HiRez Poll King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
The new "Starless" set has given me a renewed appreciation for this particular album and its 5.1 surround mix.

The first two tracks ("The Great Deceiver" and "Lament") sound especially great in surround while "The Night Watch" has never sounded more beautiful.
Obviously the middle of the record ("Trio" and "The Mincer") is a little disappointing given the fact that they are upmixes of live improvs, but then, we get to what is (IMO) the ULTIMATE improv on the album (and maybe the best KC improv ever!), which is the title track "Starless & Bible Black".
Oh man! This improv just gives me shivers every time without fail at certain moments when listening to it in surround, a track which everyone must experience this way.
And finally, "Fracture" sounds even more vicious and brooding with this new surround mix, and the listener is able to more clearly hear the details of Fripp's sensational playing.
I gave it a '10' back in the day, and I stand by my vote. Highly recommended! :)

A 10.

Of the classic Wetton era, this is the everything disc.

Larks was new and interesting. Red was focused and aggressive. Starless and Bible Black surpasses both: amazing, new, aggressive, focused, expansive, interesting and so on.

The inclusion of "Guts on My Side" is worth the price of admission. It's a shame there isn't a better version out there, it is one of my favorite Crim songs of all time. The surround mix just pushes the original album into the stratosphere.

I was listening to the stereo mix in my car one day last year and thought "that settles it, I'm dropping the money on Starless." This was a wise investment, as Starless did not disappoint.

I prolly mentioned it before , but THIS is the LP that got me into KC back in 82....my roommate and friend (still) Tony, played it for me... (and that is why I TOTALLY freaked out when they played "Fracture" on these past two tours!!!! To hell with LTIA I and II-which are also awesome, but FRACTURE is the one that made my life complete!!!!!)...

Was even more amazed , years later, that some songs were recorded LIVE!!!

Funny, but back then , I wasn't into "Discipline", only 3oaPP did the trick....

The "Starless" boxset is your friend!!!!

I will whimsically give this a 9, just because it is my least favourite KC album of my favourite era. I mean, since LTiA and Red are 10s for me, this would be a 9.5 floor-rounded to 9...

The Nightwatch still gives me goosebumps, this is again, an incredible album and superb 5.1 mix.
For some reason the Trio/Mincer/SnBB section is not very appealing to me, both sonically and musically, I would not say that is filler but maybe too indulgent for my taste.
But what I am saying is that that part is just "good" instead of extraordinary.

Back