List your subwoofer and its limitations /strengths

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which Stereo integrity 18 woofer are you using ? It it HT18 MkII ? I have for a while wanted to build my own sub, but alas my woodworking skills are lacking. Need to find someone to help with the box. I have looked at the Mach Audio UXL 18 and some of the Dayton drivers. Any experience with these ?
Check out GSG audio or DIYSoundgroup. They have flat packs that will fit those drivers. GSG has some awesome stuff, easy to build. I’m not handy at all and the build was quite simple, very detailed instructions.

Check out GSG audio or DIYSoundgroup. They have flat packs that will fit those drivers. GSG has some awesome stuff, easy to build. I’m not handy at all and the build was quite simple, very detailed instructions.

oh and just to add definitely take a look at some of the 21” pro audio subs Designs offered. They will get as low as the monster ULF subs but are able to reproduce mid bass also and you want that for music and that chest punch The big ULF drovers just lac mid bass punch.

Interesting! I've experienced the opposite. Huge tight bass (gotta crank the sub way down) but a rolled off high end.
Well, the standard "reference" curve applied by Audyssey does roll off the highs. You might try switching to the "flat" curve instead. Also of note: the reference curve generally employs "midrange compensation," a slight dip in the 2kHz region, presumably to compensate for notoriously strident film mixes. With music, you really want to use the flat curve, and you may also prefer it for visual media.

What's the price tag on that driver? An incredible surround suspension on it, 4" of travel? o_O

Price tag on one HST-18 mkIII subwoofer is $859 shipped in the lower contiguous 48 United States. And you are correct, the suspension allows for a lot of travel thanks to its FEA optimized motor, 10" diameter Nomex spiders, and its 76.2 mm x 80 mm bifilar copper voice coil. Klippel results are attached from the first driver we sent in to Klippel. Of course we now properly align the coil (it was +/- 2 mm off-center on the sample we sent to Klippel) to keep the Xmax at 38 mm one-way.

HST15mkIII_Klippel_Pg1.jpg

Price tag on one HST-18 mkIII subwoofer is $859 shipped in the lower contiguous 48 United States. And you are correct, the suspension allows for a lot of travel thanks to its FEA optimized motor, 10" diameter Nomex spiders, and its 76.2 mm x 80 mm bifilar copper voice coil. Klippel results are attached from the first driver we sent in to Klippel. Of course we now properly align the coil (it was +/- 2 mm off-center on the sample we sent to Klippel) to keep the Xmax at 38 mm one-way.

View attachment 53025
Excellent post @Electrodynamic !
Welcome to the QQ forum...

hi chaps,
Ive been lurking on the forum as a viewer for the last couple of years, thought I should post something at last.

I built a subwoofer for my main system around 2 years ago. I have many far more capable boxes lying around here (used to work in pro audio) but, at the time, the wife acceptance factor was important.

The box was built to fit beneath my (quite large) coffee table. Its a tapped horn fitted with a 12" Ciare PW324, a 20+ year old driver with no available ts parameters, although I did measure its resonance at 28hz and interpreted it as having a lowish qs. Since there were no ts parameters it was pretty much impossible to actually design a box, and consequently, the results were more luck than judgement with the expectation of having to apply eq quite liberally.

the project is semi-documented here:

https://forum.speakerplans.com/guesstimates-for-home-sub-enclosure-size_topic102969_page1.html
the results were far better than expected and although the response was rippled, requiring 4db or so boosts at 35 and 70hz, along with a hefty cut at 100hz (despite a 90hz xover centre) its final response is fairly flat to 30hz and the entire system comfortably tops 100db (actual listening levels are considerably lower) in my 5x3.5x2.3m sitting room.

It was originally powered by a bridged technics se9060 but, while that awaits a service and recap, is currently powered by a (bodge) bridged samson servo170. Unsurprisingly, the samson doesnt control the driver as well as the technics used to and the response is slightly boomier but still pretty musical and pleasing.

I also built a 1.7m tall and very skinny powered 8" 30hz relex sub (it fits a dead space beside my refrigerator) for my kitchen radio (pair of eaw sms4).

Anyway, great forum chaps, its really helped me with my journey from 2.0 with one hafler wired surround to my current 7.1 system and with eyes/ears on an upgrade to atmos

living room is an hsu VTF mk4 big ugly black dual port box that does the job
small listening room has a velodyne spl 12r great sub with built in dsp this sub just sounds great in my room

Back