Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be Bop Deluxe - Futurama
PECLEC-42670-BE-BOP-DELUXE-‘Futurama’-3D-300x300.jpg

"This Time We Mean It" : R.E.O. Speedwagon (SQ LP decoded by the Surround Master; Q8 also available but pretty scarce)

its a lovely thing with this surround hobby, you discover great new music all the time!
even though i knew one or two of REO Speedwagon's later hits with a different singer/lineup, everything on the two albums from '74 & '75 that saw Quad release was new to me and they are real hidden gems in superb surround sound imho, with wonderful mixes by CBS' Quad expert Don Young (who mixed the Poco Quads that Vocalion released as a 2-fer "Seven" & "Cantamos") and if you have that SACD you'll know what to expect in multichannel from this overlooked Quad Rock beauty.. maybe one day it'll get the DV SACD love too :rocks

Last edited:
it'd be no surprise if it were a stealth Quad album! i'm in love with "i'm not in love" through the Surround Master!! the things we do for Quad ("oh the things we do for love"!) ❤️

FYI quaddies :

"Although overall not as crisp as the Tate decoder, last heard in a hotel demonstration during the January CES here, the Shadow Vector system provided good varied effects on demonstration cuts that ask a lot of a decoder .
Such as "Drum Song " from Earth Wind and Fires-Open your eyes . Unit also demonstrated good center front separation on "Rocket Man" and the "Star Trek " theme from John Keating-Space Experience and excellent localization on " The Same Night In Paris " from 10cc / The Original Soundtrack ."

-that is the quote from the article on the Shadow Vector debut for SQ quad.
(BB 21 JUNE 75, PG 67- titled SHADOW VECTOR TEST DISCS )

Fizzy

They Only Come Out At Night : The Fredgar The Whinger Group!

we all at QQ know what a fabulous Classic album and Classic Quad this is..

..but i just want to touch on something for a brief moment-ette.. since this is another one of those gold-bordered CBS Quads where i kinda prefer to listen to the Q8 (i know! mind = blown! 🤯😁

it seems back in them there early 1970's CBS cut a number of SQ disc's (including this one) pretty much upto the label on both sides (the runout groove's tiny!) upshot being i get some icky IGD (at the end of track 5, "Undercover Man") with my current preferred cart for non-CD-4 stuff (Denon DL110).. its strange with the CBS (Columbia & Epic) SQ LPs, a number of the earlier discs sound pretty grunge-y and midrange-y and then around mid-'73 (pretty much when they ditched the gold-bordered artwork) things took an uptick in sound quality and pressing quality seemed to improve (a number of CBS SQ LPs from '74 & '75 sound, to me, truly excellent) but then it all went tits up again in '76/'77 where the CBS SQ discs were mastered on the bright side and had this spitty sibilant quality when decoded. the SQ's of Loggins & Messina's "Native Sons" & Ted Nugent's "Free For All" are yet again cut extremely close to the label! oh its outrrrrrrraaaaaagousssss!! ha!! anyhoo.. fuck all that pointless babbling nitpicking,
back to this most delicious vintage Edgar Winter and all who sail in it! 🍷 🤪 🤩

"cos we all had a real good time,
somebody told me i was out of my mind..
and we all had a real good time,
i couldn't stop myself from feeling fiiiiine"

Rick (Derringer) and Roll... WOO!!!! :rocks

They Only Come Out At Night : The Fredgar The Whinger Group!

we all at QQ know what a fabulous Classic album and Classic Quad this is..

..but i just want to touch on something for a brief moment-ette.. since this is another one of those gold-bordered CBS Quads where i kinda prefer to listen to the Q8 (i know! mind = blown! 🤯😁

it seems back in them there early 1970's CBS cut a number of SQ disc's (including this one) pretty much upto the label on both sides (the runout groove's tiny!) upshot being i get some icky IGD (at the end of track 5, "Undercover Man") with my current preferred cart for non-CD-4 stuff (Denon DL110).. its strange with the CBS (Columbia & Epic) SQ LPs, a number of the earlier discs sound pretty grunge-y and midrange-y and then around mid-'73 (pretty much when they ditched the gold-bordered artwork) things took an uptick in sound quality and pressing quality seemed to improve (a number of CBS SQ LPs from '74 & '75 sound, to me, truly excellent) but then it all went tits up again in '76/'77 where the CBS SQ discs were mastered on the bright side and had this spitty sibilant quality when decoded. the SQ's of Loggins & Messina's "Native Sons" & Ted Nugent's "Free For All" are yet again cut extremely close to the label! oh its outrrrrrrraaaaaagousssss!! ha!! anyhoo.. fuck all that pointless babbling nitpicking,
back to this most delicious vintage Edgar Winter and all who sail in it! 🍷 🤪 🤩

"cos we all had a real good time,
somebody told me i was out of my mind..
and we all had a real good time,
i couldn't stop myself from feeling fiiiiine"

Rick (Derringer) and Roll... WOO!!!! :rocks

Quite frankly, FreddieB, there's NOTHING Groovy about IGD!

Petition the Wiz for REO and Fredgar W

One NEVER knows..... what lies behind the Curtain! {🐶 Toto, notwithstanding}!

See the source image

Last edited:
Quite frankly, FreddieB, there's NOTHING Groovy about IGD!

Petition the Wiz for REO and Fredgar W

One NEVER knows..... what lies behind the Curtain! {🐶 Toto, notwithstanding}!

See the source image

tbh Ralpheeo4ears, idg (i don't get) igd with my AT440MLa but i prefer the slightly "meatier" sound of the Denon cart on my TT (its probably less accurate than the ATML or got more distortion/whatever but i just prefer it with Stereo & Matrix LPs, its smoother with better bass) ..tbh i doubt a petition to the Wonderful Watford Wizard is necessary, he is all-knowing on Quad matters! (and anyfink wot he don't proper know like, i'm sure steelydave can fill in his gaps!) 🤩

Jethro Tull - Benefit; DTS 96/24
Hadn’t given this one a listen in a while. Incredibly immersive SW mix and a rockin’ good album to boot. I personally prefer the first 5 Tull albums to their A Passion Play and beyond output. Ian and his music just seemed a bit more palatable during the early years.

"This Time We Mean It" : R.E.O. Speedwagon (SQ LP decoded by the Surround Master; Q8 also available but pretty scarce)

its a lovely thing with this surround hobby, you discover great new music all the time!
even though i knew one or two of REO Speedwagon's later hits with a different singer/lineup, everything on the two albums from '74 & '75 that saw Quad release was new to me and they are real hidden gems in superb surround sound imho, with wonderful mixes by CBS' Quad expert Don Young (who mixed the Poco Quads that Vocalion released as a 2-fer "Seven" & "Cantamos") and if you have that SACD you'll know what to expect in multichannel from this overlooked Quad Rock beauty.. maybe one day it'll get the DV SACD love too :rocks

REO Speedwagon are also getting a good airing in Stranger Things at the mo! :alien: What a shame quad didn't just carry on a bit longer on into the 80's - I'm sure it would've been another story... 📖 Not to worry though as we all know the quad revival is here again! 🧙‍♂️

I'm not sure I can fight this feeling to purchase me own Surround Master anymore?! :phones

REO Speedwagon are also getting a good airing in Stranger Things at the mo! :alien: What a shame quad didn't just carry on a bit longer on into the 80's - I'm sure it would've been another story... 📖 Not to worry though as we all know the quad revival is here again! 🧙‍♂️

I'm not sure I can fight this feeling to purchase me own Surround Master anymore?! :phones

in the words of The O'Jays
(in Surround Master decoded SQ, no less!)

"don't fight the feeling,
don't fight the feeling,
you've got to
let life flow.."

:smokin⛲🥰

in the words of The O'Jays
(in Surround Master decoded SQ, no less!)

"don't fight the feeling,
don't fight the feeling,
you've got to
let life flow.."

:smokin⛲🥰

I might have to raid the piggy bank? 🐷

For the love of money (🔝🔙🔙🔝) I hope there’s enough in there?! 😱

Then I can get Involved in the Surround Master Love Train 🚂... Choo choo 💭

Don't do it Will!!
It will take you off the beaten track... :D

But seriously it is one of the best investments I have made, to get my ears reignited with my STEREO collection
There...I said the word
I knew I could..
JUST!!!
:QQlove

"..the next stop
that we make
will be Aus-tralia..
see Chucky and Chris and
Dave The Bitch too-woo-woo,
don't leave that piggy bank
at the station,
cos if you miss it
you'll have no QS, Involve or SQ-(oooooh)..
Smithers all over the place,
login,
get your pin code, pin code!"

(etc!)

Well the way that I see it, Master Smithers......the SM v.2 can be yours if you alter your lifestyle: less frequent trips to the local pub ..... fish without the chips and next time you vacation with the family ... sleep in the car.

Only kidding, Smithers .... eat, drink and be merry and plonk down the £££££ for the SM v.2 ....... am thinking of buying one myself .......

See the source image

Well the way that I see it, Master Smithers......the SM v.2 can be yours if you alter your lifestyle: less frequent trips to the local pub ..... fish without the chips and next time you vacation with the family ... sleep in the car.

Only kidding, Smithers .... eat, drink and be merry and plonk down the £££££ for the SM v.2 ....... am thinking of buying one myself .......

See the source image

You know me too well Signore Raphael! Yes a few less chips and I might get there... Mmmm chips (fries) 🤤

Maybe I could ask these guys for a short term loan?! 😎

C01D3A1D-6C5B-405E-B8CD-06B67D507DF4.jpeg

Back