Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link. I'm bound to be a bit poorer soon!

You'll survive, Mike. After all you ARE a SURVIVOR!

I wonder if Van ever heard Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 remix of Moondance? Or if he embraces the reality that when in the hands of a master, ALL his classics would indeed benefit from the surround treatment.

Having given it some thought, I’ve decided on the following marking system I'll use when it comes to voting in QQ polls. The system is essentially a breakdown of what I think Sonics, Mix, Content and Packaging represent and for each sub-marker, of which there are ten in total, I’ll score marks out of ten and then convert the final score out of a hundred to marks out of ten in keeping with QQ scoring, rounding up or down where necessary.

Sonics
  • dynamic range (is it LOUD from the off or can one give it some volume)
  • equalisation (how balanced is the music across the frequency range - specifically looking out for too much bass or treble or lack of)
Mix
  • degree of discreteness (is it ambient as per most classical releases or full-on like DSOTM)
  • cohesion of mix (how well the channels knit together - does it sound like there are two systems playing music in the room or one)
  • instrumentation (evaluating instrument placement and levels)
Content
  • quality of music (to what extent does the music get you air-jamming, tapping your toes, singing along, crying on the inside etc)
  • performance (perhaps more relevant to live and classical releases where performances of the same piece of music can vary considerably)
Packaging
  • function (how well the packaging allows access to its contents and stores it securely)
  • form (how nice is the packaging to feel and behold)
  • value (to what extent does this release represent good value for money compared to the original retail prices - evaluating everything you get for your money against the cost)
I don't think my scoring system will require studios listening and note-taking - I'm hoping I can just play the music and make mental notes along the way to type up afterwards. We'll see. Maybe I'll have to have a pen and paper at hand. But before I do anything, I'll have to decide which mch album will be my first foray into the QQ polls... :eek:

So Derek, if I'm reading this correctly, are you giving each sub-marker equal weight? I do like the format, I've been very hesitant to start voting in earnest, as I've been contemplating a format like yours.

Having given it some thought, I’ve decided on the following marking system I'll use when it comes to voting in QQ polls. The system is essentially a breakdown of what I think Sonics, Mix, Content and Packaging represent and for each sub-marker, of which there are ten in total, I’ll score marks out of ten and then convert the final score out of a hundred to marks out of ten in keeping with QQ scoring, rounding up or down where necessary.

Sonics
  • dynamic range (is it LOUD from the off or can one give it some volume)
  • equalisation (how balanced is the music across the frequency range - specifically looking out for too much bass or treble or lack of)
Mix
  • degree of discreteness (is it ambient as per most classical releases or full-on like DSOTM)
  • cohesion of mix (how well the channels knit together - does it sound like there are two systems playing music in the room or one)
  • instrumentation (evaluating instrument placement and levels)
Content
  • quality of music (to what extent does the music get you air-jamming, tapping your toes, singing along, crying on the inside etc)
  • performance (perhaps more relevant to live and classical releases where performances of the same piece of music can vary considerably)
Packaging
  • function (how well the packaging allows access to its contents and stores it securely)
  • form (how nice is the packaging to feel and behold)
  • value (to what extent does this release represent good value for money compared to the original retail prices - evaluating everything you get for your money against the cost)
I don't think my scoring system will require studios listening and note-taking - I'm hoping I can just play the music and make mental notes along the way to type up afterwards. We'll see. Maybe I'll have to have a pen and paper at hand. But before I do anything, I'll have to decide which mch album will be my first foray into the QQ polls... :eek:

Interesting criteria, Derek.

All I know is that a 9 or 10 vote which are indeed HIGH marks in my book usually elicit an actual applause from me [causing me to stand up and cheer from my sweet spot] to qualify the album as a 10......a 9 would be close [yes, toe tapping counts], an 8 would be yes, it sounds great but no toe tapping nor applause and of course 7 and below is a so so vote of yeah, it's OK but if I didn't have it in my collection .... NO BIG DEAL.

Which is why I applaud the ability to Change Votes. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a particular album and my mind wanders and yet when I am in the mood, the lights come on and I go "yeah .... a definite 8, 9 or TEN!

But keep in mind, as I always do.....we're NOT professional reviewers, and in my case NOT a musician, so maybe I AM missing out on what others, more knowledgeable than myself do pick up, so there you have it.

giphy.gif

A 9 or 10 Vote?

Last edited:
I don't think my scoring system is quite there yet. My goal is to find the ten most appropriate markers that will allow me to score marks out of a hundred and therefore, marks out of ten in the polls, rounding up or down where necessary. If I can find the perfect formula for this, each marker will carry the same weight as every other and will somehow find the right offsets when it comes to box sets or stand-alone releases, bonus material or no bonus material etc. I may never find this formula but I'm going to keep thinking about. What I can say for sure is I think 10s will be an extremely rare occurrence. Not impossible but probably never going to happen. Anyway, I'll keep thinking and see what I come up with.

Ralph, those boots are the best toe-tapping boots I've ever seen. Truly mesmerising!

In honor of the recent shows I was fortunate to see, Van Morrison's Moondance!

Mike, it wasn't until you mentioned that you've now got 100+ subscribers that I realised I wasn't one of them - fixed that ;)

p.s. dropping puns is hardly déclassé - on the contrary, a well-chosen pun as yours was is positively puntastic...or should I say, Vantastic!

Mike, it wasn't until you mentioned that you've now got 100+ subscribers that I realised I wasn't one of them - fixed that ;)

p.s. dropping puns is hardly déclassé - on the contrary, a well-chosen pun as yours was is positively puntastic...or should I say, Vantastic!
It's so great to have you aboard and to make your further acquaintance! I hope we richly enjoy our beloved hobby together. (y):coffee:

I'm posting this here, for the hopeful exposure, but also because it relates to surround music.
This is the first video about my upcoming project - a concept album that will be mixed in stereo and surround.
I introduce the project and give some insights in to the drum production process.
I hope to build a subscriber base as I go along with the project, so that many of you will know about the new album by the time it's done.
Note this is a different channel than Life in Surround, so please subscribe if you want to join the journey of producing the next album!
Anyway, enjoy this video and let me know what you think.

I'm posting this here, for the hopeful exposure, but also because it relates to surround music.
This is the first video about my upcoming project - a concept album that will be mixed in stereo and surround.
I introduce the project and give some insights in to the drum production process.
I hope to build a subscriber base as I go along with the project, so that many of you will know about the new album by the time it's done.
Note this is a different channel than Life in Surround, so please subscribe if you want to join the journey of producing the next album!
Anyway, enjoy this video and let me know what you think.

Mike, drum take #3 was by far THE BEST. HOT STUFF! Love that electronic drum sound. Glad you're making progress!

Top 10 Most Popular Surround Albums

Mike, so GLAD you finally gave the LOVE album it's number 1 Due. And rightfully so. Regarding the DVD~A and SACD of Brothers In Arms, the original mixer PROBABLY preferred the former because it was a 16 bit 44.1 DDD original Recording and transferring it to DVD~A kept it in the PCM domain ALL the way versus transferring it DSD to SACD [my theory, anyway]. I do have a very soft spot for In The Court of the Crimson King as I saw it performed live back in the day and the DVD~A as remixed by Steve Wilson certainly exceeds the crappy vinyl pressings available upon its initial release. Wonder what alchemy SW will perform with the upcoming remix of ITCOTCK!

Gaucho is available in the DVD~A format. Sounds fantastic.

As for Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots .... right on.......great album.

And yes, I wish your next installment of Life in Surround WOULD pay homage to Dutton Vocalion's stellar QUAD SACDs, MOST especially their attractively priced two~fers. They should have MORE exposure than they do....Audio Fidelity would be nice but they're out of business and their QUAD/5.1 SACDs are mostly OOP save for a VERY few. But worthwhile anyway, I suppose. They did release some stellar titles.

Last edited:
If reviews of the new ItCotKC are stellar I'll be very tempted...

Especially IF it actually places you IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING!

But I really don't want to spring for an elaborate boxset just to get the remix.

BTW, Mike, do you have the Fleetwood Mac "Tango In The Night boxset?" It has NO 5.1 remix but the 96/24 Stereo DVD transfer is stunning and the three RBCDs contain absolutely NO FILLER. Best of all, I paid under $40 for it recently at Deep Discount [that price has now expired]. If you can find it for a good price ... BUY IT!

Back