Jimi Hendrix Experience--Live in MAUI Blu-ray release with 5.1 Mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clement

Stay Surrounded, Comrades!
QQ Supporter
Spending my lunch break looking for surround, and look what I found!
Experience Hendrix announces a brand new collection that couples the brand new feature length documentary Music, Money, Madness . . . Jimi Hendrix In Maui with the accompanying live performances on both audio and video. The film chronicles the Jimi Hendrix Experience s storied visit to Maui, their performance on the dormant lower crater of Haleakala volcano on the island and how the band became ensnared with the ill-fated Rainbow Bridge movie produced by their controversial manager Michael Jeffery. Directed by John McDermott and produced by Janie Hendrix, George Scott and McDermott, the documentary incorporates never before released original footage and new interviews with firsthand participants and key players such as Billy Cox, Eddie Kramer, Warner Bros. executives and several Rainbow Bridge cast members, as well as its director Chuck Wein. The Blu-ray will include the full documentary as well as the 16mm color film shot of the two afternoon performances captured on July 30, 1970 mixed in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound. Also included in the package will be Live In Maui both of the aforementioned sets spread across 2 CDs, newly restored and mixed by longtime Jimi Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer, and mastered by Bernie Grundman. The 2 sets finds The Experience - Hendrix, Billy Cox on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums - at the height of its powers playing flawlessly against a stunning natural backdrop. Included are breathtaking renditions of crowd favorites like "Foxey Lady," "Purple Haze" and Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," as well as then-unreleased songs like "Dolly Dagger" and "Freedom" that showcased the new direction Hendrix was moving toward.
https://theseconddisc.com/2020/09/1...rdings-arrive-on-live-in-maui-album-and-film/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGP1BN9/?tag=thesecdis-20Stay Surrounded, Comrades!

I'm a huge Hendrix fan, but I'll probably pass on this. If it had included a surround mix of "the meticulously overdubbed soundtrack album which premiered Hendrix studio material," especially the exquisite song Pali Gap, I'd be all in.

Who do you think you're kidding, Mr Pali Gap? :ROFLMAO:
You're all in on this for $30.
Just in time for Christmas. 🎄

Streaming the Voodoo Slight Return teaser track in HD on Ammo Muzik.
I hear plenty of bass and double kick drum, the guitar is tripping me out, best live sound I've ever heard captured from this band.

IMG_4941.jpeg

I picked up the Electric L-L 50th release for the 5.1 surround content. But wow, the Hendrix estate is beating this to death. Just more of the same tracks we've heard over and over.

The problem with older video content is its relegated to 4:3 format rather than 16:9 so there's no point in having this on Blu-Ray.

Who do you think you're kidding, Mr Pali Gap? :ROFLMAO:
You're all in on this for $30.
Just in time for Christmas. 🎄

Streaming the Voodoo Slight Return teaser track in HD on Ammo Muzik.
I hear plenty of bass and double kick drum, the guitar is tripping me out, best live sound I've ever heard captured from this band.

View attachment 56156
I might reconsider, but it's still a missed opportunity.

I picked up the Electric L-L 50th release for the 5.1 surround content. But wow, the Hendrix estate is beating this to death. Just more of the same tracks we've heard over and over.

The problem with older video content is its relegated to 4:3 format rather than 16:9 so there's no point in having this on Blu-Ray.

The audio remix in 5.1 hi-res is the whole point for me.
YMMV

Back