Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the news that Nanci Griffith passed away a week ago, I've been playing this marvellous CD a lot. I've had it since it came out in 1993 and I went to see Nanci in concert in Oslo that year. I became totally smitten with her and ended up with six of her albums on my shelf. Other Voices, Other Rooms is one of the very best covers album of American songwriting I've heard (I know Wimoweh is originally from South Africa but Pete Seeger made it popular in the USA).
IMG_5333.jpg

Various Artists PIANO ONE [Private Music/Stereo RBCD/Pressed in Japan] An absolutely GORGEOUS recording. HIGHLIGHTS:: Ryuichi Sakamoto performing Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Last Regrets on solo Piano and Eddie Jobson performing The Dark Room and Disturbance in Vienna similarly on solo piano. Other artists include Joachim Kuhn and Eric Watson [Piano]. Ethereal and Haunting!

See the source image
91lXvugnayL._SL1075_.jpg

Last edited:
The Appletree Theatre "Playback" US copy
The UK version has a DIFFERENT cover !

Attachments

• the appletree theatre_US.jpg
    the appletree theatre_US.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 37
  • the appletree theatre_UK.jpg
    the appletree theatre_UK.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 36
I've been a fan of exotica for a while, so it was with great pleasure I pre-ordered and received this recently from Cherry Red:

a selection of "Pure Exotica" as dug by lux and ivy (of the Cramps)!

I'm certain I have a bit of this here and there, but still, so far (cd 1) I have found it an entertaining (and rather transporting, which, after all,
is the point) excursion to Pacific paradise via classic tunes by Martin Denny (duh) and associated island floaters.

Now to open my precious bottle of Falernum and mix a Royal Bermuda Yacht Club or two . . . perfect for this balmy, 92 degree rainy weather!

Attachments

• pure_exotica_lux_and_5NJCN.jpg
    pure_exotica_lux_and_5NJCN.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 40
I've been a fan of exotica for a while, so it was with great pleasure I pre-ordered and received this recently from Cherry Red:

a selection of "Pure Exotica" as dug by lux and ivy (of the Cramps)!

I'm certain I have a bit of this here and there, but still, so far (cd 1) I have found it an entertaining (and rather transporting, which, after all,
is the point) excursion to Pacific paradise via classic tunes by Martin Denny (duh) and associated island floaters.

Now to open my precious bottle of Falernum and mix a Royal Bermuda Yacht Club or two . . . perfect for this balmy, 92 degree rainy weather!
The wondrous rock guitar of Poison Ivy in collaboration with the late, great Lux Interior!

The wondrous rock guitar of Poison Ivy in collaboration with the late, great Lux Interior!

Yes, first heard them over John Peel in the 80s, then finally saw them live at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View in the early 90s. Lux was in full leather and really freaky (as he should have been).

Neither play on this, though -- it is a compilation of exotica they liked. CD 2 has a lot of stuff I've never heard. Wish they had gone more "space age" in this, but I guess that is not their scene. For this quad group, I long for Esquivel in surround, but he seems long forgotten (and not on this comp). He originally recorded an early stereo exotica / electronica album in which the right track was recorded in a tv studio on one corner, and the left in a tv studio down the street (!). Talk about separation, lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_García_Esquivel

Yes, first heard them over John Peel in the 80s, then finally saw them live at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View in the early 90s. Lux was in full leather and really freaky (as he should have been).

Neither play on this, though -- it is a compilation of exotica they liked. CD 2 has a lot of stuff I've never heard. Wish they had gone more "space age" in this, but I guess that is not their scene. For this quad group, I long for Esquivel in surround, but he seems long forgotten (and not on this comp). He originally recorded an early stereo exotica / electronica album in which the right track was recorded in a tv studio on one corner, and the left in a tv studio down the street (!). Talk about separation, lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_García_Esquivel
Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Alas, I never got to catch the Cramps live. The Esquivel recording reminds of Todd Rundgren’s “ Sons of 1984.” I was there for the New York audience recording; the other audience recording took place on the left coast and the song was mixed such that one audience is exclusively heard out of one stereo speaker with the other, of course, heard from the other stereo speaker. It’s the last track on the album release simply enough entitled “Todd.”

Starting the day with this one.

Quintessence Profile: Formed in 1969, they played a blend of jazz, progressive rock, Indian Music, and new age rock.

Attachments

• Quintescence.jpg
    Quintescence.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 36
Back