Jimi Hendrix - "Electric Ladyland" (50th Anniversary Edition with new 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray) 11/9/2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lady has landed. ;-) Do I go straight to the 5.1 mix or check out the 2.0 first? Decisions, decisions....

View attachment 36459

5.1 all the way. The 2.0 sounds horrible by comparison.

I did a quick comparison of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and it is night and day. The 5.1 has slamming bass drum, for example, while the 2.0 sounds anemic. I’ll never listen to the 2.0 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"All Along The Watchtower" sounds the least hi-fi/most lo-fi of all the tracks, maybe the basic tracks aren't in as great nick as the rest of the album?
also it is mixed differently to everything else, its like an old QS Quad decode or something, with no Centre channel isolated vocals, the bulk of the drums are upfront unlike the 5.1 of much of the rest of the album and its not a lead vocals all round mix like the other tracks in 5.1 either but has kinda fainter almost phase-cancelled out sounding vocals in the Rears.. could it be an upmix or just a different approach necessitated by multitrack elements available..? hmm.. :unsure: oh I don't care i'm enjoying it all too much! I feel a "10" coming on.. :ROFLMAO:
"Crosstown Traffic" and "All Along the Watchtower" were recorded on four track equipment at Olympic Studios. The rest of the album was recorded on a 12 track machine at the Record Plant.

ELL and the White Album. Wow! Two 10's arrive in the mail on the same day. 11/9/2018 is a day that all QQers everywhere will be talking about in reverent tones forever.

5.1 all the way. The 2.0 sounds horrible by comparison.

I did a quick comparison of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and it is night and day. The 5.1 has slamming bass drum, for example, while the 2.0 sounds anemic. I’ll never listen to the 2.0 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I ripped the 2.0 to my iPod for listening in the car. Unfortunately to my ears the regular compact disc source sounds compressed as heck. But I did not have it on CD.

OK, OK, I am sending back, this was hard because I wanted to listen, but also this was not cheap.

In the past they have offered to refund me 30% to keep a damaged item. You could make the suggestion if you are so inclined.
Heck ask for more.

I have a lot of experience with this, I’d say 50% of the box sets I buy from Amazon Canada arrive damaged in some way or other. On my Ladyland order I have a largish Blu-Ray set too, I’m hoping the size forced them to box it

In the past they have offered to refund me 30% to keep a damaged item. You could make the suggestion if you are so inclined.
Heck ask for more.

I have a lot of experience with this, I’d say 50% of the box sets I buy from Amazon Canada arrive damaged in some way or other. On my Ladyland order I have a largish Blu-Ray set too, I’m hoping the size forced them to box it

Mine was in box with bubble wrap on only one side, ridiculous. So of course the corner that was damaged was the no bubble wrap side, even the corner of the box seam was split open.

Has anyone compared the stereo CD of the album that was included with the 50th Anniversary to other CD versions available prior to this new release? I mean the 5.1 mix is great - the main reason I bought it, but why would the regular CD version be inferior with this new release?

Got the trifecta delivered last night, only listened to ELL so far...and all I can say is WOW! No need to repeat what everyone else has already said, but 1983 blew me away...and once Still Raining kicked in I nearly jumped off the couch. Also got some good news from Amazon --

Electric Ladyland - 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
Price on order date: $59.98
Price charged at shipping: $42.39
Total Savings: $17.59

r.html
This is what I received from Amazon.com about my order of EL the 6 LP set😀😀

Greetings from Amazon.com.
You saved $26.19 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.
The following title(s) decreased in price:
Electric Ladyland - 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
Price on order date: $110.98
Price charged at shipping: $84.79
Lowest price before release date: $84.79
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: $26.19

r.html

These two might be the final say about classic albums and setting a standard, and going to need deluxe boxes, yessss, and that means a 5.1 mix is simply standard fare (when tapes are still available).

If you don't do a 5.1 - nor provide a vintage 4.0, then you really are not fully Super Deluxe.

So I tried to cancel my order but too late, it's shipped. Now debating whether I keep it for the 5.1 given the negative reviews for the rest of the box???????

Keep it for the 5.1 blu-ray and the book, it's a bargain for the price.
Consider the CDs throwaways, listen-oncers, give-aways for Christmas presents, trade fodder, Goodwill donations, etc.

You will kick yourself if you don't own this in surround.
There's almost never this level of universal acclaim for a 50-year-old re-mix re-issue on this forum.

Back