JVC XV-SA75GD DVD-A player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinylguy4

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I finally got some $ together and got a JVC XV-SA75GD
player for my DVD-A discs. It does have an internal DTS decoder so that was nice. It was able to play CD-R
and everthing else I tried on it(about 20 dvd, DVD-A,
dts, cdr discs). But the machine totally froze up on
two DVD-A discs. One was the Blue Man
Group (the DVD-A side). It played the first 16 second
intro then just froze. Only button that worked
then was the Power button. The other disc was the
DVD-A side of Jonatha Brooke. It played the video then
just froze. So I took the machine back for a refund.
It could have been a faulty unit but I just didn't trust it.
Best Buy had 3 'open box' specials on that particular model.
I think I now know why.

Next I think I'll try a Toshiba 5700, unless a decent universal
player shows up in the near future.

Vinylguy4

A good player in my opinion. I've had this player for the past 6 months and never had a problem with it. Your difficulties with the discs you mention is the first time I've heard of this type of problem with this player. I don't have either of these discs so can't check to see if it's a problem inherent with the discs themselves or not. I'm getting ready to buy the new Pioneer DV-47A. The JVC will find a new home at a friends house.

Mike,

When will the Pioneer DV-47A be available? Do you know the appx cost?

:-jon

Jon,

They showed up in a number of stores today. Mine was actually supposed to ship this morning, but apparently they had two of the digits on my credit card number transposed. They called and left a message for me on voice mail but I got home to late to call them back.

Mike

The cost on the Pioneer seems to range $800-$1000. There's is a dealer in SanDiego that advertising them for pre-order price of $750.00 but they're not an authorized Pioneer dealer.

The problem with bying from an unauthorized dealer is that in the event of a problem with the player, you would have to get replacement from the dealer you got if from as Pioneer would not honor the warranty.

That means the warranty is only as good as the dealer you bought it from. If they refuse to replace or fix it, you're SOL. I'm paying $850.00 for mine but the dealer is a brick and mortar store and is a Pioneer Elite dealer.

Mike

I just scanned the web using Yahoo and MySimon. Neither one returned any results. There is one on eBay but the seller is a (0) feedback.

I agree with the "Brick & Mortar" philosophy. I bought my AVR-5800 over the internet, and although I got a great price, the receiver arrived with a broken flip down door. The internet dealer never responded to my emails about it. I ended up taking the door off! (I'll fix it someday).

Anyway, as an owner of the DV-38A, I can attest that the 38 is an INCREDIBLE player (in regards to the video). I have a front projector (SONY VW-10HT) and this format requires a primo signal, and the 38A delivers. If the 47 uses the same electronics, than this should be one hell of a machine!

:-jon

I picked up the Toshiba a while back figuring it would be a 2nd player a year or so down the road when they get the format mess out of the way. For a cheap dvd audio player it performs wonderfully, and a much better pic than my several year old panasonic. I use a several year old sharp projector and it works great with that machine. DVD-A is superb also. For not much over 200 bucks it shines. Tad

The thing in common for the Jonatha Brooke and the
Blue Man Group discs was that both were two sided.
On both discs the JVC XV-SA75GD played fine on the DVD-A
side but froze when playing the DVD-Video side.
The Toshiba 5700 plays both discs with no troubles.

Vinylguy4

I was in Best Buy today and the JVC XV-SA75GD is
being closed out and the price was $178. There were
3 units left in the store including an opened box special.
I did not see any new models or replacements with capabilites
for DVD-A. New models coming? Giving up on DVD-A?
Just had too many returns on this model to keep stocking
it?

Mike - are you still using the JVC? And is it still performing well? I just picked one up and I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or a Toshiba SD4700. I keep reading bad reviews and you were one of the ones that said that it was a good machine.

In an earlier posting, I commented on my JVC 723 and new Toshiba SD 5700. I continue to be impressed by the Toshiba - I recommend it highly. I saw that the SD 4800 is on sale at Best buy for $188. I think it is the same as the SD 5700 except no HDCD and a less expensive case (plastic vs Metal). I have yet to see a negative review on the SD 5700, except for the issues I raised about the Hi Res discs playing prologic instead of stereo on the analog outs, and the "copyright protection" display coming on when I played the discs on the digital outs. I actually got a telephone call from Toshiba Headquarters yesterday after I E mailed Mark Waldrep about the issue, and he sent the matter to Toshiba saying that he did not watermark his discs. Toshiba took the complaing seriously, and is looking into it after they get discs from Mark. Anyway I have now put the machine through his DVD-A and DVD-V paces and an very happy with the unit. I could not in good conscience recommend the JVC units until they get their disc reading issues resolved.

"Mike - are you still using the JVC? "

No, I gave it away to a friend of mine that I wanted to get hooked on DVD-A, when I bought my Pioneer. In all the time I had it, I only had one disc that gave me a problem and it was a dvd video disc (disc #2, X-Files Season 3). For some reason this disc would not play on the JVC. It plays fine in my Pioneer. As far as I know, my friend hasn't had any problems with it so far.

I realized as such once I saw you talking about your Pioneer.
Over all I like the JVC better, because you don't have to switch anything to play DVD-A like on the Toshiba. But, if reliability is an issue on the JVC then I don't know, plus the Toshiba supposedly has better video playback. I don't think I'll be using this deck for long, because I would like to eventually get a all format unit like your Pioneer when the price comes down. I'm only upgrading to gain DVD-A anyway and the price was right on both units.

I purchased a JVC XV-SA70BK about a year ago online. The unit was recommended. It has in general performed fine on all the DVDs-A I have purchased. Except two: the Buena Vista Social Club, and a Tacet/Schubert. On each of these items, ir returned them THREE times, and each time the disc had a problem. The Buena Vista Social Club disc produced no music at all. The Tacet/Schubert played with a scratching sound that reminded me of an LP that had been played too often. In the end, I just the other day gave the thing in for repair. Have any of you had similar problems with this model?

Back