Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am enjoying the unique mix on this 1968 Motown classic, listening in 5.1.

The drums are completely isolated to the center channel.
So if your center speaker is home theater dialog, sorry for you.

Fronts contain all the vocals and bass guitar.
Rears are horns & strings wrapping from the front, with a little ambience.
There is LFE content, but at a subliminal level.

would the drums be lacking on a properly setup system?
i can't imagine there being much of a problem unless one's Centre speaker was puny and the crossover etc and the Sub wasn't properly dialled in?

not a bad mix at all, i kinda wish they would take a few more liberties when they mix some of this old stuff in Atmos and pan one or other of the vocalists somewhere other than just the pair of them in straight Stereo, they've got about 163 places they could stick Marvin and Tammi, do they really have to be "there"!? 🤦‍♀️🙃😂😅

would the drums be lacking on a properly setup system?
i can't imagine there being much of a problem unless one's Centre speaker was puny and the crossover etc and the Sub wasn't properly dialled in?

I agree.
Thanks for expanding & clarifying the point I was awkwardly trying to make, in my "snide" way.

I don't recall another mix with big Motown-type drums isolated solely in the center channel.
So it's perhaps a new challenge and a test of a system's center speaker and bass management capability.

My mid-fi AVR bass management for small speakers seems to be effective only for the front L & R channels.
For vintage quads with bass in the rears, for example, I get seem to get no help from the sub.
Therefore, I'm happy I have full-range speakers on all channels, including center.

To my ear, a lot of the power of the music I'm fond of lives in the low-mid range, from say 100-250 hZ.

When the LFE channel is limited by the range of the subwoofer frequency response, either by the speaker or the roll-off of the high-pass frequency in the design of the AVR, the experimenting I've done with small speakers on my system has been less than satisfying.

(Sometimes my auto-calibration will want to change my center speaker type from large to small.
Based on a low frequency sweep test, I assume. I have to manually change it back to large.)

Interested to hear other's experiences / thoughts using this track and the new Aretha Rock Steady Atmos mix with heavy bass guitar in the center channel as benchmarks?

I agree.
Thanks for expanding & clarifying the point I was awkwardly trying to make, in my "snide" way.

I don't recall another mix with big Motown-type drums isolated solely in the center channel.
So it's perhaps a new challenge and a test of a system's center speaker and bass management capability.

My mid-fi AVR bass management for small speakers seems to be effective only for the front L & R channels.
For vintage quads with bass in the rears, for example, I get seem to get no help from the sub.
Therefore, I'm happy I have full-range speakers on all channels, including center.

To my ear, a lot of the power of the music I'm fond of lives in the low-mid range, from say 100-250 hZ.

When the LFE channel is limited by the range of the subwoofer frequency response, either by the speaker or the roll-off of the high-pass frequency in the design of the AVR, the experimenting I've done with small speakers on my system has been less than satisfying.

(Sometimes my auto-calibration will want to change my center speaker type from large to small.
Based on a low frequency sweep test, I assume. I have to manually change it back to large.)

Interested to hear other's experiences / thoughts using this track and the new Aretha Rock Steady Atmos mix with heavy bass guitar in the center channel as benchmarks?

i can't remember any Motown stuff, there was that track on Captain Fantastic with a load of drums in the Centre, "Tell Me When The Whistle Blows".. while i understand why GP mixed it like that (EJ remarked how good Nigel's Drumming was on that track and Greg remembered and mixed it accordingly! wow!) it really was a kinda daring move and i'm not entirely sure it totally worked but hey why not have some fun with it! the Centre Channel and LFE are probably the main sticking points with 5.1 for Music and i doubt many lessons have been learnt so we're bound to get some crummy Centre & LFE Atmos Music usage going forward. bang a gong! bring it on! (only a matter of time before we get T-Rex in Atmos, i can feel it in me water! 😋

Back