Keane - Hopes and Fears 20 (SDE BluRay #21 w/David Kosten Atmos Mix - moved up to May 10th, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My initial impression via streaming is that the new Atmos mix is a massive improvement over the old 5.1, for both dynamic range and instrument seperation. All the little electronic bits really stand out now, and are often placed in the rear and/or height speakers. As with the Paul Young album, Kosten uses the phantom center for the vocals rather than the center speaker.

Excited for the Blu-Ray!
YES!!!

My copy arrived this morning, on my first play in Atmos, the mix is very good truly immersive and a big improvement on the 5.1 sacd. It comes with the No. 21 slipcase but I didn't get a booklet (I wonder if it's just me) so NO lyrics. luckily I have my original CD version for that. Audio options are Atmos, DTS-HD Master 5.1 or PCM stereo. The bonus track Love Actually is separate in the menu from the rest of the album. onscreen the background changes from black to green in a kind of smoke effect.
20240513_101116.jpg
20240513_102911.jpg

My copy arrived this morning, on my first play in Atmos, the mix is very good truly immersive and a big improvement on the 5.1 sacd. It comes with the No. 21 slipcase but I didn't get a booklet (I wonder if it's just me) so NO lyrics. luckily I have my original CD version for that. Audio options are Atmos, DTS-HD Master 5.1 or PCM stereo. The bonus track Love Actually is separate in the menu from the rest of the album. onscreen the background changes from black to green in a kind of smoke effect.
View attachment 105450View attachment 105451
Mine arrived this morning. I scaled the to-listen-to mountain to retrieve it and unwrapped it, and mine doesn't have a booklet either

My initial impression via streaming is that the new Atmos mix is a massive improvement over the old 5.1, for both dynamic range and instrument seperation. All the little electronic bits really stand out now, and are often placed in the rear and/or height speakers. As with the Paul Young album, Kosten uses the phantom center for the vocals rather than the center speaker.

Excited for the Blu-Ray!
Phantom Center ? 😬
I’ve concluded my preference is very much the vocal in the centre channel - I think someone here described it as ‘dry vocal’.
Let’s see…..

For those that have heard this already I am curious what did David K. use the center speaker for on this recording.

I do like Steven Wilson's approach of using lead vocal in the center speaker and also spreading vocal's to other speakers when needed but phantom center does also work as we have learned from those older amazing quad releases.

Listening in 5.0. My preference is for the Atmos. It seems to be significantly better defined than the 5.1. My favourite track is We Might As Well Be Strangers. Soft at the beginning, building up to a crescendo - LOUD - then soft at the end.

It's good. I need to listen further and compare it to the SACD.

For those that have heard this already I am curious what did David K. use the center speaker for on this recording.

I do like Steven Wilson's approach of using lead vocal in the center speaker and also spreading vocal's to other speakers when needed but phantom center does also work as we have learned from those older amazing quad releases.
As Jonathan confirmed, the centre speaker is mostly silent.

David K did a very good job with the Atmos mix.

Last edited:
Phantom Center ? 😬
I’ve concluded my preference is very much the vocal in the centre channel - I think someone here described it as ‘dry vocal’.
Let’s see…..
I personally prefer a bit in each. The thing about the center channel is it emphasizes whatever's in it in a kinda weird way when you're sitting to the right or left of center.

Back