Led Zeppelin News

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you imagine if someone could get hold of the multis and do a 5.1 mix on some of these?

I'm hoping that all these Atmos releases by The Beatles, and now Who's Next, will compel Led Zep to do some Atmos remixes of their catalogue lest they get left behind. I suspect that remixing a song like Whole Lotta Love would require a mammoth effort to get all the special effects to sound like the original stereo recording.
It should think it wouldn’t take THAT much. I’ve made homebrew surround mixes of it. While there’s a lot of panning going on in the stereo mix, there aren’t that many elements to juggle.

Now whether - precisely because of that - it could possibly meet people’s imagination of what it could or should be is a different question.

Enjoy this new interview:
Robert Plant joined Rick Rubin on the Broken Record podcast. In the latest episode RP discusses "Raise The Roof", writing "Kashmir" with Jimmy Page after a trip to the Sahara in the early '70s, meeting John Bonham as a teenager and more.

Last edited:
One of the better interviews. Rubber Plant opens up about zep, instead if talking in riddles and dropping obscure old blues artists. I have tixs to see him upper NY.

I can't listen to it right now but isn't the closing credits audio track on the Blu-ray of TSRTS movie a 5.1 surround version of Stairway To Heaven? I don't remember.
Just got the Blu-ray of The Song Remains The Same. Converted it to 5.1 flac and gave a quick listen to final credits Stairway to Heaven in the car before bedtime. I was excited when the recorders showed up in the rear channels but alas the rest of the mix is disappointing. Try stereo with reverb in the rears. Plant is in the driver’s front nothing much if anything from center or sub. Better than nothing I guess but oh, what might have been.

Could Steven Wilson Atmos Surround mixes of Led Zeppelin records be in the wings? Surprised Jimmy Page hasn't mined that vein yet, after all the work he did on the remasters years ago.
The Zep studio masters might be gone. Remastering only requires an early stereo downmix from the console, there's probably several of those in existence for each album so much easier to get hands on. I'd expect by now we'd have multiple or all Zep studio albums in surround if that was ever going to be a thing.

The Zep studio masters might be gone. Remastering only requires an early stereo downmix from the console, there's probably several of those in existence for each album so much easier to get hands on. I'd expect by now we'd have multiple or all Zep studio albums in surround if that was ever going to be a thing.
In theory this shouldn’t be a problem with the Peter Jackson stem splitter AI tech that was built for the Get Back doc and used on the Atmos for Revolver and Songs From Big Pink… it comes down to if PJ wants to let it be used for Zep stuff though (and of course if people who have a say want it to be done)

The Zep studio masters might be gone.
I'd be surprised if this were the case, especially since there are stems from a few tracks on the second album (Whole Lotta Love, Ramble On, What Is And What Should Never Be, etc) 'out there' online.

Page has brought up the idea of remixing the catalog in surround during a number of interviews over the years, but I guess he just hasn't gotten around to it yet. With the newfound industry push for Atmos, I think it has a better chance of happening today than in 2018 (the last time it was mentioned, to my knowledge).
https://ledzepnews.com/2018/02/18/jimmy-page-planning-led-zeppelins-fiftieth-anniversary-18-months/
Page also raised the idea of releasing Led Zeppelin material in 5.1 surround sound. “I started thinking about doing surround-sound mixes around the Led Zeppelin ‘DVD’,” Page said, “but it is about thinking ahead, so things really do link up. There’s more to come, for sure.”

I wouldn't necessarily expect that. It's up to what Jimmy Page wants.

For sure he has oversight of the stereo master tapes. He may well have all the multis too.

In theory this shouldn’t be a problem with the Peter Jackson stem splitter AI tech that was built for the Get Back doc and used on the Atmos for Revolver and Songs From Big Pink… it comes down to if PJ wants to let it be used for Zep stuff though (and of course if people who have a say want it to be done)
It's worth noting that for those two projects, the de-mixing tech was being applied to individual channels of a four-track multitrack. It may not work as well with a finalized two-track stereo master.

Could Steven Wilson Atmos Surround mixes of Led Zeppelin records be in the wings? Surprised Jimmy Page hasn't mined that vein yet, after all the work he did on the remasters years ago.
Steven talked about wanting to do that many years ago. It was right around the time Page did the remasters and SW said something along the lines of it being a missed opportunity to not have surround versions available.

Led Zeppelin may be the only artists I’d be willing to spend around $300 for a deluxe box set. Except for the, cut-out bin, CODA. 😂
When they did the deluxe edition box sets a few years ago for all the studio albums, Coda had, by far in my opinion, the best set of extra tracks and outtakes. The outtakes and extras were probably overall better than the original album.

Led Zeppelin may be the only artists I’d be willing to spend around $300 for a deluxe box set. Except for the, cut-out bin, CODA. 😂
I'd spend $100 per album ($150 for PG since it's a double") for a stand-alone Blu-ray (assuming there were a MC mix).
I wouldn't spend $300 to buy a bunch of stuff I don't want, just to get the BR for any of them. If they were priced under $200, then I might be willing to spring for the extra crap.

Back