Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it only me or the rock section is gone from Apple Music? It was until yesterday just after the Alternative category
I can still see the Rock category on iOS. Not currently near my Apple TV 4K box, although I have not updated it in the last month or so based on a previously reported issue of tracks being incorrectly tagged as Atmos.

Last edited:
Happy to report that at least they are ok, not groundbreaking or anything but they have a good full meaty sound and more of a big stadium type effect.
Yeah not horrible but definitely could’ve been more of a discreet mix. Better than the Warner releases for sure.

They definitely sound like they were mixed for headphones, they sound pretty good in my APM.

Is it only me or the rock section is gone from Apple Music? It was until yesterday just after the Alternative category
Only seeing it in the 'Featured Playlists' list on my Win10/Chrome app, why can't they just scroll all of them?

Apple FP.JPG

Yeah not horrible but definitely could’ve been more of a discreet mix. Better than the Warner releases for sure.

They definitely sound like they were mixed for headphones, they sound pretty good in my APM.
Are the Motley Crue Atmos mixes better than the 5.1 mixes on the Greatest Video Hits DVD?

I don't think this is the first time a category vanished for a bit on the main Spatial Audio page. I remember Electronic briefly not being there as well.

All of Apple Music's pages are human curated (other than the AI populated "For You" page), so hopefully someone notices the mistake soon

Are the Motley Crue Atmos mixes better than the 5.1 mixes on the Greatest Video Hits DVD?
Yes and no in my opinion. The DVD has more discreet mixes but not mixed well and in crappy DD 5.1. The Atmos mixes do have some elements that I had never heard before, but seems to have a little less compression.

It really depends on the song, like Dr Feelgood sounds better on the DVD.

Doesn't appear to be available in Canada. Which album?
The new one. On one song, track 9, Degradation Rules, it has a credit for mixing engineer, Alan Moulder.

Has this been on Apple before now? I think it was originally a Sony 360 Amazon exclusive, and it may have eventually migrated to Tidal in one form or another. Mix is pretty conservative, as I remember--a missed opportunity. Unless it's been remixed better for Atmos.
On Michael Kiwanuka's 'Kiwanuka" in Atmos:
Maybe not the easiest record to redo in to Atmos. Kiwanuka has created his own sound while still having a lot of soul legacy. E.g. some of the drums in the stereo mix are centered in the sound stage with mono reverb and effects. Other elements are more ambient and/or have some nice wider reverbs. Some intruments/vocals could have been placed further towards the back, but maybe this would have masked some of the subtle details of the mix? There's a few nice Atmos effects too. Check out the circular panning in 'Piano Joint (Intro)' and 'Living in denial'. I also really like the harp in 'Another Human Being'. All in all I think the Atmos mix is very good. Much fuller soundstage than the stereo mix, and no noticeable negative changes to the fidelity. Taste is individual of course, but calling this 'a missed opportunity' is an exaggeration. And what a collection of great songs! I get sucked in and keep forgetting what format it is when listening. That's usually a good sign. Very happy to finally have access to the Atmos mix. :)

Back