Layla Box Set/5 discs/2 lp's/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or since we all know Eric and his family has more money than they can count, perhaps it is fine to tell the record company they blew it, we all want it, but we are gonna pass our recordable q8s around and get the title to everyone who wants it, rather than the few who can afford the silly way they market. Noid it, and someone record it on a Q8 and send it to them. With a nice label and all.

recordable q8's? I've got a feeling it might eventually get passed around but not in a tape or disc format..

But it might be fun to send Eric a Q8 of it with a nice label.

Or since we all know Eric and his family has more money than they can count, perhaps it is fine to tell the record company they blew it, we all want it, but we are gonna pass our recordable q8s around and get the title to everyone who wants it, rather than the few who can afford the silly way they market. Noid it, and someone record it on a Q8 and send it to them. With a nice label and all.

+1 The rich may be winning the political war, but they're loosing the cultural battle. If they keep this up it won't be long before piracy becomes an accepted, ingrained part of our culture (if it isn't already).

Chris, is sarcasm a part of aussie culture???? But screw sending it to eric, I know a little bit about rock gods, and most would not see it, or toss it in the cute pile to give away. it needs to go to the idiots who run the record companies. Not that they would get the point, look at the mess they made!

recordable q8's? I've got a feeling it might eventually get passed around but not in a tape or disc format..

But it might be fun to send Eric a Q8 of it with a nice label.

just got this email from amazon....I wonder if the people organising this release know the ones who tried to organise the Stephen Stills dvda

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on January 27 2011 (Order# xxxxxx). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Derek & the Dominos "Layla and Other Love Songs [Super Deluxe 4CD, 2LP, DVD]"
Estimated arrival date: May 20 2011 - June 10 2011

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

I hope I'm able to afford this, since I dig the album and I dig Elliot Scheiner's work.

But man, I am getting tired of this trend of 5.1 mixes only being available in super limited and/or super expensive packages:

Muse "The Resistance" - Over priced (can't recall how much), only available through their website, extremely limited production, DTS only
David Gilmour "On an Island" - Only available in $40+ live box, DTS only
David Bowie "Station to Station" - Only available in $120+ boxed set, which includes kitchen sink and crappy DTS mix
Chicago "Chicago Transit Authority" - High price, exclusive availability from retailer with expensive shipping, went OOP almost immediately, DTS

Even the latest Harry Potter soundtrack was released in surround, but it was DD 5.1, a crappy mix, and only available in a $55 boxed set. Oh yeah, people say the mix sucks on that, too. Or, you can step out of the realm of 5.1 into the realm of obscenity with the Burton/Elfman $500 14 disc box.

Whether you think these releases are worth the money or not or if you do think they were worth it, but didn't have the money to spare for the nanaosecond they were available, or whatever, this trend is really frustrating. Why not just make these available for a fair price?

I agree with pretty much every word here.
I still cannot find a legit copy of the Muse one either - there are box sets on sale at all sorts of prices, but no guarantee the blasted 5.1 is even in them.
But I digress.

You really would have thought these titles would be available outside Box Sets at silly money.
The Bowie one I almost understand - it's that godawful they would not have sold too many that didn't get returned on the surround mix.
(Although on this set, I also wanted the Nassau live show, and the 24/96 version of the original stereo too).
I can add a couple more to your list too:
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's
Yazoo - You and Me Both
(Cannot remember the specifics, but both these DTS 5.1 mixes were only ever available in expensive box sets)

just got this email from amazon....I wonder if the people organising this release know the ones who tried to organise the Stephen Stills dvda

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on January 27 2011 (Order# xxxxxx). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Derek & the Dominos "Layla and Other Love Songs [Super Deluxe 4CD, 2LP, DVD]"
Estimated arrival date: May 20 2011 - June 10 2011

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

Mine has just been despatched from Amazon UK. Expected to be delivered Tuesday...

But man, I am getting tired of this trend of 5.1 mixes only being available in super limited and/or super expensive packages:

Muse "The Resistance" - Over priced (can't recall how much), only available through their website, extremely limited production, DTS only
David Gilmour "On an Island" - Only available in $40+ live box, DTS only
David Bowie "Station to Station" - Only available in $120+ boxed set, which includes kitchen sink and crappy DTS mix
Chicago "Chicago Transit Authority" - High price, exclusive availability from retailer with expensive shipping, went OOP almost immediately, DTS

Whether you think these releases are worth the money or not or if you do think they were worth it, but didn't have the money to spare for the nanaosecond they were available, or whatever, this trend is really frustrating. Why not just make these available for a fair price?

ditto. out here, after you factor in the currency exchange, these packages cost a king's ransom.

For this issue, $100 = MYR300... which is a lot of money in any currency. If you consider that a normal lunch here is MYR10 to MYR15, it's out of reach

Mine just arrived!!!
Man, this was worth the wait & the money - smokes the SACD, mix wise.
Hearing things I never heard in the other mix, and certainly not in stereo. 101_0224.jpg

The 5.1 mixes are truly superb. Every bit as good as Neil says above. The SACD is redundant.

Just received my order from Amazon Canada. It doesn't have any of the packaging problems that some reviewers on Amazon UK were complaining about.

Do you think they will issue the DVD-A alone eventually? $100 is a bit pricey just to get the 5.1 mix.

Rick

Has anybody got a contact email address for the right person at Universal regarding 5.1 releases such as this?

Do you think they will issue the DVD-A alone eventually? $100 is a bit pricey just to get the 5.1 mix.

Rick

Does the set really include a DVD-A or is it just a normal DVD-V?

The record companies want titles that will sell long term...a nice box set with the works is seen as that because it can always be seen as a nice gift for somebody... a 5.1 dvda mix probably isn't seen like that ,as it's catering for a small niche market , that although it will sell well to start with, but in the long term ...after most of the interested people have bought it early on... it will be seen as a very slow mover....not to mention what a noidy peer to peer network can do to destroy dvda sales...but it can't destroy a box set complete with vinyl lp's in the same way.

$100 is a bit steep even for a fanatic EC fan; but the thought of playing Duane & EC in my Acura, with DVD/A/5.1; it's intriguing.
Just wish I could buy the DVD/A, separately
The SACD/hybrid, is good enough, & I have no use for the lp's.
Granted, there's extra live, & studio tracks, but the majority have been re-mastered several prior times. Already own Live at the Fillmore.:rolleyes:
BTW: the set is available April 26th.

I think there's a few other threads on this already (as well as, at last count, 67 different threads on the Rush title ;).) You're better off checking those out and seeing what other folks had to say on the topic.

Also, howdy, neighbor. :)

Back