Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm a nerd on a rampage here trying to find Jason Isbell's Weathervanes on Tidal... no love... hope this does not end up like The National's First Two Pages of Frankenstein (still waiting). It's not every day one of my fave artists releases a new album in atmos and.... ugh. The CD is in the mail to me already, of course. How does it sound!?

Found one of his older songs on atmos for now :/ https://tidal.com/track/231749362

Oh my, oh my, oh my. Wow, wow, wow!

If you have ceiling speakers then this is absolute demo material. (Made my upgrade to 8-inch Focal ceiling drivers worth every cent).

This soundtrack had me mesmerized and captivated for the near hour timeframe.

I have listened to hundreds of hours of Atmos music this year, but have never felt such immersion and transportation to other realms. (Sometimes eerily).

For my set-up, this has been the best atmos release so far in 2023. (Insert surprised emojis reactions now.)

Also for those that have yet to watch I also recommend the Atmos soundscapes on the Apple TV ‘Servant’ series that this composer has also done the soundtrack to (surprisingly not in Atmos though in Apple music).

Last edited:

If you have ceiling speakers then this is absolute demo material. (Made my upgrade to 8-inch Focal ceiling drivers worth every cent).

I have listened to hundreds of hours of Atmos music this year, but have never felt such immersion and transportation to other realms. (Sometimes eerily).

For my set-up, this has been the best atmos release so far in 2023. (Insert surprised emojis reactions now.)

Also for those that have yet to watch I also recommend the Atmos soundscapes on the Apple TV ‘Servant’ series that this composer has also done the soundtrack to (surprisingly not in Atmos though in Apple music).
Thanks for sharing. Any tracks that are particularly outstanding?

Listened to it on buds while out for a walk, so, keep that in mind, but I thought it was pretty decent.
Sampled it tonight, kind of a Jamaican R&B/Soul vibe with a good aggressive mix. Only thing I didn't like was sometimes her center vocals sounded too loud, at least for me.

But overall I liked it.

I’ve got this e-mail from Matt Darey, about the last chance to download his lossless Atmos albums (Wolf & Retrospective), before they are removed. They are in streaming too to check if you like the music.

The Wolf Album was the first Atmos album I began to enjoy on my New Home Theater, about four years ago. His Dolby Atmos mixing is high quality, both immersive and discrete.

The link in the picture is:
Dolby Atmos | Electronic Music | 3D Audio | Immersive Audio

View attachment 92501

He was so close to getting this download model right - until he decided to charge $5 to download a test file and using a "buy now or else" tactic. Can you imagine if traditional record stores would have acted like that? "Buy this CD before X date then we light all remaining stock on fire!"

Last edited:

When you say its good Woody, we know it's an understatement!!
This is using Atmos in the way it should be done.
I completely agree with your praise.
Brilliant just Brilliant

He was so close to getting this download model right - until he decided to charge $5 to download a test file and using a "buy now or else" tactic. Can you imagine if traditional record stores would have acted like that? "Buy this CD before X date then we light all remaining stock on fire!"

I was hopeful for Matt Darey's Atmos mixing style. But it seems to me that he is more oriented to his "Nocturnals" and expensive DJ shows on boat.

Each one decide what business model to try.

And we decide wether to buy or not.

When you say its good Woody, we know it's an understatement!!
This is using Atmos in the way it should be done.
I completely agree with your praise.
Brilliant just Brilliant
I am up to my 3rd listen today and I am still transfixed by this recording.

The beauty of this composition is that the writer/composer clearly has a well equipped Atmos studio at his disposal, and has crafted a soundscape with that very broad sonic canvas at the forefront of his writing and arrangement mindset.

This breaks the stereo to surround paradigm that we are so ingrained with and accustomed to.

Even on simpler arrangements with a piano he has enabled single notes to just hang suspended in the air (thinking of the track ‘The Barn’ here, and others.)

I could write I reckon about 500 words on each track.

This to my mind is a surround sound Atmos masterpiece equivalent in scale to what ’Dark Side of the Moon‘ was to Quad.

I feel the compulsion to somehow write an email to the guy to tell him what a great job he has done.

It's on my watchlist for this weekend. It's good to read that the soundtrack is up to that level!

Never noticed AIC - Man In the Box. Pretty good mix. Would have liked a more aggressive mix considering all the harmonies, but still good!
If I recall the full album used to be in Atmos, may not be anymore. The tambourine pans around the room in We Die Young, pretty cool moment!

Dirt is also in Atmos, a hit or miss mix in my opinion. Good when it’s good but it misses the mark in some places.

Back