Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, this one, they've actually de-mixed, or else they've artfully played around with the original 3-channel recording. Sounds great.

(Does this mean Sony has finally given up on 360 RA, or is it in 360 on Tidal?)

Released July 15, 1963. Nice touch.
The AP SACD is the one I’m familiar with.

Not a huge production with Drums, Bass, Piano, Sax & Trumpet; so what channels are they using in the mix for each (somewhat discretely I’m guessing?)

https://www.discogs.com/release/5818814-Miles-Davis-Seven-Steps-To-Heaven

maybe they used Peter Jackson's process? 🤔
A lot of these 60’s era Jazz albums (2 & 3 channel) have the horns pinned wide to L or R; and even Penteo would do a nice job of it. I believe the way to tell if it’s been De-mixed or not, is if the horns are in the rears but also some drums are in the rears as well. Penteo tends to send some of the drums to the rears also. If on the other hand there’s mostly discrete instruments in the rears (& maybe Center), then I’d say a De-mix was used as well. I’m guessing the heights will be just room reverb ambience created.

maybe the beginning of the end of 360RA? 🤔
There are certainly positive trends toward Atmos as the winner of the spatial audio format war.

For example, both Pearl Jam and Britney Spears have had albums issued on 360RA on Tidal in the past and their most recent spatial audio offerings (Yield and Circus respectively) have been Atmos on Tidal.

I’d be curious to know if artists have any say in the matter, and if so, had Sony been making it financially advantageous to artists to allow 360RA.

A lot of these 60’s era Jazz albums (2 & 3 channel) have the horns pinned wide to L or R; and even Penteo would do a nice job of it. I believe the way to tell if it’s been De-mixed or not, is if the horns are in the rears but also some drums are in the rears as well. Penteo tends to send some of the drums to the rears also. If on the other hand there’s mostly discrete instruments in the rears (& maybe Center), then I’d say a De-mix was used as well. I’m guessing the heights will be just room reverb ambience created.
There's some bleed between channels, but for the most part, I'm hearing:
  • Miles hard-panned to the center, together with Carter's bass
  • George Coleman on sax, right (wrapped/repeated at lower volume, possibly with a bit of reverb, right rear)
  • Herbie or Victor Feldman on piano, left (and left rear, as above)
  • Frank Butler or Tony Williams on drums, right (and right rear, as above)
  • Room ambience in the heights
I haven't listened to the SACD in a long time, but I'm guessing this is just an "extension" of the 3-channel mix?

Back