Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course back in the day I had this title on LP, 8-Track and Cassette. I now have it on CD (two of them), on a 200 gram Quiex LP, and two Quad conversions, one from CD-4 another from a Q4 reel. This will round out my collection nicely. I'm anxious to hear what Steven Wilson has done with the stereo mix and especially with the new 5.1 mix. I have faith he will make this classic recording shine!

I find it interesting that this and the first two Pink Floyd Immersion sets are including the Quad versions and in hi-res. Somebody must be listening. This also may increase some Quad/surround awareness or at least pique some interest among novices that spring for the sets, get them as gifts, or even browsers that bother to read the description details.

I still think that there will be (or should be) CD/BD sets later on. However I am getting these now because I just can't make myself wait to see if there will be a second wave of releases and also, I don't want to take a chance of missing out if there's not.

You can almost hear the clicking of the fishing reel as they drag me into the boat. :D

Burning Shed has it available to pre-order for $118.90. The problem is it costs $30 to ship to the US so their price ends up being exactly the same as amazon's.

rtbluray, thanks for informative posts! Fletch, the obvious answer to your question is because they can. It's a profit center as long as there are rabid collectors like most of us here. After the initial sales surge, they have the option of later releasing a scaled down version(s). If anyone thinks they're clueless regarding surround collectors, think again. We've all seen boneheaded record company decisions. Yet, I think they view surround music as a limited market, so they intend to squeeze every last $ out of rabid surround collectors. Hell, we regularly pay hundreds on E-Bay for OOP Quad and surround discs. Many of you do that, but I bought everything I wanted the day it was released. I'm that out of control. lol!! These boxes also attract the core audience of that act, probably the most lucrative target audience. Fortunately for us, those core fans will discover that surround mixes are incredible.

Like Dennis Mabry, I have owned countless versions of Aqualung. Some of them are sonically acceptable, many have been horrible. Abraxas is another title like that. The original CBS/Chrysalis and Columbia domestic CD's of those two are the worst. It must have taken a lot of work to make them sound that bad! lol!! I welcome a makeover for Aqualung. Even though Ian may not have been pleased, I think the CD-4 Aqualung is the best so far. The MoFi stereo LP sounds pretty hot, too, albeit 2ch. I prefer the DTS CD/Quad mix of Abraxas.

I bought the 2 CD/DVD import of Stand Up. Best version so far. It's my favorite Tull album. Prior, to that I preferred the MoFi Gold CD. Why couldn't they do a surround mix of Stand Up? Was it the cost, a limited amount of tracks, or did Ian prefer not to? The DVD is audio only of a Carnegie Hall concert.

Bring on the Aqualung and Immersion boxes! I can't live without them.

Linda

"It started with rock and roll, now it's out of control."-Ray Manzarek

Black/Grey market probably.

Why The F*^k do the record compaies keep hiding surround mixes in expensive boxes.

...I prefer the DTS CD/Quad mix of Abraxas...

Linda

"It started with rock and roll, now it's out of control."-Ray Manzarek

Don't mean to change the subject, but do you prefer it to the Q4 DVD-A/V transfer? I ask because I never really liked the DTS CD of Abraxas - the high-end was like nails on a chalk board to me. (of course, Cisplatin made me over sensitive to high frequencies - even AM radio 'hurt' when I was being treated with it) Then I heard the Q4 DVD-A/V from RmTx and found it to be wonderful - truly high fidelity and highly listenable. The SQ LP sounds like it went through a bunch of cheap op-amps (which it probably did - CBS's early SQ encoder had the worst 'transistor' sound) and then hand the highs rolled off for the LP transfer. The Q4 DVD-A/V is all I listen to now - my DTS CD has gotten dusty.

Kwad Kitty I suppose my major frustration, is that there are very separate and avid collectors of Surround and of Vinyl, yet the record compays seem to want to lump them in together, in uber expesive boxes when with a little more careful marketing they could get a better per unit return, and sell more and probably grow the market just by properly targeting issues/re-issues.

as a bonus this set does not include the marbles and other crap, but is pretty much the same price as teh Pink Floyd boxes so far ....

Fletch, the record companies have never been the most innovative thinkers, especially when it comes to marketing. The "something for everything" worked in early CD boxes, with greatest hits, selected album tracks, and a smattering of rarities. I usually had most tracks in them, but bought them for rarities. If more is better, then let's add multiple formats and it will appeal to everyone. But everyone can't afford the high priced spread. So, those with limited resources just sit it out. Money left on the table is plain dumb. I realize that you and others have made that point in this thread and others. Still, the allure of $50-$100 of profit times tens of thousands of units is too seductive.

I bought Layla, Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew ultra deluxe boxes. Although I own three turntables, it may be a long time, probably never, until I audition the vinyl. And I usually listen through a moving coil catridge, so the vinyl sounds warm. 2ch vinyl can't compare with Quad/surround as an experience. I like the convenience of CD, but prefer surround and/or advanced res. Having things that I bought and don't ever play makes me believe that I'm a sucker and spend way too much money on this stuff. Both ARE true! It doesn't give me warm fuzzies about the record industry.

Linda

Kwad Kitty I suppose my major frustration, is that there are very separate and avid collectors of Surround and of Vinyl, yet the record compays seem to want to lump them in together, in uber expesive boxes when with a little more careful marketing they could get a better per unit return, and sell more and probably grow the market just by properly targeting issues/re-issues.

as a bonus this set does not include the marbles and other crap, but is pretty much the same price as teh Pink Floyd boxes so far ....

there are very separate and avid collectors of Surround and of Vinyl, yet the record compays seem to want to lump them in together, in uber expesive boxes when with a little more careful marketing they could get a better per unit return, and sell more and probably grow the market just by properly targeting issues/re-issues
indeed. if one does try to chase two rabbits at same time - ends up with none to be catched.

It's a profit center as long as there are rabid collectors like most of us here. After the initial sales surge, they have the option of later releasing a scaled down version(s). If anyone thinks they're clueless regarding surround collectors, think again. We've all seen boneheaded record company decisions. Yet, I think they view surround music as a limited market, so they intend to squeeze every last $ out of rabid surround collectors

Linda, with all my respect, you're wrong. "rabid collectors" is a niche in small niche which in turns
also even smaller niche withing small niche. in such corporative marketing decision not a logical
marketing policies but brainless, based on pure greed, motivation. such "marketing" will not attract
new buyers more over even scare off good portion of existing consumers.

I guess count me out if this is the only way to get the surround mix. I don't need cds vinyl and a dvd - or the big box:(

Just to put everyone out of their misery - the Special Edtion is strictly stereo only. This on the Burning Shed site:
http://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/

Jethro Tull - Aqualung - 40th Anniversary Special Edition (double cd)

A commemorative Special Edition of Jethro Tull's classic 1971 album, featuring new stereo mixes by Steven Wilson.

The digi-pack presentation contains 2 cds and a 36 page booklet

The second disc contains additional 1970/1971 recordings.

This is now a count me out issue, just can not afford or justify the expense on this which is a shame. if it was 2 cds and a DVD would almost certainly ahve purchased. Just not that much of a Tull fan to get into a huge box with 50% built in redundancy.

I'm very much on the fence on this one, I really do like the album, but I also don't need or want an entire box full of random stuff at such a high price tag.

Just to put everyone out of their misery - the Special Edtion is strictly stereo only. This on the Burning Shed site:
http://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/

Jethro Tull - Aqualung - 40th Anniversary Special Edition (double cd)

A commemorative Special Edition of Jethro Tull's classic 1971 album, featuring new stereo mixes by Steven Wilson.

The digi-pack presentation contains 2 cds and a 36 page booklet

The second disc contains additional 1970/1971 recordings.

Does anyone know how this is mastered? If it is performed similarily to the recent remasters, I am not interested regardless of content.

It is very annoying that more and more 5.1 mixes are only available in ridiculously expensive deluxe sets. Of course people are gonna download torrents of the material they want!

The sad part is that the labels are almost forcing their target market to obtain the release of choice via the very method they claim is killing the industry. While many surround fans can justify paying $30+ for a new limited edition surround release, paying $100+ for a box of stuff that includes the surround release cannot be justified. This leads to the alternative, which does not benefit the artist, the label, or anyone else.

"Think McFly, think. How are you going to make any money for anyone if you don't package a product to your target audience?"

There's no reason not to do a simple CD/BR or CD/DVD-A sets for $30-$50 if you must charge even that amount. If not, the Record Company can "count all the money they didn't make." I suspect they'll be more folks who would have liked to buy this title in a smaller edition, but pass on the box for whatever reasons, mainly because $150+ is a lot of money right now. Either way, this is not being marketed properly and much money left on the table.

I'm going to yell - ATTENTION! The blu-ray is complete. Everything else is scattered. I want the blu-ray only. I can legally make my own CDR from the blu-ray for car playback.

BLU RAY

1. Aqualung (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
2. Cross-Eyed Mary (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
3. Cheap Day Return (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
4. Mother Goose (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
5. Wond'ring Aloud (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
6. Up To Me (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
7. My God (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
8. Hymn 43 (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
9. Slipstream (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
10. Locomotive Breath (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
11. Wind-Up (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
12. Lick Your Fingers Clean (New Mix) (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
13. My God (Early Version) (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
14. Up The 'Pool (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
15. Life Is A Long Song (New Mix) (5.1 Surround Sound Mix)
16. Aqualung (New Stereo Mix)
17. Cross-Eyed Mary (New Stereo Mix)
18. Cheap Day Return (New Stereo Mix)
19. Mother Goose (New Stereo Mix)
20. Wond'ring Aloud (New Stereo Mix)
21. Up To Me (New Stereo Mix)
22. My God (New Stereo Mix)
23. Hymn 43 (New Stereo Mix)
24. Slipstream (New Stereo Mix)
25. Locomotive Breath (New Stereo Mix)
26. Wind-Up (New Stereo Mix)
27. Lick Your Fingers Clean (New Mix)
28. Just Trying To Be (New Mix)
29. My God (Early Version)
30. Wond'ring Aloud (13th December 1970)
31. Wind-Up (Early Version - New Mix)
32. Slipstream (Take 2)
33. Up The 'Pool (Early Version)
34. Wond'ring Aloud, Again (Full Morgan Version)
35. Life Is A Long Song (New Mix)
36. Up The 'Pool (New Mix)
37. Dr Bogenbroom (2011 - Remaster)
38. From Later (2011 - Remaster)
39. Nursie (2011 - Remaster)
40. Aqualung
41. Cross-Eyed Mary
42. Cheap Day Return
43. Mother Goose
44. Wond'Ring Aloud
45. Up To Me
46. My God
47. Hymn 43
48. Slipstream
49. Locomotive Breath
50. Wind-Up
51. Aqualung (Quad Mix)
52. Cross-Eyed Mary (Quad Mix)
53. Cheap Day Return (Quad Mix)
54. Mother Goose (Quad Mix)
55. Wond'ring Aloud (Quad Mix)
56. Up To Me (Quad Mix)
57. My God (Quad Mix)
58. Hymn 43 (Quad Mix)
59. Slipstream (Quad Mix)
60. Locomotive Breath (Quad Mix)
61. Wind-Up (Quad Mix)

There's no reason not to do a simple CD/BR or CD/DVD-A sets for $30-$50 if you must charge even that amount. If not, the Record Company can "count all the money they didn't make." I suspect they'll be more folks who would have liked to buy this title in a smaller edition, but pass on the box for whatever reasons, mainly because $150+ is a lot of money right now. Either way, this is not being marketed properly and much money left on the table.

And the fans who want it but won't, or cant, spend the insane amount of money being asked for the set, will wait for someone to make a very high quality transfer with lossless DTS-HD/MA on Blu-ray or DVD-Audio/Video with MLP + dts 96/24 @ 1.5mbps + Dolby AC-3 @ 448kbps audio. And it will be free with no watermarking or region coding.

I don't condone piracy, but if that's the only way you can get a version you want, what else are we supposed to do? It would cost the record company almost nothing to release a stand-alone BD-A or DVD-A/V at a reasonable price ($19.95 maybe?), but they don't want to do that for whatever reason. So, audio piracy it is. And it's the studios own fault.

Back in June, EMI Canada confirmed that they were getting lots of comments about the fact that there was not going to be a hi-res surround mix of Aqualung. They said that they would "pass them along". Okay, so maybe we (and a lot of members over at "the other forum") changed some minds at EMI. Granted things are set now for the October releases but regardless of that we have nothing to lose (and who knows what we may gain down the road) by sending our comments to EMI about their marketing strategy.
Comments: http://www.emimusic.ca/#!/about/contact

If I do buy the big box i'll sell the vinyl since i'll never listen to it[might as well make some money on it].

Back