Jimi Hendrix - "Electric Ladyland" (50th Anniversary Edition with new 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray) 11/9/2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guitar solos are mainly front speakers based but there is deff panning going around at various stages, Eddie has used the rears mainly for the drums and other percussion. It still sounds great to these lugholes.

But if that's not enough for you wait to you have heard Voodoo Child (Slight Return)....oh my.

Thanks!! I usually prefer when the separate the guitars overdubs. Is it just the solos that are mainly front or rhythm guitar parts as well? Man, I feel like a little kid waiting to open presents on Xmas morning.

Now that is interesting...it's got no center. Sort of like the Alan Parsons approach.

only a couple of tracks in but so far some lovely isolated vocals in the Centre channel on "Crosstown Traffic"

edit: i should clarify, so far this appears to be a 'lead vocals all round' style surround presentation but if you isolate the Centre channel, just for fun/cause we can = some spellbinding vocals in there.

Nice!

Dave Mason backing vocals in the rear?

very nice indeed! i'm stunned at how good this is. after ISOTLC i was fearing the worst!

not checked the Rears out yet (enjoying the mix as a whole too much) but it felt like harmony vocals with higher register appeared to come from Rear Left and lower bv's maybe from Rear Right

very nice indeed! i'm stunned at how good this is. after ISOTLC i was fearing the worst!

not checked the Rears out yet (enjoying the mix as a whole too much) but it felt like harmony vocals with higher register appeared to come from Rear Left and lower bv's maybe from Rear Right

This sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to get my copy.

That's the first thing I would do too. I'm real curious how the guitar solo sounds on "All along the Watchtower" in Surround.

it pans from Front to Rear and around and back again! marvellous! :rocks

as François showed earlier with a waveform pic there is nothing happening in the Centre channel on the 5.1 of "Watchtower", which is funny as there is some Centre channel activity on just about every other track i could make out and in some instances quite a lot going on in there!

edit: phew that was quite a lot to take in in one sitting.. and after all the crazy panning on "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" i need a lay down! :p

"All Along The Watchtower" sounds the least hi-fi/most lo-fi of all the tracks, maybe the basic tracks aren't in as great nick as the rest of the album?
also it is mixed differently to everything else, its like an old QS Quad decode or something, with no Centre channel isolated vocals, the bulk of the drums are upfront unlike the 5.1 of much of the rest of the album and its not a lead vocals all round mix like the other tracks in 5.1 either but has kinda fainter almost phase-cancelled out sounding vocals in the Rears.. could it be an upmix or just a different approach necessitated by multitrack elements available..? hmm.. :unsure: oh I don't care i'm enjoying it all too much! I feel a "10" coming on.. :ROFLMAO:

Waveforms for the complete album:

Capture d’écran 2018-11-09 à 20.05.58.png

"All Along The Watchtower" sounds the least hi-fi/most lo-fi of all the tracks, maybe the basic tracks aren't in as great nick as the rest of the album?
also it is mixed differently to everything else, its like an old QS Quad decode or something, with no Centre channel isolated vocals, the bulk of the drums are upfront unlike the 5.1 of much of the rest of the album and its not a lead vocals all round mix like the other tracks in 5.1 either but has kinda fainter almost phase-cancelled out sounding vocals in the Rears.. could it be an upmix or just a different approach necessitated by multitrack elements available..? hmm.. :unsure: oh I don't care i'm enjoying it all too much! I feel a "10" coming on.. :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like the same impression I got on "The Weight" from Big Pink.

Back