Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok. sooooo what's in those height speakers Markie - ambience, strings, choir, band spittle? 😄

Clearmountain on his approach to Atmos:
"I am starting to work in Dolby Atmos, yes—but at first, I was kicking and screaming about it," Clearmountain says with a laugh. "But I'm getting into it. For something I'm working on right now, the ceiling speakers are getting some added effects and some reverb and ambience, and other things like that. Every now and then, I'll stick something up there for fun—but rarely."

Greta Van Fleet
Very good organ music and a little drum to start, then entire band comes in with symphonic, vocals are like a reverb, sounds like shit, but symphony strings sound fantastic.
Chorus vocals sound OK.
Solo rhythm guitar sounds OK.
If I was the mixer, I would have kept single vocals in center, chorus vocals in floor surrounds.
All in all it is damn good, at least the heights are strong and active vs some Atmos there is just a tinkle of sound.
In end when vocals go Above, Above, Above, Above, they come out of different heights.

Greta Van Fleet
Very good organ music and a little drum to start, then entire band comes in with symphonic, vocals are like a reverb, sounds like shit, but symphony strings sound fantastic.
Chorus vocals sound OK.
Solo rhythm guitar sounds OK.
If I was the mixer, I would have kept single vocals in center, chorus vocals in floor surrounds.
All in all it is damn good, at least the heights are strong and active vs some Atmos there is just a tinkle of sound.
In end when vocals go Above, Above, Above, Above, they come out of different heights.
sounds busy up there... hmmmm :unsure:

I've always thought that could be a good subject for a dedicated thread, especially the appropriateness of the mixer's choices for the type of music, and is it working for ya. Just not sure many folks here would be that interested in it though? Could have responses to it as varied from asking - "What's your favorite Ice Cream flavor?" 🍨

sounds busy up there... hmmmm :unsure:

I've always thought that could be a good subject for a dedicated thread, especially the appropriateness of the mixer's choices for the type of music, and is it working for ya. Just not sure many folks here would be that interested in it though? Could have responses to it as varied from asking - "What's your favorite Ice Cream flavor?" 🍨
Yeah, I know what you mean. To be honest, I am just lucky as I have needles on all my amps for each speaker so I can tell what speakers are doing, assuming I can't tell with my ears. Also, I am sure if one does not have VU meters, they can turn off lower floor speakers or whatever to just listen to certain sections. If one had no amps and just put signal thru per/pro than literally would have to put ear to speakers, step stool for heights etc, complicated.
listening now to the Rock Spatial Audio the Sam Fender song had an Atmos signal, but nothing going on, the next track .38 Special back to full blown heights.
Good idea but you get some guys that are really good at listening to mix like @sjcorne and others not as good, like me. I need my visual ques.

Yeah, I know what you mean. To be honest, I am just lucky as I have needles on all my amps for each speaker so I can tell what speakers are doing, assuming I can't tell with my ears. Also, I am sure if one does not have VU meters, they can turn off lower floor speakers or whatever to just listen to certain sections. If one had no amps and just put signal thru per/pro than literally would have to put ear to speakers, step stool for heights etc, complicated.
listening now to the Rock Spatial Audio the Sam Fender song had an Atmos signal, but nothing going on, the next track .38 Special back to full blown heights.
Good idea but you get some guys that are really good at listening to mix like @sjcorne and others not as good, like me. I need my visual ques.
The mixes sometimes even vary a lot within the same album song to song. I listened to the newest Dua Lipa in Atmos mix the other day and one song had nothing in the Center and the next had some keyboards or something 🤷‍♂️

https://music.apple.com/us/album/dua-lipa-deluxe/1228739599

Clearmountain on his approach to Atmos:

Clearmountain and Scheiner, emblematic names, but they do not find that there is enough market of people that have 11+ speakers.

So, they both say that Atmos is only for films at theater and not for music at home? They really don't like discrete Atmos music? Or is it that they do not find enough market for that?

I’m up to track 3.

Drum and Bass electronica. The most lush music I have heard of within this genre.

Works well with Atmos as the artist has isolated the Drum component pretty heavily anchored to the center speaker that allows the application of lush sounding strings to the remaining speakers.

In stereo the percussive elements can become too dense which overwhelms the soundscape.

As i type up to track 4 which has great usage of distant brass (sax?) which takes the track to a transcendental level. This track added to my playlist.

Clearmountain and Scheiner, emblematic names, but they do not find that there is enough market of people that have 11+ speakers.

So, they both say that Atmos is only for films at theater and not for music at home? They really don't like discrete Atmos music? Or is it that they do not find enough market for that?

I found that strange / odd also.

Back