Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had amazon unlimited for three days now, have to say i’m underwhelmed, i’ve been randomly choosing atmos tracks and 9 out of 10 are no more than double stereo, the best i’ve found is the latest matchbox twenty album, but there’s only one song in atmos, the others claim ultra hd but are playing at 16-bit / 44.1 Khz which is cd quality and i’m finding that with a load of stuff, i’m glad it’s free for 4 months cos if I paid for this i’d be pretty upset.
Can anyone point me in the direction of some decent discrete sounds on amazon?
I’m listening with a firestick 4k in case anyone is wondering
EDIT i’m now listening to the matchbox twenty album More than you think you are and it’s all in atmos and sounds like somebody has actually put some effort into it, best so far
View attachment 93835
There's nothing to differentiate the Atmos mixes on Amazon to those on Apple Music or Tidal. There's plenty of underwhelming mixes yes, but there's loads of really good mixes too. Try Elton John's Diamonds, The Chic discography, Van Morrison's Moondance, The Doors, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Neil Diamonds All-Time Greatest Hits, Pearl Jam Ten, Talking Heads, Tom Petty's Greatest Hits, Wet Let etc. This is the first nibble on a breadstick before you even get to the starters... :)

Last edited:
"The detail and balance are remarkable for a one-microphone test recording discovered by chance in the New York Public Library some half a century later."

A one-microphone test recording. Now in Dolby Atmos.
I was hoping someone else would catch that. Haven’t given it a spin yet, I wonder how it fares…

I was hoping someone else would catch that. Haven’t given it a spin yet, I wonder how it fares…
I'm digging it, halfway through now.
Went to look for it prompted by a jazz thread over on the Hoffman forum first thing this morning.
So I'm listening to the 12-channel rendering while they wait for their stereo vinyl.

Of course from the source, it's wide double mono with ambience, but sounds great because the source tape is so good.
Let us not forget that Zappa was a Dolphy fan.

Might as well quote the entire Apple description:

At first, the sound of this archival treasure might seem unpolished, but give the ear a moment to adjust. The detail and balance are remarkable for a one-microphone test recording discovered by chance in the New York Public Library some half a century later. It features tenor sax giant John Coltrane in summer of 1961 at the Village Gate, several months before his historic live recording at the Village Vanguard some blocks away.

By the time he played the Vanguard, Coltrane had solidified his great quartet with pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Jimmy Garrison, and drummer Elvin Jones. In a move that puzzled some and delighted others, Coltrane expanded to a quintet at the Vanguard, adding Eric Dolphy, the searching multireedist and kindred spirit. On Evenings at the Village Gate, we get an unprecedented earlier glimpse of this short-lived quintet, with Reggie Workman on bass rather than Garrison. Bassist Art Davis, who played on the studio version of “Africa” from Coltrane’s Africa/Brass, joins Workman here on the only known live version of the song.

“Africa” is the only track on which Coltrane plays tenor sax. Even on the iconic tenor feature “Impressions,” it’s soprano sax all the way. Dolphy’s only alto performance is “Africa”; he’s on flute for “My Favorite Things” and bass clarinet for “Impressions,” the churning waltz “Greensleeves” (which he did not play on at the Vanguard), and the midtempo swinger “When Lights Are Low” (a Benny Carter tune that Coltrane had recorded with Miles Davis in 1956). These shifts of instrumentation alone make the recording significant.

The two horns play in and around the themes, crafting countermelodies and call-and-response, and Coltrane lets Dolphy have his say at length (we don’t hear from Coltrane at all until six minutes into the album). McCoy Tyner proves himself a supreme accompanist—and with Coltrane and Dolphy, this sometimes requires not accompanying at all. His piano solos are like a parachute, catching the terrifying wind, slowing the fall, gracefully ushering in harmonic stability and a sense of calm.

Only three preview tracks right now. Not sure if it’s a proper surround mix.
The recent SDE release of the debut album made me revisit this mix.
I remember not being very impressed when streaming the 5.1 bed off Tidal but decided to give it another go, properly decoded this time.

Must say, it's a pretty good mix (and a great album).
A bit unbalanced maybe, but the sense of space and synth ambience filling out the room is great, a lot of discrete backing vocals and guitar overdubs and effects too.

Made me appreciate the details in some of the songs more than the stereo version, and Drive Myself Home, while previously not my favourite off the record, sounds positively huge.

Only gripe I have with this is that some of the segues have been replaced with a hard cut, compared to stereo (Shadow Self into Quiet Ones for example).
I've noticed this before on other albums, it's like the mix engineers go through the tracklists alphabetically and never give a listen to the album proper :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I wonder if Frank Filipetti did this one? I'm trying "Careless Whisper" and the mix approach seems similar to the George Michael solo albums, not much up top but there are some isolated synths and backing vocals in the sides and/or rears. There's also some fun ping-ponging with the vocals in "Everything She Wants".

Any idea why Careless Whisper is attributed to George Michael only and not Wham?

Any idea why Careless Whisper is attributed to George Michael only and not Wham?

When the single was originally released in the UK it was credited solely to George Michael. In the US it was credited to Wham! featuring George Michael. I believe that at this point they already knew that Wham! would not be a long-term thing and that George's solo career would be would be starting soon.

And welcome to QQ, Monsieur Valjean! 😎

So, is it me or does the sound quality vary wildly? I'll admit I only spot-checked, but the first few tracks seem to have little dynamics, no real bass, they sound lifeless. And then suddenly later in the album, you get a much fuller and richer sound. Strange!
Is it a collection of their hits? The Madonna is like that.

So, is it me or does the sound quality vary wildly? I'll admit I only spot-checked, but the first few tracks seem to have little dynamics, no real bass, they sound lifeless. And then suddenly later in the album, you get a much fuller and richer sound. Strange!
It's not you, it is a strange mix for sure
Like you, I didn't listen to all the tracks
Shall have to revisit it, tomorrow, currently enjoying First Night of the Proms on BBC TV.

When the single was originally released in the UK it was credited solely to George Michael. In the US it was credited to Wham! featuring George Michael. I believe that at this point they already knew that Wham! would not be a long-term thing and that George's solo career would be would be starting soon.

And welcome to QQ, Monsieur Valjean! 😎
There's a joke about a Careless Wispa but that's for another day...🤪

Back in the late 70’s when i was a mad heavy metal fan with hair down my back I had a musical secret that not all my friends knew about, when Friday night came I used to go clubbing and listen to disco music like this
image.jpg

Back in the late 70’s when i was a mad heavy metal fan with hair down my back I had a musical secret that not all my friends knew about, when Friday night came I used to go clubbing and listen to disco music like this
View attachment 93850

I started going to clubs when I was like 14/15 yrs old. Loved to dance...graduated in 82. First fiance n myself cleared the dance floor to standing ovation at my high school graduation dance. Got to see it on video later as someone taped it. Those were the days!

Don't tell my rock n roll friends:)

I started going to clubs when I was like 14/15 yrs old. Loved to dance...graduated in 82. First fiance n myself cleared the dance floor to standing ovation at my high school graduation dance. Got to see it on video later as someone taped it. Those were the days!

Don't tell my rock n roll friends:)
I never danced, just loved the music and watching the girls, some people could never understand how I could love heavy metal and disco, I still like commercial dance like the shapeshifters and the freemasons but i’m mostly all about the rock

I never danced, just loved the music and watching the girls, some people could never understand how I could love heavy metal and disco, I still like commercial dance like the shapeshifters and the freemasons but i’m mostly all about the rock

I like almost All kinds of music. From zeppelin to Abba
Yeah loved Dancing Queen
Can go from Van Halen or AC/DC to Fleetwood Mac to Barry Manillow in n a heartbeat

By the way I am Woman Hear my ROAR!

Back