Keeps rainin' all the time

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lawrence Schulman

To be as brief as possible, here is a post I did a while back:

Re: JVC XV-SA75GD DVD-A player
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I purchased a JVC XV-SA70BK about a year ago online. The unit was recommended. It has in general performed fine on all the DVDs-A I have purchased. Except two: the Buena Vista Social Club, and a Tacet/Schubert. On each of these items, I returned them THREE times, and each time the disc had a problem. The Buena Vista Social Club disc produced no music at all. The Tacet/Schubert played with a scratching sound that reminded me of an LP that had been played too often. In the end, I just the other day gave the thing in for repair. Have any of you had similar problems with this model?

What has happened since is the following. The local JVC repairer has been unable to repair the machine. It is now being sent to JVC directly for repair. I have been told by professionals that now and then a piece of software and a piece of hardware are incompatible. That means that for some strange programming reason, certain machines cannot play certain discs.

I was wondering if any genius on this forum might be able to explain this to me. In layman terms, when you put a CD into your CD player you want the CD to play - all the time. When you turn your TV on you want it to play - all the time. How is it possible for two DVDs-A not to play in a specific DVD-A machine, when the machine performs fine for all other DVDS-A. I am perplexed. And disappointed.

I had a JVC 723 for 1 1/2 years. Some discs it would not read, and it started pixelating on DVD-V-s and having problems reading DVD-A's. I understand that the design was prone to overheating - anyway JVC wanted $285 to fix it. I bought a Toshiba SD 5700 and also when I found out the JVC problems bought a a Toshiba 4800 to Best Buy for $188. I like both, the SD 5700 is a 2001 model with a fancier cabinet and HDCD capability - I got it for $275. The SD 4800 is the 2002 model, and fixes some of the problems the SD 5700 had.

My advice is to scrap the JVC - that is probably the problem you are having. Although my JVC 723 never had any problems with Buena Vista Social Club or any Tacet discs, I replaced some other dics when the JVC was not reading them, and found the Toshiba unit read all my dics with no problem. Hope this rant helps.

I have a JVC XV-D-723 And it is not working very good at all. I can't play a DVD-A all the way thru- it stops , and the same with DVD-V ! I cleaned the laser and it worked for awhile and started the same problem again! I think the laser is beat it shows the same symptoms as a cd player gets when the laser is going bad, skipping freezing stopping not able to read the toc etc, time to get a better one!

Stay away from JVC!!!
Rob :rolleyes:

FYI - The JVC 723 was really a rush job, based on my experience. No DTS right out of the box (then the discovery of no CDR/CDRW playback), couldn't repair locally, ship to regional center. When I got it back, I re-sold it immediately!

I've had plenty of JVC gear (including 2 DAT decks now) but this one really had it's share of problems...

Timbre4

PS - 6thave.com has the Panasonic RA60 DVD-A player for $117 (silver) and it's so superior to that JVC. Then sell the JVC for whatever...

Back