Jimi Hendrix - "Electric Ladyland" (50th Anniversary Edition with new 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray) 11/9/2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I've just finished listening to the 5.1 surround mix for the second time. I've never owned the album so I'm not overly familiar with, or overly precious about the original stereo mix. I've not heard the new stereo mix either and in light of the comments about it's poor mastering I have a question for my fellow QQ'ers...

Once you've heard the 5.1 mix of this album, why on earth would you want to listen to the stereo version ever again??? :unsure:

Ok, I've just finished listening to the 5.1 surround mix for the second time. I've never owned the album so I'm not overly familiar with, or overly precious about the original stereo mix. I've not heard the new stereo mix either and in light of the comments about it's poor mastering I have a question for my fellow QQ'ers...

Once you've heard the 5.1 mix of this album, why on earth would you want to listen to the stereo version ever again??? :unsure:

In one!!

Er..Whats stereo? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just got mine today from BullMoose. Packed safely, nicely, no damage, no bent corners!

I hate to admit this, but like Simon M (above), I am not that familiar with this album. I sorta missed the whole Hendrix thing way back when. Not sure how. I am sure I know most of it by osmosis, but I never have owned this album. So, it's about time, eh?

Just got mine today from BullMoose. Packed safely, nicely, no damage, no bent corners!

I hate to admit this, but like Simon M (above), I am not that familiar with this album. I sorta missed the whole Hendrix thing way back when. Not sure how. I am sure I know most of it by osmosis, but I never have owned this album. So, it's about time, eh?
You know, I think lack of familiarity sometimes yields the most enjoyment when listening to a surround mix for the first time ;)

Jon....50 years is no time at all to catch up on all this sublime goodness.

Do not take things too seriously.

There is one thing that I take seriously on here...and Jon Urban does too...once you are banned...you stay banned...coming back as Paul Michael you had a second chance to "not" act like a troll...but you opted to go that route....so again

KEENLY you have shown your true colors....you can find another place to flame...which will probably end up the same way...:hi

I am super excited (or is that relieved?) to read all these raves about the surround mix. It was, by far, the most important part of this set for me, so when that seems to be the only undisputed success of the set, then what else can we say but WOOOHOOO!

If reports are accurate the regular CD is loud and clipped, outtakes disc is cool but too little too late, live show is a joke when attached to this set, even the high-res 2.0 disc is highly criticized. But the one thing that should, must not be f-ed up, they got it right. YES!!!!

I was so happy to read this and the great reports on the White Album surround mix that I treated myself also to the Beatles Super Deluxe set which I had sworn not to get. I was going to wait it out and see if I got tempted when it was in stores. Ironically, the very last record store in town closed shop two weeks ago, so nothing here to tempt me, but on a family trip to Sweden this weekend I stumbled on the last copy of the 6CD+BR set and just had to get it. Will listen tomorrow night.

The jewel in the crown though, the surround mix of Electric Ladyland, one of the absolute top 5 albums of all time, will have to wait until my set gets here sometime next week. In the meantime, keep the reports coming!

I was surprised how much of this I’ve never heard before, or maybe only once before. This is not an album full of “hits”, maybe only 2 or 3. But having now listened to it a couple of times as a complete cohesive album, it works. It’s a psychedelic freakout fest, and of course works great in surround. Little surprises around every corner (as Willy Wonka would say).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't believe how this album has flown under the radar for so many here. The first person to give their impression on SHF hadn't heard it before either. I just assumed everyone had this album in their collection...

Here's the entire album. It looks like one of those with a "Full Frequency" LFE. That always confuses me

Hendrix.jpg

Thanks Jon!

So, um, this could just be a personal preference thing and I don't want to start any panic over nothing, but to me "Crosstown Traffic" makes so much more sense if you swap front right with left rear. Puts the drums more upfront, the vocal and guitar more obviously jump front to back, etc. As is it seems very left side heavy, the vocals and drums seem to favor the left side of my room. Really weird...

Another oddity, "All Along the Watchtower". The Center channel is pretty much silent except for two blips!

View attachment 36510
"Crosstown Traffic" and "All Along the Watchtower" were recorded on four track equipment at Olympic Studios
I wonder if this is a factor?
Originally posted by esimms86

Back