John Mellencamp Scarecrow ATMOS Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The final decision I made in September of 2021 to purchase a turntable and spin vinyl again was one of the best choices I made and should have done it a long time ago. For decades, I missed that connection with music. To me, digital music can be good but a lot of it sounds flat and doesn’t compare to a well mastered vinyl album. When comparing a CD and vinyl, the soundstage is more 3-dimensional with the latter. Whereas, the CD sounds flat and less involving.
Do you know why vinyl sounds the way it does?
Here's just part of the reasons,
https://www.gottagrooverecords.com/vinyl-mastering/

The Atmos mix of Scarecrow is definitely not an upmix from stereo, there are some discrete elements such as the backing vocals in the front heights during "Rain On The Scarecrow" and mandolin in the sides throughout the acoustic version of "Small Town".
I raised the volume on the back speakers which improved the sound very much and revealed the discrete moments which are well done i think

I’ve read that before but don’t know what your getting at? Please, explain.
In short, those attributes of the sound on vinyl you find pleasing are the result of distortions of the source material. Your not hearing what the artists and engineers intended, your hearing many other alterations of what went on the master tape. There are quite a few more like wow & flutter, surface noise, speed irregularities, etc, etc.
I'm not attacking your preferences, just making you aware that digital offers a many times more accurate presentation of the master tape and the artists intentions.

From what I am reading here on this thread, Scarecrow SDE has a pretty poor Atmos mix or do I have that incorrect? What is the point of purchasing Scarecrow even at $84.65 then.
Also: Having Vinyl and Blu ray Atmos discs together in box sets doesn’t seem to please anyone IMO.

In short, those attributes of the sound on vinyl you find pleasing are the result of distortions of the source material. Your not hearing what the artists and engineers intended, your hearing many other alterations of what went on the master tape. There are quite a few more like wow & flutter, surface noise, speed irregularities, etc, etc.
I'm not attacking your preferences, just making you aware that digital offers a many times more accurate presentation of the master tape and the artists intentions.

It has to be on a case by case basis; there are some albums that are ONLY remastered on vinyl and one may prefer the remastering if it's done right vs. the clipped, brickwalled mess that was the CD if done wrong.

In both cases, not the format's fault but those responsible for the mastering.

I helped with QC on the 20th anniversary of Dave Matthews Band's Crash - the original album (1996) was recorded by Steve Lillywhite all analogue and also mixed analogue to a stereo analogue master. The CD has copious amounts of clipping, mastered by Ted Jensen so not much of a surprise there, and it had never seen a vinyl pressing. For the 20th we sent the original analogue stereo master to Chris Bellman at BGM and he mastered and cut the 20th anniversary edition in an all analogue chain leaving buckets of dynamics of the original recording intact. It absolutely smokes the CD because of the mastering. There is no digital version of this mastering, so you can either prefer the "many times more accurate presentation" of the original mastering OR you can enjoy the far superior mastering delivered on vinyl with all its distortions (I didn't note any in my test pressings) and speed irregularities (also didn't note any).

Given management and the artist signed off on the cuts that would eventually be in the release, and it was also championed on Twitter by Steve Lillywhite after getting his copy (stating "finally you can hear the hi-hat how it sounded in the studio without all that clipping"), I know which one I recommend to folk.

It is embarrassing to get into a discussion with someone who has no idea what they're talking about (not you) and claims that most vinyl is separately mastered, when the exact opposite is true. However there are instances that have been discussed even here like Sgt Peppers where only the vinyl received the non-peak limited master.

I love all my media and enjoy being format-agnostic (for formats widely supported). I'll go where the mastering is best.

Last edited:
It has to be on a case by case basis; there are some albums that are ONLY remastered on vinyl and one may prefer the remastering if it's done right vs. the clipped, brickwalled mess that was the CD if done wrong.

I helped with QC on the 20th anniversary of Dave Matthews Band's Crash - the original album (1996) was recorded by Steve Lillywhite all analogue and also mixed analogue to a stereo analogue master. The CD has copious amounts of clipping, mastered by Ted Jensen so not much of a surprise there, and it had never seen a vinyl pressing. For the 20th we sent the original analogue stereo master to Chris Bellman at BGM and he mastered and cut the 20th anniversary edition in an all analogue chain leaving buckets of dynamics of the original recording intact. It absolutely smokes the CD because of the mastering. There is no digital version of this mastering, so you can either prefer the "many times more accurate presentation" of the original mastering OR you can enjoy the far superior mastering delivered on vinyl with all its distortions (I didn't note any in my test pressings) and speed irregularities (also didn't note any).

Given management and the artist signed off on the cuts that would eventually be in the release, and it was also championed on Twitter by Steve Lillywhite after getting his copy (stating "finally you can hear the hi-hat how it sounded in the studio without all that clipping"), I know which one I recommend to folk.

It is embarrassing to get into a discussion with someone who has no idea what they're talking about (not you) and claims that most vinyl is separately mastered, when the exact opposite is true. However there are instances that have been discussed even here like Sgt Peppers where only the vinyl received the non-peak limited master.

I love all my media and enjoy being format-agnostic (for formats widely supported). I'll go where the mastering is best.
SHF 101. It's the mix and mastering that is most important, not the format.

I have it and it sounds fantastic!

FB0BB150-FA6C-45F7-B440-B96191F7AB10.jpeg

Unfortunately, I have Under The Table And Dreaming too but it didn’t get the same treatment. Though, it does sound better than my CD copy.

I might be tempted by earlier Mellencamp releases, not exactly my music of choice nowadays but there's a certain Americana / nostalgic flavor to his earliest albums that still appeals to me. Feel similar (although for different artistic reasons) to CSN&Y, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Seger, etc. An era when musicians still need to be musicians and write good songs, which JCM definitely did.

I can't believe I actually made a poll for a John Mellencamp album, as I really can't stand his music, but I am genuinely curious to know what people think of this Atmos mix.
Because it looks like the same configuration as the box sets for the Band, I'm hopeful this one will drop below $50 at some point at which time I may actually check it out.
Anyway, here's the poll:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...hn-scarecrow-blu-ray-audio-dolby-atmos.33333/

As I understand it, yes. I have a handful of Atmos discs that sound reasonable in 5.1. I intend to have Atmos capability in my room eventually, so I’m buying discs with those signals, but so far I can’t decode them.
I have a 5.1 Set up using a
Sony STRDN1080.CEK 7.2 CH 4K UHD AV Receiver
with Atmos ability - plays Atmos in 5.1 supebly!
https://amzn.asia/d/ewiUCg4Got mine Amazon Prime, delivery free from UK A$700 - ordered as unavailable, just waited till it became available.
I started with a…
Sony Region Free UBP-X800 / UBP-UX80 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player UHD Multi Region Blu-ray DVD,

Sony UBP-X800M2 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review
As I understand it, yes. I have a handful of Atmos discs that sound reasonable in 5.1. I intend to have Atmos capability in my room eventually, so I’m buying discs with those signals, but so far I can’t decode them.

Back