Jethro Tull - Stand Up (2CD/DVD Collector’s Edition)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've listened to this twice, both times with the DTS option and haven't heard anything that would change my answer from a check next to : "Just ambience/audience in the rears"... steve c

Thanks! I'm only interested in the 5.1 - If it sucks - I'm not buying this.

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/152042716
JETHRO TULL "Stand Up: 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition" 3 discs (Chrysalis, 4 stars)

"Stand Up," Jethro Tull's 1969 breakout, stands up. If "Thick as a Brick" or "Aqualung" annoys, this deserved, celebratory 40th (really, 41st)-anniversary box reminds that Tull was once a hungry, jamming four-piece ensemble, with Ian Anderson pouring out brilliant originals. Disc 1 is "Stand Up" remastered: Tull investigates classical, Celtic, jazz, folk, from "New Day Yesterday," a clever blues-riffer, to "Bouree," the Bach takeoff that made the band famous, to "Reasons for Waiting," proof Anderson can write pretty ballads. "Living in the Past" is here, too, in stereo and glorious mono. It might be Tull's best-written collection. Martin Barre had just joined as guitarist, which he's been ever since. He transformed the band's sound and arrangements, and original drummer Clive Bunker and bass man Glenn Cornick were madly propulsive. Extra tunes are here, plus a four-set BBC fling, complete with tape hiss and in-your-living-room vibe. Discs 2 and 3 offer a wild, thrashing, November 1970 concert at Carnegie Hall (by which time pianist John Evan had joined), with eight tracks not released before. Skip the MP3 of Disc 2, get headphones, and listen to the DVD/DTS of Disc 3 _ far superior sound. Too bad there's no video; half the fun of Tull was/is the stage show. A 45-minute chat with Anderson is informative and piquant. This box, redolent with 1969-1970, gives a long, vivid look at Ian A. and mates in leaping-gnome troubadour white heat. Best of all, it's got that cool cutout that stands up when you open the front flap!

_John Timpane

QUOTE=tootull;119133]Thanks! I'm only interested in the 5.1 - If it sucks - I'm not buying this.[/QUOTE]

For someone not buying this because of the 5.1 sucking, you seem to have a lot of interest in the non-surround elements - you've single-handedly kept this thread alive with an endless supply of links to all things Tull and the release. If you're such a fan, go ahead and buy it. Otherwise, why all the fuss? :confused:

And it's only the giving that makes you what you are. - Ian Anderson

A little too Tull of me. Then again, it's not all about me. ;) Though, I'm shocked that they used the 2001 remaster, SHOCKED! I'm happy in stereo thanks to Mobile Fidelity.

Don't hurt me...LOL

I pray maybe someday someone will do another remaster of Broadsword and the Beast and do a surround mix. Always love Tull news!

I pray maybe someday someone will do another remaster of Broadsword and the Beast and do a surround mix. Always love Tull news!

Right on! Pray on! (me too) My favourite '80's Tull.
Tull news posts = giving back to the band that has given me the music that I enjoy the most.

Cheers!

...wish good luck...make the clasp

I bought this when it first came out as an import. It's my 5th copy of this, my fave Tull. I have the Mofi gold CD. Sad that the album itself isn't 5.1. It's exactly what I expected, except there appears to actually be three discrete channels across the front on the DVD. I wasn't expecting any sonic improvements on the album itself. I just bought it for the extras.

Yes, Broadsword is one of my fave Tulls, so 5.1 would be great. Maybe they'll redo Benefit, which is sorely in need. I don't hold out a lot of hope for Living in the Past in 5.1, as it is a compilation. My Mofi of that sounds very good.

Back