Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, this one, they've actually de-mixed, or else they've artfully played around with the original 3-channel recording. Sounds great.

(Does this mean Sony has finally given up on 360 RA, or is it in 360 on Tidal?)

Released July 15, 1963. Nice touch.
Definitely not a de-mix, its a three channel original recording in L-C-R that got up-mixed. Sounds great.

Are the De La Soul albums still on Apple Music? I no longer see them on Tidal.

I love how all the musicians are separated around me. I am physically moving my body towards different speakers to hear one player more!! FANTASTIC!
Agreed--that's a fabulous mix. And it's a good sign that Nonesuch are now taking some care with their Atmos mixes, after making the mistake of farming out a whole bunch of stuff to the notorious "Spatial Mastering" outfit that was responsible for all that WMG catalog nonsense a year or so ago. Many of the Nonesuch titles that used to have Schmatmos mixes have reverted to stereo only, e.g.:
  • Caroline Shaw & Attaca Quartet, Evergreen
  • Cecile McLorin Salvant, Ghost Song
  • Joshua Redman, et al., Long Gone
  • Lake Street Dive, Free Yourself Up and Side Pony
  • Molly Tuttle, Crooked Tree
  • Steve Reich, Reich/Richter
  • Tigran Hamasyan, StandArt
Unfortunately, a couple are also still up:
  • Rhiannon Giddens, Freedom Highway and Tomorrow Is My Turn
  • Steve Reich, Runner
(EDIT: see @heavensolid98's post below for corrections to the above list.)

But on the upside, the formerly phony Atmos mix for Hurray for the Riff Raff's Life on Earth has been replaced with a very good one:

And Rhiannon Giddens has a forthcoming album on Nonesuch with a legit mix, too:

Last edited:
Back