Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled upon a reissue of a 1995 Torch Song album with five of the tracks "revisited" by William Orbit and the revisited tracks are available in a Dolby Atmos mix:

https://listen.tidal.com/album/216184162
I'm sure it's up on Apple Music as well.

The only thing I knew about Torch Song was a Torch Song Mix of Sting's If You Love Somebody. It's a pretty different version to what was released on the album and I always enjoyed it. I was checking to see if Tidal had any of their releases because I read that Rubellan has been trying to reissue their first couple of albums and noticed this remaster/remix was released on the 18th. It's got a very active mix and is worth checking out if you like electronic music or William Orbit's recent Starbeam EP in Dolby Atmos.

I'd love to see him do an Atmos mix of Madonna's Ray Of Light album with her upcoming reissue campaign since he did a lot of writing and production on the original album.

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/toward-the-unknown-region/1607140942
nice find, thanks! 👍

Tracks 12-16 (called album "Revisited") on Apple Music are in Atmos 🙂

Just a minor caveat, and maybe this was expected, but the first songs dont take the atmos experience at its best, prolly due the channel limitations of that era. They barely sound in any other speaker other than the front ones.
Once you're down in song 10ish thats when the ATMOS experience begins, and all surrround experience takes shape.
The first 10 or so songs are definitely more front soundstage focused BUT for me, I felt that the Beatles were more "in the room" with me rather than trying to get that vaunted stereo imaging...or listening to them strictly from the center channel in good 'ol mono (mono = :sick:).

Sounds pretty good. Some mixes are more notable than others in taking advantage ATMOS. I Feel Fine is very cool, lots of space to hear the woody tone of the guitar playing the iconic riff, and the drums sound like you are on the floor is studio 2 as Ringo plays them. A Hard Days Night on the other hand has a diluted sound. Where’s the bass?
Going down the tracklist, I Feel Fine was the first song that jumped out at me as sounding better in Atmos. All the ones before that sounded too front heavy for my taste.

Maybe it's just me, but I found most of these tracks to be very underwhelming for something touted as 'spatial audio' or atmos. Yes, an occasional track exhibits some audible rear channel activity, but virtually no overhead sound which is kind of the main point for atmos. My Yamaha Pre/Pro does a better job upmixing to big mono or 11 channel stereo than most of these mixes do.

“…overhead sound which is kind of the main point for atmos.“
Here‘s what Dolby has to say about the point of Atmos music, which is about more than overhead sound…

“Dolby Atmos unlocks a new dimension of creativity to explore. Go beyond conventional, two-channel audio limitations with more clarity, space, and depth.”

“Dolby Atmos goes beyond the ordinary listening experience and puts you inside the song in a spatial way, revealing every detail of the music with unparalleled clarity and depth.”

Dolby marketing hype aside, it all comes down to how well the mixing engineer applies the technology. For these particular mixes, with little to no activity in the overheads or the rear channels for the majority of the tracks, they definitely do not put me "inside the song in a spatial way, revealing every detail of the music with unparalleled clarity and depth.” Others mileage may vary.

DISAPPOINTED, with a capital D!
Wifey & I both listened, & said the same thing
Sounds like the CD; no better, or worse

Great album and a very immersive surround mix. Well done!
The Sweet Escape and Early Winter are probably the most known singles, but I think the best surround tracks are Orange Country Girl, Breakin’ Up and Don’t Get It Twisted.
Highly recommended even if you don’t usually listen to this music genre. I don’t listen to a lot of hip-hop, but Gwen is an exception.

First listen in Atmos……😱😱😱

image.jpg

I stumbled upon a reissue of a 1995 Torch Song album with five of the tracks "revisited" by William Orbit and the revisited tracks are available in a Dolby Atmos mix:

https://listen.tidal.com/album/216184162
I'm sure it's up on Apple Music as well.

The only thing I knew about Torch Song was a Torch Song Mix of Sting's If You Love Somebody. It's a pretty different version to what was released on the album and I always enjoyed it. I was checking to see if Tidal had any of their releases because I read that Rubellan has been trying to reissue their first couple of albums and noticed this remaster/remix was released on the 18th. It's got a very active mix and is worth checking out if you like electronic music or William Orbit's recent Starbeam EP in Dolby Atmos.

I'd love to see him do an Atmos mix of Madonna's Ray Of Light album with her upcoming reissue campaign since he did a lot of writing and production on the original album.

I listened to this this weekend. I will second this endorsement of the active mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back