DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
I just got one of my 7yo twin boys to read the newspaper in TAAB. He wanted to do the crossword puzzle and I told him I didn't want him writing in the DVD package newspaper...then he said "can I at least do the connect the dots?" I said nooo!!!

Ooohhhh scary --- my 8 year old wanted to connect the dots too!!!!!

Just received the cd+dvd set yesterday. Although mine was damaged (one rip on the front and one corner dinged - got a $10 promo from Amazon for this), I really liked the packaging. The sound was very good and I liked the surround mix but I did think it was a bit loud (and too bright in parts) and could have used a bit more bass. A solid 8+ for me :)

Just received the cd+dvd set yesterday. Although mine was damaged (one rip on the front and one corner dinged - got a $10 promo from Amazon for this), I really liked the packaging. The sound was very good and I liked the surround mix but I did think it was a bit loud (and too bright in parts) and could have used a bit more bass. A solid 8+ for me :)

sorry to hear it arrived damaged :( did you get any of the glitches as reported by others?

The packaging is very nice. I like it. I don't see any page ordering issues in the booklet like someone else reported.

I do hear the couple audio glitches that were reported. However, they are the least of my concerns. I find the audio balance way too bright. The cymbals are too pronounced in the mix, and are not crisp at all. They sound digitally compressed, like a 128kbps mp3, although I know that doesn't make sense. At first, I thought maybe it was the DTS compression, but the stereo mix is nearly as bad. The original stereo mix is quite a bit better.

I know my system is very revealing, but I've never had this complaint with many other of my DVDA discs or SACDs. Metallica Black album is the only other one I can think of that is this bright, and I think it sounds better than this. I couldn't even get through the whole thing. It was simply painful. I am sure the mix is good (I always like a SW mix), but I was so distracted by the cymbals that I couldn't enjoy it.

I thought maybe I was just having an off night, so I put on KC LTiA immediately after, cranked it up, and it was pure heaven.

I really enjoyed both Aqualung and TaaB2, I don't know what happened here. Poorly mastered maybe? I can't imagine SW giving it this kind of balance.

I'll give it one more try sometime today. But, so far I am very disappointed. I am thinking 6 is the best I can do. I suspect I'll be putting this up for sale.

The packaging is very nice. I like it. I don't see any page ordering issues in the booklet like someone else reported.

The ordering problem is with the pages displayed "on-screen", when it gets to display pages 4-5 you get page 5 then page 4...:mad:@:

I do hear the couple audio glitches that were reported. However, they are the least of my concerns. I find the audio balance way too bright. The cymbals are too pronounced in the mix, and are not crisp at all. They sound digitally compressed, like a 128kbps mp3, although I know that doesn't make sense. At first, I thought maybe it was the DTS compression, but the stereo mix is nearly as bad. The original stereo mix is quite a bit better.

I know my system is very revealing, but I've never had this complaint with many other of my DVDA discs or SACDs. Metallica Black album is the only other one I can think of that is this bright, and I think it sounds better than this. I couldn't even get through the whole thing. It was simply painful. I am sure the mix is good (I always like a SW mix), but I was so distracted by the cymbals that I couldn't enjoy it.

I thought maybe I was just having an off night, so I put on KC LTiA immediately after, cranked it up, and it was pure heaven.

I really enjoyed both Aqualung and TaaB2, I don't know what happened here. Poorly mastered maybe? I can't imagine SW giving it this kind of balance.

I'll give it one more try sometime today. But, so far I am very disappointed. I am thinking 6 is the best I can do. I suspect I'll be putting this up for sale.

I had the exact same experience, and I did the exact same thing afterwards (played LTiA to readjust my ears to a good sound to make certain I wasn't imagining things). I even posted about it in the Steve Hoffman forum.

With the glitches, the super-bright tonal balance, the lack of lossless, this set is a lost opportunity for me. I hope that when (if) EMI makes a corrected pressing, they also use the mixes PRE-mastering this time (like the ELP sets did).

Last edited:
I had the exact same experience, and I did the exact same thing afterwards (played LTiA to readjust my ears to a good sound to make certain I wasn't imagining things). I even posted about it in the Steve Hoffman forum.

Wow... glad to hear it isn't just me, since many folks here thought it sounded alright.

I agree. It is definitely an opportunity missed. It really surprises me too, since Aqualung and TAAB2 sounded really good. Why such inconsistency in mastering? Doesn't anybody listen to these things before they are released?

I still can't get over those cymbals starting at 6:00 and going on for 5 minutes. What happened there? It sounds plain ugly, like that part was compressed in low-bitrate MP3 back and forth several times.

here's my dilemma with these new releases of surround music (I don't think I'm alone in all of this):

I pre-order them as soon as they're announced, in the hope that it won't just be me and a healthy number of folks like us will do likewise so that the release will actually happen.. and that it will support the cause and encourage the labels to continue to trickle these releases out.

that approach didn't help the cause of the Stephen Stills CD/DVDA set from Rhino that I pre-ordered 'Day 1' that regrettably never emerged.. but still the good intention is there.

I buy these things day 1 as I'm excited to hear the surround mix as soon as possible.. also to avoid "missing the boat" if it turns out to be a limited run, or a one-off pressing.

"Early adopter" = "caveat emptor", you run the risk of pitfalls in that the release could have "issues".. nearly ALL the surround releases in the last few years have had problems of one kind or another (whether packaging-related, digital glitch-related, etc)..

..so you either swallow it and live with what you've got, flaws and all, or send it back and gamble on getting a "fixed" version down the line. meantime you're without a product you paid good money for and so you can't enjoy it in any way at all, regardless of the flaws in the one you just sent back.

I'll still be getting the Zeppelin BD-Audio 'Day 1' on the 19th of this month.. but I'm dreading some problem with that.. or that, as nobody else will have heard it at that point either, that it will just turn out to be a pointless "stage" surround mix and be no different from the BD-Video.. I'm already preparing myself for the worst.. that way I may not be so disappointed when it turns out to be just another missed opportunity :(

I still can't get over those cymbals starting at 6:00 and going on for 5 minutes. What happened there? It sounds plain ugly, like that part was compressed in low-bitrate MP3 back and forth several times.

I thought that must be some kind of stylistic "effect" on the cymbal crashes.. they do sound water-y/warble-y and have that nasty mp3-like compression quality to them.. but I didn't imagine they could be anything else but intentional.. so I guess they're another goof to add to the list of goofs on this latest surround release..!?

I can't believe these things are not played through to check for problems.. does SW even get to hear the finished product that will go out to retail..?

once the DVD mastering is done are faults looked for in that regard..?

then there's the question mark hanging over the DVD-V replication on these releases, does anybody take a representative sample of one of the DVD's and "quality control" them for glitches..?

I'm curious to know at what stage in the production of these sets that these "digital glitches" and 'sonic anomalies' manage to creep in..?

I'm just a surround music lover, I've no clue about the technical nitty gritty.. I just expect that in 2012 the record companies might actually be able to deliver a product that's "fit for purpose" and not strewn with problems.. is that too much to ask?

With LP's, being the first kid on the block to own it assured you of getting a record pressed from a new stamper, rather than one that was worn. The jacket itself was complete, rather than the cheaper, less deluxe version that often appeared later. Numbered Beatles white albums, embossed Santana Welcome, gatefold Can't Buy a Thrill, etc.

Occassionally, the first LP pressing had a problem like War's Deliver the Word or Son of Schmilsson, where all the first batch had a skip.

Digital media is the opposite. Usually, later pressings are likely to sound better, have more complete notes and be glitch free.

Why can't these money grubbing jerks (a kinder term than the one I'm thinking) at the labels, especially EMI get it right the first time?

Digital media is the opposite. Usually, later pressings are likely to sound better, have more complete notes and be glitch free.

Actually no, later digital pressings won't sound better. Some initial glitches may be removed with the second pressing, but some others will be introduced with later pressings (due to bad digital replication without a data integrity check, like CRC).

Why can't these money grubbing jerks (a kinder term than the one I'm thinking) at the labels, especially EMI get it right the first time?

The music industry shrinks (or gets distributed), so less personnel is available for the label's quality assurance.

Gave it a 4. Mix is an 8 but the score takes into account the brightness and the glitches. This shouldn't happen. Any of us could have picked this out pre-production.

Back