Laura Nyro - Eli And The Thirteenth Confession - Audio Fidelity 4.0 SACD (June 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So has the release date changed for this? I got a back ordered note from importcds

So has the release date changed for this? I got a back ordered note from importcds

No, Audio Fidelity has shipped the Nyro Multichannel SACD discs to stores last week.
They should be arriving this week for sale from Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds, among others.

You know GOS you can link your checking account to QQ and have Jon order the discs he thinks you should have.........saves time.

I bet (Mamita) Linda is the one who can't wait for this one!!!!!

I , for one , am also looking forward to this!!! (I have the reel conversion but have HIGH hopes for this!)

Laura Nyro's Eli & the Thirteenth Confession Multichannel SACD is In Stock at Acoustic Sounds.

Eli - In Stock.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...hirteenth_Confession-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

Just received notification from Deep Discount today that Laura Nyro's Eli and the Thirteenth Confession has been dispatched. CANNOT WAIT!

What a delight this album is. Couldn't wait to get it, just finished the first listen to the quad version and it's absolutely superb. The sound quality is amazing. Sounds like a classic early quad mix that is very discreet. Love it. I'm going to rediscover this album over and over again in the next days and weeks (and so will my neighbours...)

It arrived today and I'm spinning it. I love hearing this great, unreleased Quad mix.

Being a mega-Nyro fan, I have a few pieces of trivia about this record:

1- This album was to be Nyro's second for Verve/Forecast under the title "Soul Picnic." In '68, when it was becoming apparent that Verve wouldn't survive after the alleged improprieties at MGM Records, of which Verve/Forecast was a subsidiary. David Geffen, Laura's Manager, took Nyro and the album to Columbia.

2- I'm guessing why this never came out in the Quad days is that Nyro had a child in '71 and wanted to raise her child and "retire". Clive Davis, President of Columbia had an attitude that he just wanted to promote artists who would be making records going forward. Nyro's "retirement" lasted 5 years. She reappeared in '76 with Smile, an album you must hear, albeit in 2ch.

3- As to kap'n's question about the scented jackets: To my knowledge 360 sound labeled pressings all were perfumed. The later pressings with the red/yellow labels from '70 onward, likely would not have the scent, although it was reinstated in '70'. Few later pressings do, though not most. Eventually, the scent was discontinued permanently. That was the case by '79 when I bought a new copy. This SACD booklet doesn't seem scented to me. A tiny bitch. Disclaimer: I have a sinus infection, so my sniffer is on the Fritz. When Nyro heard that albums were shipped UNscented, she was miffed. She and Geffen had Davis' ear, so the scent was returned.

4- This album is highly produced, and highly orchestrated, thanks to Charlie Callello. That may be the bitch some have with the music. Conjecture on my part.

I'll expound on my thoughts and observations on this in detail in the poll thread. Here are a few:

Steven Marsh did a great job transferring the Quad mix. My recollection of is that it was somewhat hissy, as pointed out earlier in this thread. I haven't heard a large amount of hiss on this transfer. With the variety of instruments/musicians, it reveals many things that weren't apparent in the 2ch mix. Often, it's a wall of sound, with instruments you didn't notice before. A wonderful Quad mix with no flashy spins, or similar devices.

The job that Steve Hoffman did on the 2ch mix is absolutely stunning. Even with my hearing a bit diminished, I hear lots of things I've never heard before. Out of a collection of 20,000, this was/is one of my most played albums. I keep noticing guitar licks, especially in the front channels that I've not noticed before. Vibes, woodwinds and so many other things you never heard before. Much of the strident high end is gone. Still, there is some. Likely she was saturating the tape with the power of her voice.

You'll be back I swear...

It arrived today and I'm spinning it. I love hearing this great, unreleased Quad mix.

Steven Marsh did a great job transferring the Quad mix. My recollection of is that it was somewhat hissy, as pointed out earlier in this thread. I haven't heard a large amount of hiss on this transfer. With the variety of instruments/musicians, it reveals many things that weren't apparent in the 2ch mix. Often, it's a wall of sound, with instruments you didn't notice before. A wonderful Quad mix with no flashy spins, or similar devices.

The job that Steve Hoffman did on the 2ch mix is absolutely stunning. Even with my hearing a bit diminished, I hear lots of things I've never heard before. Out of a collection of 20,000, this was/is one of my most played albums. I keep noticing guitar licks, especially in the front channels that I've not noticed before. Vibes, woodwinds and so many other things you never heard before. Much of the strident high end is gone. Still, there is some. Likely she was saturating the tape with the power of her voice.

Yes, a fine job by Steve Hoffman and Stephen Marsh (Stereo SACD & CD tracks) and Stephen Marsh (Surround Sound SACD tracks).
Thumbs up!

I don't know what this means. There were 2 quad mixes, neither which was released, unlike the BS&T, so which would be considered "authorized"?

It means the version of the album mixed in Quad that clocks in at over 46 minutes, not the shorter version with alternate takes.

Back