Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is Sound Check?

Sound Check in the Music app on Apple TV scans the songs in your Library and checks for volume changes. It then uses the data to regulate volume control when you are playing songs. to enable Sound Check, select Music under App Settings and then toggle Sound Check.

Sound Check in the Music app on Apple TV scans the songs in your Library and checks for volume changes. It then uses the data to regulate volume control when you are playing songs. to enable Sound Check, select Music under App Settings and then toggle Sound Check.
Hmmm, just gave it a quick try with Cahoots. Brought the level of atmos mixes way down. Sounds compressed too, but that could just be due to the drastic reduction in volume. There is still a significant difference between the atmos and the stereo tracks.

I’ll need to play with it more, but I suspect this is not an effective tool for me. If for no other reason then it would adjust volume of tracks on the same album - and I’m an album listener so that’s a non-starter for me. I don’t want ballads as loud as rockers.

Last edited:
This needs to be in Bob’s Tips and Tricks thread; and no street walker jokes! :smokin

Last edited:
What does BD mean in the context of streaming on Apple/Tidal? Did you mean to post on the Listening in Atmos thread. We need to make these threads more coherent.
Sorry, wrong thread, thought I was posting in the listening to Atmos thread. 😁 To many Atmos threads, maybe.

I am not big on using my Apple 4K for streaming music, because of the hit and miss factor. My surround ripped library is so deep, I seem to always go to my own library.
I do however watch you guys to see what is going on.
I am in the ROCK Browse section, and two albums I selected Division Bell and Edgar Winter Group, the signal comes out Multi Channel IN, not Dolby Atmos, and basically only plays front left floor speaker. Is that just the way it is? Should I fix a settings thing?

I am not big on using my Apple 4K for streaming music, because of the hit and miss factor. My surround ripped library is so deep, I seem to always go to my own library.
I do however watch you guys to see what is going on.
I am in the ROCK Browse section, and two albums I selected Division Bell and Edgar Winter Group, the signal comes out Multi Channel IN, not Dolby Atmos, and basically only plays front left floor speaker. Is that just the way it is? Should I fix a settings thing?
Those albums are "Dolby Audio" which is 5.1 and not Atmos.

The left speaker only sound is a bug that has supposedly been fixed in the most recent Apple 4K OS update. You can also get around this by letting the track play for a couple seconds and then rewind back to the start and then the track should play properly.

Back