Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed--that's a fabulous mix. And it's a good sign that Nonesuch are now taking some care with their Atmos mixes, after making the mistake of farming out a whole bunch of stuff to the notorious "Spatial Mastering" outfit that was responsible for all that WMG catalog nonsense a year or so ago. Many of the Nonesuch titles that used to have Schmatmos mixes have reverted to stereo only, e.g.:
  • Caroline Shaw & Attaca Quartet, Evergreen
  • Cecile McLorin Salvant, Ghost Song
  • Joshua Redman, et al., Long Gone
  • Lake Street Dive, Free Yourself Up and Side Pony
  • Molly Tuttle, Crooked Tree
  • Steve Reich, Reich/Richter
  • Tigran Hamasyan, StandArt
Unfortunately, a couple are also still up:
  • Rhiannon Giddens, Freedom Highway and Tomorrow Is My Turn
  • Steve Reich, Runner
But on the upside, the formerly phony Atmos mix for Hurray for the Riff Raff's Life on Earth has been replaced with a very good one:

And Rhiannon Giddens has a forthcoming album on Nonesuch with a legit mix, too:
Sounds like you have done a lot of research although I have to point few things out that I know for fact.

Joshua Redman Long Gone album was never available in Dolby Atmos unless my Atmos tracking system is faulty.

Steve Reich, Runner is recorded by Dmitriy/Alex. They have been recording for surround and beyond well before Dolby Atmos kicked in. You can say you don't like the mix but it is their own thing / own array like the Morten has his own.

-- facts stops here and observation continues.. --

I don't know about others except I really enjoyed Caroline Shaw and I definitely heard some unique 3D reverb / maybe spot microphones but you are right its not available on Apple Music anymore. Time to switch on TIDAL!

Sounds like you have done a lot of research although I have to point few things out that I know for fact.

Joshua Redman Long Gone album was never available in Dolby Atmos unless my Atmos tracking system is faulty.

Steve Reich, Runner is recorded by Dmitriy/Alex. They have been recording for surround and beyond well before Dolby Atmos kicked in. You can say you don't like the mix but it is their own thing / own array like the Morten has his own.

-- facts stops here and observation continues.. --

I don't know about others except I really enjoyed Caroline Shaw and I definitely heard some unique 3D reverb / maybe spot microphones but you are right its not available on Apple Music anymore. Time to switch on TIDAL!
Appreciate the corrections. It's entirely possible that my own tracking re Long Gone was faulty.

I didn't realize that Runner was a Dmitriy and Alex Lipay production, and I'm sorry that my ears mistook their mix for a copy-and-pasted stereo job. (Once I'd verified Reich/Richter as such in Audacity, I wrongly assumed--without such verification--that Runner was the same. I think they appeared within a couple of months of each other.) True: I'm not always wowed by the Lipays' approach to surround, which I find more conservative than that of, say, Morten Lindberg or Daniel Shores. But I respect their work, just the same. I quite liked their Mahler 8th with Dudamel and several of their recordings for the Seattle Symphony.

Anyway, I've amended my post accordingly.

As for Caroline Shaw: the album's producer told me that the tracks for Evergreen had been sent to Spatial Mastering, presumably at the label's direction, but also that the hall where the album was recorded wasn't "great acoustically," and consequently he didn't think it was a great candidate for Atmos. By contrast, Shaw's Let the Soil Play Its Simple Part, performed by So Percussion, had what I though was a brilliant Atmos mix.

Last edited:
Feels like Freedom is the best of the bunch in terms of the mix. A lot more going on all around and fidelity is great as well. Really enjoying all of them though. God I hope they're working on CSNY and CSN and Still's solo albums as well.
It will take AI help. I found out recently that CSN used a single mic in the studio.

I got some decent stems from software, there's enough separation that it's not a fool's errand for an engineer with a budget.

All tracks of the new Blur album are available now in AU. I wasn’t sure about it on hearing the two preview tracks, although I ordered the SDE based on the quality of the last release. I’m relieved to say they work better in context and listening to the whole exceeds expectations. Should be in the US and Europe in a few hours.

Back