now, time to listen.
Any verdict, oh wise one?! šŸ˜‡

Ordered the Mofi SACD from importCDs a couple of weeks ago and they haven't even sent it yet.
I ordered from Acoustic Sounds the week before it was released. They would later inform me it was backordered but would be back in stock May 29ā€¦which came and went with no shipment. When I inquired they basically admitted they could not tell if or when they would get any back in stock. Assuming the limited run had sold out, I picked up a copy on eBay for $35.99 and cancelled my original order figuring they would never in fact be able to stock it.
Not sure if I am right in that assumption, but having missed out on the Audio Fidelity release (and loving this album), I figured a $6 premium was a pretty good insurance policy šŸ˜‰

Any verdict, oh wise one?! šŸ˜‡
Oh boy, pressure. I will give you the best I can.
I listened to all 4 versions via rips, JRiver, stereo. Cued them up side by side so I could go from one to the other track by track.
HDTracks= sounded like I had 10 grills on my speakers, very recessed, back of room sound, no good tone.
Audio Fidelity= good on it's own, but nothing special, an improvement over the HDTracks download. Still missing that tone I wanted.
SHM CD= Real good, sharp and crisp, great tone. A little more of the tape hiss is gone and on Blues Deluxe starts off without the 2 seconds of ambient concert hall noise, which is fake.
MOFI= Real good, great tone and low end.
Toss up for me, I love the album so any version is good, but when comparing the four, it is cleary the SHM CD or the MOFI.

Oh boy, pressure. I will give you the best I can.
I listened to all 4 versions via rips, JRiver, stereo. Cued them up side by side so I could go from one to the other track by track.
HDTracks= sounded like I had 10 grills on my speakers, very recessed, back of room sound, no good tone.
Audio Fidelity= good on it's own, but nothing special, an improvement over the HDTracks download. Still missing that tone I wanted.
SHM CD= Real good, sharp and crisp, great tone. A little more of the tape hiss is gone and on Blues Deluxe starts off without the 2 seconds of ambient concert hall noise, which is fake.
MOFI= Real good, great tone and low end.
Toss up for me, I love the album so any version is good, but when comparing the four, it is cleary the SHM CD or the MOFI.
Great - thanks - my MoFi is waiting at the Post Office for meā€¦canā€™t wait to hear it šŸ‘‚šŸ¼
Side question: I have some SHM SACDā€™s but not CDā€™s.
Do you find the SHM improves CDā€™s in general?
Thanks!

Great - thanks - my MoFi is waiting at the Post Office for meā€¦canā€™t wait to hear it šŸ‘‚šŸ¼
Thanks!
TDā€¦I know you were asking Marpow but it me depending on the title itā€™s a mix. I guess depends more on the mastering/mixā€¦.IMHOā€¦.for what it is worth. My fav SHM is The Rolling Stones ā€œSticky Fingersā€ canā€™t go wrong with that!!šŸ˜Š

Thanks!
I really like SHM CD's but not to the point I only buy them as they are expensive. I like when CDJapan does a Mini LP SHM CD series, man they all sound great, like for instance they did Savoy Brown, Canned Heat, Steve Miller, etc, really good, just one offs I don't buy. The Jimi Hendrix Blu Spec CD2 Electric Ladyland was the best until the deluxe box came out. To be very honest, I don't think I have ever heard a bad one, at least equal or better than RBCD's.
Now, some folks here on QQ might say, why are you wasting your money on a gimmick that is the same 16/44.1 sample rate as a regular CD, I say, in more or less nice words, fuck off, it's my money and I didn't ask for your input. But that's how QQ can go sometimes.
The new Japanese MQA disc's, which also have much controversary, can have the same argument. I do not have an MQA DAC or Player, but I have bought about 5 of them mainly Greatest Hits, and they certainly sound good, would love to hear one completely unfolded some day.
I think you should buy at least 3-5 of them and check it out and see what you think compared to a regular CD. One thing that is cool, the Japanese really do a fantastic job on replicating the Mini LP artwork.
I have been doing this quite awhile now and it is all such a crap shoot between downloads and discs, you just have to try a few of everything. Then you have to quietly listen in a comfortable space to determine your new music.
If I listened to music the way I would like to all the time, I would do nothing else and my back would be seriously fucked up from all the sitting.
Feel free to ask me more if you would like.

Last edited:
Back