Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, is the Surround Master a $400 improvement on DPLII?

Seriously. I would be interested to hear your views on it.

HI. Lute
I have a Surround Master and I highly recommend, for its Synth mode just alone is much better than DPLII, you will be very surprised of its capability alone. And great QS - SQ SURROUND which is far superior to anything other than a Tate 101a. At eBay’s high cost the SM is bargain
Bill....

HI. Lute
I have a Surround Master and I highly recommend, for its Synth mode just alone is much better than DPLII, you will be very surprised of its capability alone. And great QS - SQ SURROUND which is far superior to anything other than a Tate 101a. At eBay’s high cost the SM is bargain
Bill....
Thanks, Bill!

I am very interested in the Surround Master. On their website, they have 2 versions: the original and the SQ version. Which is better? What's the difference? Does SQ stand for SQ decoder? And another dumb question... Can I use it in Japan? I mean...Are there compatibility issues that you're aware of?

I'd appreciate any further information you could give me. Thanks in advance! Brett

Thanks, Bill!

I am very interested in the Surround Master. On their website, they have 2 versions: the original and the SQ version. Which is better? What's the difference? Does SQ stand for SQ decoder? And another dumb question... Can I use it in Japan? I mean...Are there compatibility issues that you're aware of?

I'd appreciate any further information you could give me. Thanks in advance! Brett

Yes Lute they have 2 units.
I think if you consintrate on the SQ QS version which was created for the QQ members and open to the puplic to buy, this unit will have every thing you want in synth SQ QS matrix surround & DTS Dolby 5.1, its how you connect the cables in the back of the unit & the switching in the front of the unit that give you the options *and remember the input connections & out puts are analog only*.
When you buy the unit you give the voltage of country you are in and yes it works in Japan.
Bill....

Last edited:
I am getting Very Addicted to these mid 60`s LP`S the sheer amount of Surround information they have in Synth mode on my SM is Fantastic I`ll go as fare as to say they put some of my Quad LP`s to shame.
Bill...

QQ PIC IN FAKE SURROUND.jpg

Yes Lute they have 2 units.
I think if you consintrate on the SQ QS version which was created for the QQ members and open to the puplic to buy, this unit will have every thing you want in synth SQ QS matrix surround & DTS Dolby 5.1, its how you connect the cables in the back of the unit & the switching in the front of the unit that give you the options *and remember the input connections & out puts are analog only*.
When you buy the unit you give the voltage of country you are in and yes it works in Japan.
Bill....
Thanks, Bill.
I appreciate the info. You've been a big help. I sent them an email. We'll see how everything goes. It would be fantastic to go beyond DPLII...
Brett

Bill, if it isn't too much trouble, could you post the back of the cases and/or list the track/artists on these discs?

Thanks!

I am getting Very Addicted to these mid 60`s LP`S the sheer amount of Surround information they have in Synth mode on my SM is Fantastic I`ll go as fare as to say they put some of my Quad LP`s to shame.
Bill...

PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN (REMASTERED)
Pink Floyd

Absolutely LOVE this LP....it soooooooo needs to be remixed into proper surround...can it? Would be likely at the top of my all time favorites....

91g00no5sCL._SX355_.jpg

MI0002776004.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

1329920191.jpg

If you love this album, and I certainly do, check out the import deluxe 3 CD set: the entire album in stereo, mono, with rarities.

PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN (REMASTERED)
Pink Floyd

Absolutely LOVE this LP....it soooooooo needs to be remixed into proper surround...can it? Would be likely at the top of my all time favorites....

91g00no5sCL._SX355_.jpg

Just got a copy of the 180g LP "Cold Spring Harbor". Ran it through the Surround Master in 'Involve' (QS) mode and it sounded pretty nice. Tweaked it a bit on the PC for a car DVD-A and it came out quite nice.

Listening to it closely on the PC during the process, it's impressive how some of the lyrics are so good for someone's first album. Sure, there are some crap songs on here, but I listened closely to a song like "Tomorrow is Today" for the first time it seems while I was futzing with the audio tracks, and probably for the first time I actually listened to the words. "I don't have to see tomorrow 'cause I saw it yesterday". These were words he wrote for his suicide note when he tried to kill himself. For some reason it struck me last night. I can see how a lot of people actually feel that way.

Maybe it reminded me a bit of Cai......

As many of you may know, Cold Spring Harbor was totally screwed up in its' early 1971 release, Family Productions FPS 2700. It was mastered at a speed way too fast. When Columbia acquired the rights in the early 80's, they got Doug Sax, co-founder of Sheffield Labs, to correct the speed and clean it up. I still have my original LP, because its' collectible, but never play it. Sax did a wonderful job with what he had to work with.

Yes, this was Joel's first solo record. However, he had been making LP's for four years prior to this with The Hassles and Attilla. Neither songwriting or making LP's were foreign to him at this point.

billy-joel-cold-spring-harbor-522884.jpeg

2944544180-2.jpg

As many of you may know, Cold Spring Harbor was totally screwed up in its' early 1971 release, Family Productions FPS 2700. It was mastered at a speed way too fast. When Columbia acquired the rights in the early 80's, they got Doug Sax, co-founder of Sheffield Labs, to correct the speed and clean it up. I still have my original LP, because its' collectible, but never play it. Sax did a wonderful job with what he had to work with.

Yes, this was Joel's first solo record. However, he had been making LP's for four years prior to this with The Hassles and Attilla. Neither songwriting or making LP's were foreign to him at this point.

View attachment 17714

View attachment 17715

That's pretty cool - I knew he was in Attilla...sort of a rock/metal band IIR.

Yup. I knew that, and actually have 2 copies of the Attila LP on Epic. Bought them somewhere along the way, but never really liked them. I don't think I ever owned the Hassels album in any format.

I also have the original CSH, but as QL said, it's a mess. However, it does contain the original mix. This new 180g LP was made from the newer Columbia remaster, so there are differences in the length of songs, and even in some of the intrumentation. I don't remember everything, but I seem to recall that Columbia brought in some other musicians to redo some parts, and that the totally removed some orchestration and over-production.

Funny thing is, I discovered this LP back in the '70s when I was seeking out Q8's in the cut out bins of Woolco's and other department stores. I found the 8-track of this album and it became a staple in the car, even with the higher pitch. I sorta grew on me.

I also found my copy of CSH in the cut-out bin, literally at the same time the SQ of Piano Man came out. I found it at the Jewel/Osco food/drug store in Waukegan, IL. The store is called Jools in Chicago-ese.

Back