Jimi Hendrix Experience--Live in MAUI Blu-ray release with 5.1 Mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Footage looks pretty good for something filmed fifty years ago....

Man you're not kidding, pretty incredible. Could almost read the label on that Bud. can. Those were some real lucky young and tanned fans at that show; perfect weather with Hendrix. Just thought the camera guys are zoomed into the crowd too much.

Someone has to say something about the multitracks. I thought the drum tracks were lost. Something about sync problems with multiple decks. Can I speculate that maybe the issue was the 2nd multitrack tape out of sync? And they called it lost because veri-speeding it back into sync would have been impossible back then? And they have it restored now and have made a fully discreet 5.1 mix from a full set of multitracks? This would be unbelievable great if that wishful thinking comes to be!

Someone has to say something about that! Or we might get cynical and guess this is yet another bootleg sounding affair (and then with audience and reverb only in the rear channels of the 5.1 mix).

Mitch overdubbed drums on a couple of the tracks. Or at least only a couple of them snuck out. They released one or two of those tracks on the big purple 8 album box. You can easily hear it. It didn't turn out that well.

Spending my lunch break looking for surround, and look what I found!
Experience Hendrix announces a brand new collection that couples the brand new feature length documentary Music, Money, Madness . . . Jimi Hendrix In Maui with the accompanying live performances on both audio and video. The film chronicles the Jimi Hendrix Experience s storied visit to Maui, their performance on the dormant lower crater of Haleakala volcano on the island and how the band became ensnared with the ill-fated Rainbow Bridge movie produced by their controversial manager Michael Jeffery. Directed by John McDermott and produced by Janie Hendrix, George Scott and McDermott, the documentary incorporates never before released original footage and new interviews with firsthand participants and key players such as Billy Cox, Eddie Kramer, Warner Bros. executives and several Rainbow Bridge cast members, as well as its director Chuck Wein. The Blu-ray will include the full documentary as well as the 16mm color film shot of the two afternoon performances captured on July 30, 1970 mixed in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound. Also included in the package will be Live In Maui both of the aforementioned sets spread across 2 CDs, newly restored and mixed by longtime Jimi Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer, and mastered by Bernie Grundman. The 2 sets finds The Experience - Hendrix, Billy Cox on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums - at the height of its powers playing flawlessly against a stunning natural backdrop. Included are breathtaking renditions of crowd favorites like "Foxey Lady," "Purple Haze" and Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," as well as then-unreleased songs like "Dolly Dagger" and "Freedom" that showcased the new direction Hendrix was moving toward.
https://theseconddisc.com/2020/09/1...rdings-arrive-on-live-in-maui-album-and-film/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGP1BN9/?tag=thesecdis-20Stay Surrounded, Comrades!
Ordered!!!!

Who do you think you're kidding, Mr Pali Gap? :ROFLMAO:
You're all in on this for $30.
Just in time for Christmas. 🎄

Streaming the Voodoo Slight Return teaser track in HD on Ammo Muzik.
I hear plenty of bass and double kick drum, the guitar is tripping me out, best live sound I've ever heard captured from this band.

View attachment 56156
Link please.....its ok only read the 1st few comments before posting..not realizing someone had already posted it :)

Last edited:
Spending my lunch break looking for surround, and look what I found!
Experience Hendrix announces a brand new collection that couples the brand new feature length documentary Music, Money, Madness . . . Jimi Hendrix In Maui with the accompanying live performances on both audio and video. The film chronicles the Jimi Hendrix Experience s storied visit to Maui, their performance on the dormant lower crater of Haleakala volcano on the island and how the band became ensnared with the ill-fated Rainbow Bridge movie produced by their controversial manager Michael Jeffery. Directed by John McDermott and produced by Janie Hendrix, George Scott and McDermott, the documentary incorporates never before released original footage and new interviews with firsthand participants and key players such as Billy Cox, Eddie Kramer, Warner Bros. executives and several Rainbow Bridge cast members, as well as its director Chuck Wein. The Blu-ray will include the full documentary as well as the 16mm color film shot of the two afternoon performances captured on July 30, 1970 mixed in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound. Also included in the package will be Live In Maui both of the aforementioned sets spread across 2 CDs, newly restored and mixed by longtime Jimi Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer, and mastered by Bernie Grundman. The 2 sets finds The Experience - Hendrix, Billy Cox on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums - at the height of its powers playing flawlessly against a stunning natural backdrop. Included are breathtaking renditions of crowd favorites like "Foxey Lady," "Purple Haze" and Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," as well as then-unreleased songs like "Dolly Dagger" and "Freedom" that showcased the new direction Hendrix was moving toward.
https://theseconddisc.com/2020/09/1...rdings-arrive-on-live-in-maui-album-and-film/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGP1BN9/?tag=thesecdis-20Stay Surrounded, Comrades!
Awesome find Clement, just pre ordered $32.38 out the door.

Great find - thanks. Ordered! Looking forward to this one to keep me warm as the weather turns cold in New England.

Man you're not kidding, pretty incredible. Could almost read the label on that Bud. can. Those were some real lucky young and tanned fans at that show; perfect weather with Hendrix. Just thought the camera guys are zoomed into the crowd too much.
That video alone is worth the price of admission. I mean, damn, that footage is insanely good!!!

I picked up the Electric L-L 50th release for the 5.1 surround content. But wow, the Hendrix estate is beating this to death. Just more of the same tracks we've heard over and over.

The problem with older video content is its relegated to 4:3 format rather than 16:9 so there's no point in having this on Blu-Ray.

Huh? The point of BluRay video is the higher video resolution, not the aspect ratio. Plain DVD can do 16:9 too.

Well I just pre-ordered from amazon.co.uk (released 20th Nov.) :LB

I paid £28.99 and you guys pay $29.98 and then Bezos' bozoes added a 30-day Prime 'free' trial even though I had already clicked to say I didn't want it! :mad: I did manage to delete the free trial, but sh*t doesn't Bezos think he has got enough dosh of mine and everybody else's yet! :poop:

It'll be interesting to see how Kramer's live surround mixing style differs from studio stuff. He's credited for the 5.1 mix on Hendrix's Live At Woodstock DVD from 2005. Has anyone heard this?
It's the stereo mix in front. There's some audience isolated in the rears. Might have been done in mastering rather than an intentional ambient-only rear surround mix. Hard to say. Inexcusable if this was done as an intentional mix. Same deal with the Isle Of Wight mix on the video editions.

I've had the impression this stuff was kept out of Kramer's hands this whole time. All the CD reissues and the video DVD and bluray editions. The Electric Ladyland reissue is the very first digital Hendrix release that feels genuine after all this time. Fingers crossed that this one will be the 2nd!

I can speculate all day long of course...
I would have expected talk like "Restored multitracks and a full mix for the first time!" This one was the big bummer with the lost recording.

Back