Led Zeppelin News

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1644287442401.png

My first reaction before viewing was, how the hell is he going to pull this off? It was a struggle to hit those notes even when he was 27. But he sings this in a lower register and actually it sounds pretty good! Surprising that he would do this one given that he is supposedly no longer interested in "Hammer of the Gods" Zeppelin. (Also, too much bass and not enough guitar in the mix, I know it is not an official release though so that is just a minor quibble.)

He's been sprinkling LZ songs into his sets for decades.
He has, and I am probably in the minority when I say that I prefer it these days when he adds a world music twist rather than attempt a straight-up Zep-style clone of the original. For example, there is a fantastic version of Gallows Pole on his Strange Sensation Soundstage set. And I love what he did with JP on the Unledded - No Quarter versions of many of the songs.

He's been sprinkling LZ songs into his sets for decades.
Yes, he’s been criticizing and profiting off his (and others’ pasts) while his past has been supporting his muse for many years.

Last edited:
The Mighty Rearranger rearranges himself often. He is no longer a sailor, he’s a captain.

He has, and I am probably in the minority when I say that I prefer it these days when he adds a world music twist rather than attempt a straight-up Zep-style clone of the original. For example, there is a fantastic version of Gallows Pole on his Strange Sensation Soundstage set. And I love what he did with JP on the Unledded - No Quarter versions of many of the songs.
I totally agree. And, for that matter.....he can pretty much do what he wants, not what we think he should do. Regarding that video of the Zep tune, I think it's badass. Nice job Robert...rock on.

An explanation isn't really needed. It's all about a certain sound humans hear that strikes them.

I still remember the first time I heard them/their first record. My friend Duane and I were at his house listening to records and the phone rang. It was our mutual friend, Arnie. He was all excited and told us we HAD to come over and listen to this new record he had just bought. We were all 16.

So, we went over there and he was playing the record on his stereo with self-made speakers (my "system' was also like that). As soon as "Good Times Bad Times" started, that was it!

Doug
Mine had to be LZ II with Whole Lotta Love.

It only got better after the first album. And, as far as "Immigrant Song" is concerned, I always have this story to tell about when I first heard it.

I was at the local "Tower" which was a place in town on the second floor above some businesses and where all the bands played when they came to town. The band was on a break and they played the local radio station over speakers during the break times. This was at the concession area. I was out in the main area and I heard this song on the speakers and it was fairly noisy in there in spite of it being band break time.

I thought it was Grace Slick singing a new JA song.

:D

Doug

Led Zep's first album was a very different sound at the time it was released. Most liked it but didn't really know what to make of it.
It didn't get a lot of radio airplay but was popular on the FM underground stations.
But when LZ II came out, WHOA, hold the phone. This IS different and great, got tons of mainstream airplay, and the rest is history.

Back