Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harry Styles - As It Was

1280x1280-22.jpg

Apple Music - Harry's House by Harry Styles
Tidal - 360 Reality Audio

Continuing on from 2019's excellent Fine Line, the first single from the new album Harry's House - released on the 20th May. Nice song and mix. Man the bells ringing around towards the end of the song give a really cool effect... :)

Last edited:

Well, it's not the Quadio mix, that's for sure.
Pales in comparison on my system in 5.1.
Bass seems weaker.

Heavy center channel from the piano intro on.
Horns in rears.
Non-existent LFE, not that there's anything wrong with that, as the quad proves.
Alternate mix to the familiar 4.0 for folks who prefer the grand piano front & center rather than in the rears.

Curious for observations from the ceiling-speaker crowd as to what I might be missing in that regard.

Another unique mix of a vintage soul classic from the Coda movie soundtrack.
Listening in 5.1, it sounds 4.1.

After the fronts-only vocal intro, @ 0:34 the other channels wake up
Center nothing but weak distant ambience, but solid bottom-octave bass guitar foundation in LFE.
Strong fronts, backing vocals with a bass, drums & electric piano in rears with a touch of lead vocal ambience.

Last edited:
Well, it's not the Quadio mix, that's for sure.
Pales in comparison on my system in 5.1.
Bass seems weaker.

I'd second that. If the Quadio is midrange-scooped, then this is the inverse. Bass is significantly reduced compared to the original mix. I don't love the center-channel piano, and the fact that it sounds so boosted doesn't help. Still...that piano riff is what the song is built on, and it's prominent in the original stereo mix, too.

Curious for observations from the ceiling-speaker crowd as to what I might be missing in that regard.

Hot take (on my 5.1.4 setup): there's a fair amount of activity up there, though some of it is doubling at reduced volume (e.g., rhythm guitar in the left front overhead seems doubled from left rear; brass in rear overheads is doubled from rears, etc. Although on a 7.1 system, some of that might originate in the rear surrounds?). There are some things unique to the rear overheads, too--backing vocals, for instance--although there are a couple of spots where a particular phrase in the left rear overhead is mastered too loud ("Play a song, play a song, play on" at 1:41, "Waiting for us all" at 3:15).

I like lead vox in front, horns in back. Overall: not awesome, but not awful, either. Hope @sjcorne is right about the rest of the album. Maybe they'll do some tweaks before they lay the whole thing on us.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Need some help with Apple Music. When i click "Browse", there the app shows a line of the latest 25 or so Atmos releases. Is there a way to view ALL of the Atmos releases available on AM?
The best way I've found is go to Search but don't search, scroll down the page and there should be links for different genres. There is a Spatial Audio button, go there and you'll see spatial albums/songs broken down into their genres. You'll get a more complete listing than the browse option but still not fully encompassing all the titles. You may have to click inside the Search box, depending on whether using browser, app version.

Was excited to see this (thanks @Cheezmo for your frequent alerts to new surround content on Apple). I finally got around to listening to the one available track (Let's Go Crazy) today. This might sound good if you have an incredible center speaker. Because 90% of the content is placed there, including almost all of the vocals and instrumentation. The fronts are mostly ambience, plus a little bit of keyboard in the left. The rears are almost all crowd noise. Not enjoyable at all on my (relatively modest) 5.1 system. Sounds to me like it was mixed by someone totally unfamiliar with surround sound, in a feeble attempt to recreate a concert soundstage.

Thoughts from others? Any action in the heights at all?

I generally try to avoid making negative comments, since plenty of others are usually happy to do that (sorry, that was negative), but I couldn't help myself on this one. I've never heard a mix remotely like it, even for other live material.

Back