Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An early but goody....

Attachments

• R-5990811-1408787088-5190.jpeg.jpg
    R-5990811-1408787088-5190.jpeg.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 76
Jan, so agree with you. Arjen L. projects are really well done and his surround mixing is stellar. Sure hope he gives us a lossless mix one day as that would put it over the top.

Me too, I tried to convince him via mail that lossless would be the icing on the cake but maybe his budget doesn't allow him to?I'm so happy he did my favourite album of his (Electric Castle) that I didn't push him any futher. I'll try again, thanks Peter!!

Me too, I tried to convince him via mail that lossless would be the icing on the cake but maybe his budget doesn't allow him to?I'm so happy he did my favourite album of his (Electric Castle) that I didn't push him any futher. I'll try again, thanks Peter!!
I was hoping that a surround mix of Universal Migrator might be in the pipeline for an anniversary next year.

I was hoping that a surround mix of Universal Migrator might be in the pipeline for an anniversary next year.
He's got his own studio equipped for surround now so who knows, when I asked him if we would ever see The Electric Castle in surround a few years ago he was not very optimistic but it happened. If you ask me yes I think he will continue with mixing his older (and also new) stuff in surround. In the words of rtbluray.....

View attachment 44575 Bruce Soord All This Will Be Yours

Listened to both the album and acoustic 5.1 mixes. A very affecting release. Lush production and an effective, immersive use of surrounds. Two different feels, despite the fact that the album itself is already very acoustic. Ima need a few more listens. Moving.

I gave this a good listen today as just picked this up at Pineapple Thief concert on Friday night and listened to the main album twice and the acoustic album once. WOW,WOW,WOW.... to my ears Bruce S. has totally nailed this surround. Its a really engaging listen and wonderful use of all speakers. There's lots of stuff going on in rear's even on the stripped down acoustic version you hear some extra guitar and beautiful harmony vocals in rears to accompany main vocal in the front. The main album has lots of extra keys and sound affects going on to give it a more layered sound than acoustic.

I am not much of a lyric guy so hearing these 2 versions is just awesome as they are different enough that it makes it a joy to listen to either one even back to back listening.

People not getting this because of the price are missing out as its a fantastic surround x 2 listen.

peter

Steve Hackett At The Edge Of Light. 5.1 DTS DVD
Under The Eye Of The Sun sounds like it would fit a Jon Anderson album; it has that same vocal vibe.
I like the guitar in Underground Railroad, but the piece itself seems undecided on what it wants to be.
So far the mix seems pretty front heavy. Everyone is in bed so perhaps it needs more volume to enjoy.
This isn't something I would spin much; I am glad my library had a copy to check out.

As an aside, I think I have been too harsh on him over the years; the wounds from GTR are still fresh.

This SACD starts out kind of rough so you may not have been patient enough. Some great stuff here.
Start at track 6. "Sea Nature"

Attachments

• MVIMG_20191217_091512.jpg
    MVIMG_20191217_091512.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 74
Back