Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this mix a lot. Tommy Shawn’s solo a capella vocal front and center is eerily like he’s right in the room. And then the vocal spread when the harmony vocals come in is really cool. There seem to be guitar parts I don’t remember from listening to the stereo track all these years, could be they were always there but more buried. Same with some of the vocal takes. Really good overall. Makes me think this is an improved version of the Atmos mix that was previously available but it could be same, no way to compare at this point!
I feel like it’s a totally different recording than the original. The vocals are definitely not the same.

I feel like it’s a totally different recording than the original. The vocals are definitely not the same.
That was my first impression too, that it's a re-recording, similar to what Bryan Adams did on his recent "Classic" album... but I haven't listened very closely or done an A/B comparison. Perhaps it's just differences in EQ / mastering that make it sound different, apart from the surround mix?

Reactions: Ick
Happy to find that one of my favorite Atmos tracks 'Enochian Dream' from Kiko King & Creative Maze is available in Atmos again. :) No credits for immersive engineer, but based on the excellent sound it probably is the great Frizt Hilpert (you know him from mixing Kraftwerk and Booka Shade). He did mix a few songs from their previous albums.

KK&CM have quite a few tracks in Atmos, but no complete album. It makes the songs hard to find in Apple Music. Wish they had tagged indiviual songs as Atmos like Tidal has done.

The other KK&CM Atmos mixes by Hilpert are most easily found in the compilation 'Atmos for Androids #2' which is a great collection of 20 songs all mixed by Fritz Hilpert.

Links to their non-Hilpert mixed songs:

I've always enjoyed this track and the Atmos mix is definitely an interestingly listen - it's really more 7.1 than Atmos though, I don't think the height speakers are used at all. The intro with the layered keys divided between the side and rear channels is fun, but it kinda falls apart when the drums come in upfront at like half volume versus the old stereo mix. I wonder if this is the same as the Sony 360RA version on Tidal?

Listened to some fun William Orbit stuff on Tidal last night. His new project Painter has ATMOS tracks, but I could only find them listed under EPs as individual tracks. I also went back and listened to the reimagined Torch Song album in ATMOS. Great mixes here.
I really like his Atmos mixes too. I think the full album is released on Friday so looking forward to that.

A lot of individual Aretha Franklin Atmos tracks have been posted lately (thanks!), but I thought it might be helpful to add that there are two collections that include multiple Atmos tracks each, surrounded (ha) by a bunch of stereo tracks. In the U.S., at least. Makes it just a bit easier to add them to your library. And just to have a comprehensive list in one place, I've added links here to all the other tracks I'm aware of.

This collection includes seven tracks in Atmos: I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You); Respect; Baby, I Love You; Ain't No Way; You're All I Need To Get By; Bridge Over Troubled Water; Day Dreaming:

This collection includes four tracks in Atmos (with just one being a repeat from above): (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman; Ain't No Way; Rock Steady; Every Natural Thing:

The Aretha Now album has three Atmos tracks: Think; I Say A Little Prayer; Hello Sunshine:

And the entire Amazing Grace album is in Atmos:

Otherwise, the only remaining Aretha tracks in Atmos on Apple that I know of are:

Think (feat. The Blues Brothers):

Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do):
Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do) by Aretha Franklin

Don't Play That Song:
Don't Play That Song by Aretha Franklin

Please let me know if I've missed anything.

A lot of individual Aretha Franklin Atmos tracks have been posted lately (thanks!), but I thought it might be helpful to add that there are two collections that include multiple Atmos tracks each, surrounded (ha) by a bunch of stereo tracks. In the U.S., at least. Makes it just a bit easier to add them to your library. And just to have a comprehensive list in one place, I've added links here to all the other tracks I'm aware of.

This collection includes seven tracks in Atmos: I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You); Respect; Baby, I Love You; Ain't No Way; You're All I Need To Get By; Bridge Over Troubled Water; Day Dreaming:

This collection includes four tracks in Atmos (with just one being a repeat from above): (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman; Ain't No Way; Rock Steady; Every Natural Thing:

The Aretha Now album has three Atmos tracks: Think; I Say A Little Prayer; Hello Sunshine:

And the entire Amazing Grace album is in Atmos:

Otherwise, the only remaining Aretha tracks in Atmos on Apple that I know of are:

Think (feat. The Blues Brothers):

Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do):
Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do) by Aretha Franklin

Don't Play That Song:
Don't Play That Song by Aretha Franklin

Please let me know if I've missed anything.
Kismet. I was just thinking this morning: "We've got enough for an album now, right? Somebody needs to make a playlist." Thanks!

I've always enjoyed this track and the Atmos mix is definitely an interestingly listen - it's really more 7.1 than Atmos though, I don't think the height speakers are used at all. The intro with the layered keys divided between the side and rear channels is fun, but it kinda falls apart when the drums come in upfront at like half volume versus the old stereo mix. I wonder if this is the same as the Sony 360RA version on Tidal?
It’s most of the hard rock atmos tracks, they are so terribly thin sounding

Listened to some fun William Orbit stuff on Tidal last night. His new project Painter has ATMOS tracks, but I could only find them listed under EPs as individual tracks. I also went back and listened to the reimagined Torch Song album in ATMOS. Great mixes here.
Apple Music has the album listed as Atmos.

Entire album coming soon according to @PaulatSDE

“The other quite big INXS news is that the 2011 compilation The Very Best has been newly mixed in Dolby Atmos. The 20-song compilation features hits such as ‘What You Need’, ‘Original Sin’, ‘Baby Don’t Cry’ & ‘Bitter Tears’, recently celebrated 500 weeks in the Australian Top 100 ARIA charts and has been awarded Diamond status. The Atmos Mix was created by Giles Martin and will be available on streaming services from 26 August.”

Entire album coming soon according to @PaulatSDE

“The other quite big INXS news is that the 2011 compilation The Very Best has been newly mixed in Dolby Atmos. The 20-song compilation features hits such as ‘What You Need’, ‘Original Sin’, ‘Baby Don’t Cry’ & ‘Bitter Tears’, recently celebrated 500 weeks in the Australian Top 100 ARIA charts and has been awarded Diamond status. The Atmos Mix was created by Giles Martin and will be available on streaming services from 26 August.”
"Need You Tonight" is the only track available in Atmos for me, but it's been remixed! Sounds so much better than the awful version from Kick. Now I'm really bummed the SDE Blu-Ray isn't coming out.

Back