Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael Shrieve ‎– Trilon

"Trilon
is a free-form jazz-groove project carved out of a rare day of relaxed but rigorous jamming at Stone Gossard’s Studio Litho in Seattle.
Like all great music, this recording started with chemistry. A tribe of experimental risk-takers in the late-night scene at Seattle clubs explored uncharted terrain backed by a fat percussive groove laid down by Michael Shrieve.
Michael invited a stellar cast of geniuses to join his project. Trilon is far beyond these individuals playing and experimenting together. It’s equally about the space between them"

815HV4sJqpL._SL1500_.jpg

There’s a hammer in my heart!

View attachment 61045

A lot of people don’t like this period (early to mid 80’s) of Utopia, but I love it! I remember having the two record set of the vinyl with only 3 sides. One of the vinyl only had one side of music.

I love that album and the two that followed it. Sadly the record company went out of business right after it was released so it didn't get the promotion it deserved. I think that if it had been released on a major label who put a major promotional campaign behind the record, it could have been a big hit. Everything on the album is amazingly good radio-friendly ear candy.

Also, the concert video filmed on that tour is phenomenal.

Last edited:
David Torn ‎– Only Sky

"Torn is never just playing the guitar. He employs electronic synth, static and industrial noise, along with guitar and acoustic instruments to build strange and immersive worlds from scratch, to achieve what some critics have termed a sonic, textured landscape.
Torn has blended varied, often dissonant sounds through warping microtones, jarring arpeggios and looping sequences, creating music that is both gritty and transcendent, at once cosmic and intimate"

View attachment 61064
Torn has been deaf in his right ear since having a brain tumor removed in 1992. On the other hand, the surgery saved his life. Torn, bassist Marcus Miller, and Brian Wilson are among the most famous musicians who are deaf in one ear. Of course, none of them can compete with Beethoven for perseverance.

Last edited:
I almost went with this. I love the Kites are fun quad record think I have quad reel transcription of this in addition to the quad vinyl.
I wonder if 4 cds of mellowness might be a bit much though..
thanks for the save...maybe we could hook Clement up with the Q4 copy.. I think I left mine in Madrid!

David Torn ‎– Cloud About Mercury
"The guitarist's rippling harmonics and off-kilter voicings make for an engaging listening experience, especially when he trades sprightly fours with Isham atop the often-circuitous rhythms.
Simply put, Cloud About Mercury looms as one of the finest jazz fusion dates of the '80s, and should be deemed a mandatory purchase for aficionados of this genre"

81up-aCRsrL._SL1200_.jpg

David Torn ‎– Cloud About Mercury
"The guitarist's rippling harmonics and off-kilter voicings make for an engaging listening experience, especially when he trades sprightly fours with Isham atop the often-circuitous rhythms.
Simply put, Cloud About Mercury looms as one of the finest jazz fusion dates of the '80s, and should be deemed a mandatory purchase for aficionados of this genre"

View attachment 61138
I remember seeing this tour in Boston with Mick Karn on bass and someone else on trumpet (it was not Mark Isham)

Back