Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, not in the US:(
Can someone confirm if these mixes are good? I'm not a huge GM fan, but just wondering what the quality are on these?

Some of them are better than others. The mix on his covers album, Songs From the Last Century, is really good. I am a big fan but I had kind of forgotten about that album. I hadn't really taken to it when it was first released but I am really loving it now. The mix on Older is quite good as well.

This Tetris soundtrack is a blast!
There are only 3 tracks in Atmos but they are all good fun.

Track 1- Benevolence - Sounds as if Daft Punk remixed the Tetris theme. This track defiantly goes to my "show-off" playlist.
Track 4 - Holding Out For A Hero - A Japanese rendition of the BT classic.
Track 5 - Hold On Tight - A pop song from k-pop girl band aespa that uses the Tertis theme as the hook.

There's even a Russian version of Heat of Glass (In stereo) that as a Russian-speaking person made me smile.

I also hear that the movie itself is ok, so maybe It's time to use the free 3 months that I got to Apple TV+.

I believe you placed W. Nelson's "A Beautiful Time" right up there as well? Is it that good? I love the Nelson album / mix.
I'd say even more presence in the mix to various spots for Lil Yachty but each album has its own sweetness/appropriateness in the mix IMO, however I'm still limping along with only 5.1 :)

This Tetris soundtrack is a blast!
There are only 3 tracks in Atmos but they are all good fun.

Track 1- Benevolence - Sounds as if Daft Punk remixed the Tetris theme. This track defiantly goes to my "show-off" playlist.
Track 4 - Holding Out For A Hero - A Japanese rendition of the BT classic.
Track 5 - Hold On Tight - A pop song from k-pop girl band aespa that uses the Tertis theme as the hook.

There's even a Russian version of Heat of Glass (In stereo) that as a Russian-speaking person made me smile.

I also hear that the movie itself is ok, so maybe It's time to use the free 3 months that I got to Apple TV+.
Here’s the link to the TIDAL release of the single Benevolence: https://tidal.com/album/282445304

Last edited:
It is a pity that the quadraphonic version done by Alan Parsons was not the reference used for this Atmos version. After all I believe the quadraphonic version was the closest spatial version in which the artists participated in.
Pink Floyd never cared for Parson’s quad mix, which was created without the band’s input. That is why they commissioned Guthrie to create a new 5.1 mix. The band obviously like Guthrie’s 5.1 mix enough to have him create the Atmos mix.

Of the four "new" artists Lindsay Zoladz recommends in this week's edition of her newsletter, The Amplifier, two of them have Atmos releases on Apple Music:
Just listened through the Anna B Savage album. It's arty and weird, in a way that might appeal to Laurie Anderson or even Kate Bush or Peter Gabriel fans (although it's mostly more stripped down than their elaborate productions). In other words, I really enjoyed it. The mix is very well done also. Will definitely be giving this one more "spins" -- thanks humprof for bringing it to our attention, since it doesn't seem to be getting any love on Apple's Spatial Audio listing page.

Not sure how true that is but regardless, it doesn't take anything away from the quad mix, and it certainly doesn't raise the quality of the 5.1, just because a band member cared for it, or had any "input".
I'm not trying to take anything away from the Quad mix. The original poster erroneously said that the Quad Mix had the full participation of the band while the 5.1 mix did not, when if anything it's the other way around.

From James Guthrie & Alan Parsons Dark Side interviews 2003 - Pink Floyd - A Fleeting Glimpse
“I’m not surprised that Pink Floyd rejected my quad mix of Dark Side for the SACD,” Parsons says. “I did the mix very quickly. If I’d known that the record would sell in its millions, then I would’ve insisted on having more time. There’s stuff missing from the quad mix. I just didn’t have enough tape machines in the studio to get it all in. The quad was a compromise; I have no problem admitting that fact. I did it single-handedly without automation. But the feel of that mix is pretty exciting. Conceptually, it wasn’t so wrong that I shouldn’t have had a crack at the surround mix.”

“Of course, I understand Pink Floyd would want to take on their engineer of the past 25 years for this project,” Parsons acknowledges, referring to James Guthrie, who was tapped to do the surround mix.
My own take is that the Quad mix is more adventurous, but rough around the edges compared to the 5.1 mix which is too subdued. As demonstrated by Animals, James Guthrie is getting a little more adventurous and the DSOTM Atmos mix is a step in the right direction although it's still restrained compared to the Quad mix.

Back