Wireless subwoofer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So, I'll start by saying, I'm very much of the opinion that setting up a subwoofer wirelessly is not a good idea. Now, I have no history, no friends with such a setup, etc. I ordered a SVS subwoofer, and you can also buy a kit to make it wireless.

What's that you ask? Why would I even consider it? Well, because, my wiring is such that I have to have the cable strung along the walls and then under a carpet. It's far from ideal, and also, it really limits where I can place the sub.

Just wondering if anyone here is using a subwoofer wirelessly, and can comment on reliability, sound quality, etc, etc.

What I think I know about wireless options for audio:

The radios used for in ear monitors on stage.
- audio is limited to FM radio quality more or less (not the worst thing)
- expensive (kind of need to have to be dancing around on a stage to justify)

Bluetooth devices.
- audio over bluetooth is reduced to pretty much low bitrate mp3 (because bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for audio)
- These devices will have a lag. It can be variable too! That would be a problem combining with wired channels and introduce timing/phase issues.

So those would be my questions and concerns.
If you're going for an audiophile-ish home system I'd assume it would be a PITA and compromised for the effort unless I saw something pretty convincing! For something quick and dirty portable? Maybe it delivers well enough and is a cool convenient device.

This would have to be a powered (amp built in) sub for this discussion. Can't very well send subwoofer speaker power wirelessly! So it's one balanced (or unbalanced) audio cable from your preamp/interface.

I use an SVS soundpath for my parents setup. It is alright but there is delay. If you can try to make copper work. If you can paint your walls, ghostwire could be an option. If not wire raceways can be good enough to hide the wire along the walls. Another option is to go with 2 smaller subs like the SVS 3000 Micro and place them wherever you can fit them on opposite sides of the room so you don't don't need to be very precise with placement.

Back