Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's some bleed between channels, but for the most part, I'm hearing:
  • Miles hard-panned to the center, together with Carter's bass
  • George Coleman on sax, right (wrapped/repeated at lower volume, possibly with a bit of reverb, right rear)
  • Herbie or Victor Feldman on piano, left (and left rear, as above)
  • Frank Butler or Tony Williams on drums, right (and right rear, as above)
  • Room ambience in the heights
I haven't listened to the SACD in a long time, but I'm guessing this is just an "extension" of the 3-channel mix?
Just checked my SSDs and didn't find the SACD rip, I'll need to remedy that!

Makes sense they'd have 'the main man - Miles' in the Center on this one. Also reminds me of that other AP Nat King Cole SACD 3-CH. that has Nat prominently in the Center (sounds so good, you'd think he's singing in your living room!) Wonder if that one is far behind?

Thanks for the layout, looks interesting, I'll have to check it out, but having the drums all on the right side seems like an odd choice to me. :unsure:

There's nothing to differentiate the Atmos mixes on Amazon to those on Apple Music or Tidal. There's plenty of underwhelming mixes yes, but there's loads of really good mixes too. Try Elton John's Diamonds, The Chic discography, Van Morrison's Moondance, The Doors, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Neil Diamonds All-Time Greatest Hits, Pearl Jam Ten, Talking Heads, Tom Petty's Greatest Hits, Wet Let etc. This is the first nibble on a breadstick before you even get to the starters... :)
Thanks for the heads up on Elton, Chic, VM and Tom Petty, not sure I can ever forgive you for suggesting wet leg, absolute pile of dog💩 in my opinion, i’d rather listen to the spice girls and I hate them with a passion lol

Thanks for the heads up on Elton, Chic, VM and Tom Petty, not sure I can ever forgive you for suggesting wet leg, absolute pile of dog💩 in my opinion, i’d rather listen to the spice girls and I hate them with a passion lol
The main difference is how these mixes are rendered on headsets. Apple has its own render “Spatial Audio”, which add head tracking. They also use it on their hardware to provide a more immersive experience. On dolby systems like 7.1.4 (or any hardware with the Dolby Atmos logo), there is no difference.

Check this playlist:

My guess is it’s all about numbers, if not enough people listen to it then it’s off to the scrapyard
I really doubt it is Apple themselves removing Spatial Audio albums, they want to offer as much content as they can. Seems much more likely that it's the record label requesting removal, possibly due to licensing issues or because the artist doesn't like the mix, or maybe the label only meant for it to be streamed for a limited time as a teaser for an upcoming physical release, etc. etc.

It's a shame that the My Morning Jacket album has reverted to stereo-only, it was a good one. Such is the streaming world, you pay your monthly fee and you take what they give you. But there's no denying how much good stuff Apple continues to give, that will never see a physical release and often would not have been mixed into surround at all if it weren't for Apple pushing for more content and promoting the technology.

Does anyone know why Dolby Atmos mixes disappear from Apple Music? My Morning Jacket Dolby Atmos mix Is really good so why remove this mix?

The cases I'm aware of that actually have an explanation based on fact are...

1) That they were accidentally released early (in which case they were re-released later on the actual planned release date). This includes Rush - Signals and more recently hopefully ABC - Lexicon of Love.

2) They were determined to be upmixes (which Apple's terms do not allow). Tons of Warner stuff was removed because of that.

3) The artists didn't like the mix and had it pulled to be reworked or separated from the stereo release (John Maher).

Probably a few other cases but these are verified and not just guesses/theories.

The cases I'm aware of that actually have an explanation based on fact are...

1) That they were accidentally released early (in which case they were re-released later on the actual planned release date). This includes Rush - Signals and more recently hopefully ABC - Lexicon of Love.

2) They were determined to be upmixes (which Apple's terms do not allow). Tons of Warner stuff was removed because of that.

3) The artists didn't like the mix and had it pulled to be reworked or separated from the stereo release (John Maher).

Probably a few other cases but these are verified and not just guesses/theories.
Have any deleted Dolby Atmos mixes returned to Apple Music after being removed?

Have any deleted Dolby Atmos mixes returned to Apple Music after being removed?

As I said, Rush - Signals. Not sure if the John Maher counts I think it was replaced with an updated Atmos mix so technically not exactly "returned". There have been a few others, maybe a Tears for Fears that got released early and the Sting that was mentioned.

Pretty sure most if not all of the Warner junk upmixes that were removed have stayed removed.

Back