Layla Box Set/5 discs/2 lp's/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there some way we (US Members) could buy these things (in US Dollars) and send them over to UK members in some sort of non-taxed, non-duty, gift mode?

CD Japan has a listing for the 40th Anniversary Edition Of Layla containing 4 SHM CDs, 1 5.1 DTS/Dolby DVD and 2 LPs as a set for $230.00.
The 5.1 mix is supposed to be by Elliot Scheiner.
I won't buy it but for those who do, I hope the mix doesn't suck as bad as the one on the MC SACD.
The sound of the SHM-SACD stereo is rather nice but, again, I won't buy it really since I have the original (and you can still get it for like $15.00 or so) and the stereo layer isn't too bad.
Just puttin' it out there in case anyone is interested.

-B

It's supposedly the Elliot Scheiner mix, so it's got to be better. The US version is around $85 on Amazon

Yeah, but where is the UK version?
If I blow $85 on Amazon US, it tips me over the point where I get hit for Import Duty, then VAT (another 20%) plus a "handling charge" for the priviledge of getting my pocket picked by HMRC.
It will close to DOUBLE the price.
Can someone please order me one - will happily transfer funds via whatever method.

CD Japan has a listing for the 40th Anniversary Edition Of Layla containing 4 SHM CDs, 1 5.1 DTS/Dolby DVD and 2 LPs as a set for $230.00.
The 5.1 mix is supposed to be by Elliot Scheiner.
I won't buy it but for those who do, I hope the mix doesn't suck as bad as the one on the MC SACD.
The sound of the SHM-SACD stereo is rather nice but, again, I won't buy it really since I have the original (and you can still get it for like $15.00 or so) and the stereo layer isn't too bad.
Just puttin' it out there in case anyone is interested.

-B

Didn't the record company bin the Scheiner mix originally becasue it did not sound modern enough !!!

Go figure !

And they wonder why the SACD was generally panned for sounding too modern ?

What is annoying is that the DVD is only available in this set. Wonder why they did not include the Johnny Cash show material on this disc as well ?

oh and Neil its on Amazon .co.uk now but the price is a bit steep

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Layla-Other...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1297093307&sr=1-2

Last edited:
Neil, here is the Amazon UK version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Layla-Other...H8PO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297104559&sr=1-3

I ordered mine yesterday for an eye-watering £91.49 but it now seems to have gone up to to £107.99. Over $150 to get a surround mix plus a lot of superfluous vinyl and cardboard!

these guys are idiots thinking like old marketers, put it out at 10 bucks or folks will send it up online to copy and they will lose many sales of the surround disc for a couple thousand box sets sold. Most are not buying this for a surround mix. Make it cheap and people will buy it, make it ridiculous and the back door opens wide. Get a clue guys.

Last edited:

these guys are idiots thinking like old marketers, put it out at 10 bucks or folks will send it up online to copy and they will lose many sales of the surround disc for a couple thousand box sets sold. Most are not buying this for a suround mix. Make it cheap and people will buy it, make it ridiculous and the back door opens wide. Get a clue guys.

What makes you think its not going online anyway?

I'm all for diversity of packaging on anything out there, though.

Marketing Morons. How can anyone defend these record companies these days? They are in a state of total decline, yet they will not bend.

A 40 year old album that the "market" has purchased countless times, including a previous special box set, gets hit up again for another high priced box. Half the people who bought this album when it first came out are dead.

clear.gif
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JonUrban
Half the people who bought this album when it first came out are dead.

LOL. That cracks me up. Thanks for brightening my day. Good one Jon.

Ok, OK, it's funny.

It's also cruel.

\:^)

Doug

You guys that ordered this will have to report on the ES mix. I'm anxious to hear the reviews.

I know I'm just preaching to the choir but why can't they just release a single disc with the 5.1 mix on it? (Throw in a CD if they must). I mean wouldn't that generate more sales? I'm a fan of this music and already own four different versions of this title on one format or another. I find it extremely difficult to justify the cost when all I want is the 5.1 mix (on DTS at that).

With Blu-ray (hopefully) becoming the new standard for 5.1 releases, it just seems like it would be a good fit for a classic title like this one.

I know I'm just preaching to the choir but why can't they just release a single disc with the 5.1 mix on it? (Throw in a CD if they must). I mean wouldn't that generate more sales?
(y)

I don't understand why they think someone who wants two CDs and the double vinyl version of the album - both in stereo - would care about a surround version? I bet most people that order this box will play that dvd once, and probably don't even own a surround system in the first place, and it will never leave the box again. :(

Well, I don't care - I want this mix, and I will pay what I have to.
They would doubtless sell many more as CD/DVD-A packs, but the labels do not seem to care about actual sales despite the rhetoric.....
Fortunately I am also into all the various bonus bits too.......

I have friends that have more cash to play with than I ever will who have 5.1 systems (albeit more compact and 'designer' like than mine) who *might* notice such a thing. But because 5.1 is so associated with DVD's and movies, only those who really, REALLY love the album would spring for such a package, which, in 2011, can't be, for the price, a lot of consumers. As noted, this album has been reissued and repackaged many times, in so many ways, that even if there is a superior 5.1 mix, only a handful of listeners--that is, us--will really care.

ED :)

Well, I don't care - I want this mix, and I will pay what I have to.
They would doubtless sell many more as CD/DVD-A packs, but the labels do not seem to care about actual sales despite the rhetoric.....
Fortunately I am also into all the various bonus bits too.......

It maybe one of my top 5 albums but its just too steep for me especially given that more that 50% of the box will never be listened to. No way to play the LPS, crazy packing a DVD and LP in the same set.
My jobs not that secure that i can spin for it.

I hope I'm able to afford this, since I dig the album and I dig Elliot Scheiner's work.

But man, I am getting tired of this trend of 5.1 mixes only being available in super limited and/or super expensive packages:

Muse "The Resistance" - Over priced (can't recall how much), only available through their website, extremely limited production, DTS only
David Gilmour "On an Island" - Only available in $40+ live box, DTS only
David Bowie "Station to Station" - Only available in $120+ boxed set, which includes kitchen sink and crappy DTS mix
Chicago "Chicago Transit Authority" - High price, exclusive availability from retailer with expensive shipping, went OOP almost immediately, DTS

Even the latest Harry Potter soundtrack was released in surround, but it was DD 5.1, a crappy mix, and only available in a $55 boxed set. Oh yeah, people say the mix sucks on that, too. Or, you can step out of the realm of 5.1 into the realm of obscenity with the Burton/Elfman $500 14 disc box.

Whether you think these releases are worth the money or not or if you do think they were worth it, but didn't have the money to spare for the nanaosecond they were available, or whatever, this trend is really frustrating. Why not just make these available for a fair price?

Or since we all know Eric and his family has more money than they can count, perhaps it is fine to tell the record company they blew it, we all want it, but we are gonna pass our recordable q8s around and get the title to everyone who wants it, rather than the few who can afford the silly way they market. Noid it, and someone record it on a Q8 and send it to them. With a nice label and all.

Back