Joe Satriani - "Satchurated Live In Montreal" Blu Ray (2D/3D Dolby TruHD 7.1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This release is notable for being the first live concert disc in 3D and Dolby TruHD 7.1 - neither of which I have the current capacity to experience. I can tell you however that in 2D and Dolby TruHD 5.1 it's still pretty hot - that is, if you loves yourself about 2 1/2 hours of live guitar wanking like nobody's business. The surround mix is pretty damn good for a live show - Joe's guitar and Mike Keneally's keys are isolated in the FL/FR/RL/RR and I will assume the additional rears for the 7.1. The rest of the band is spread out through the fronts. The fidelity is clear and crisp and the dynamic range is spectacular - you can crank this sucker without any fear of volume fatigue or distortion. I do wish the drums were a tad bit louder in the mix but it is a minor quibble - they sound fine, and quite frankly as long as they don't step on Joe's toes I'm a happy camper. If you're not a Satch fan, this probably won't change your mind - but if like me, you find joy in sitting down for a couple of hours with your mouth unhinged in the "holy f*%k how does he do that" position then you'll definitely want to own this.

I agree... I don't have 3D or 7.1 but this sounds so great in 5.1 Dolby TruHD. I wish more concerts were mixed like this. Clear guitar and keys wrapping around to the rears giving a huge sound. This is going to sound great in the car. This one is highly recommended by moi!! I would give the audio 5 stars and the video 3.5 to 4 stars.

This is great, thanks for the heads up!

I met Mike in 1989 thru a mutual friend and watched him play a house party with same last year in San Diego. He also plays in wonderful projects and provided a lot of great FB updates on this tour. He produced and played all over my friends' band The Assumptions.

Although it is by no means the first 3D concert BD, it might be the first with a 7.1 mix. To watch (this) in 3D you must sit in the sweet spot with you 3D glasses on, so you have to be quite a Satriani (guitar shredding) fan.
Though he is a fabulous guitarist, most tracks have been on previous live DVDs, so it is probably a good thing he used state of the art technology for this one. Makes it more future proof and looks amazing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I am going to have to pick this one up. I don't have 3D in my theater, but I do have 7.1, and I don't think I have any other concert material with a discrete 7.1 mix.

Brad

FYI
Afaik the mch mix is 16 bit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Stupid question perhaps but if I only have 5.1 setup, what happens to the two channels that I am missing, will my receiver send them to other speakers?

FYI
Afaik the mch mix is 16 bit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The mix is 24/96 lossless - there are conflicting bits of info out there - but I have extracted the TruHD stream to make a DTS compatible version for my car system and can confirm 24/96.

Stupid question perhaps but if I only have 5.1 setup, what happens to the two channels that I am missing, will my receiver send them to other speakers?

Your system should fold down the the 2 add'l channels automatically - the content AFAIK is virtually identical to the rears anyway. I have a 5.1 system with TruHD capability and it sounds great!

Back