Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canterbury sounds for "Wicca" minded folks on this Hallow'ed Day.

Caravan-Land Of Grey And Pink. :smokin

20151016_120820.jpg20151016_120742.jpg

Birdsong at Morning - A Slight Departure Blu-ray (arrived this morning)
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft sacd (also this morning)
XTC - Skylarking Blu-ray (came Friday)
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play An Extended Performance (also Friday)

so I've got plenty to keep me occupied.:upthumb

Amigos - Santana

:confused:

(wonder whether anyone here has the ear of Fred Catero or David Rubinson and would care to get some insight on how to properly decode this lovely album into Quad? SQ doesn't seem to produce very Quaddy results.. QS? CD-4? EV-4? UHJ? actually scrap QS & CD-4, I tried them already.. :eek: )

Had my first listen to Skylarking(XTC) earlier today. Pretty amazing; very impressed; heard some outstanding surround moments. Once the trick-or-treaters are gone I'll have to give it another spin.

Oddly enough, that 2nd spin didn't really grab me; maybe it's more afternoon music than nightime. Now listening to Love...bring it home boys.

Amigos - Santana

:confused:

(wonder whether anyone here has the ear of Fred Catero or David Rubinson and would care to get some insight on how to properly decode this lovely album into Quad? SQ doesn't seem to produce very Quaddy results.. QS? CD-4? EV-4? UHJ? actually scrap QS & CD-4, I tried them already.. :eek: )

nah...they went AWOL on this one...you'll get a better "decode" by running the Stereo (or Quad mix) mix thru DPL II ....

I guess they were doing too many 'ludes this time and just DRENCHED the mix in reverb...

nah...they went AWOL on this one...you'll get a better "decode" by running the Stereo (or Quad mix) mix thru DPL II ....

I guess they were doing too many 'ludes this time and just DRENCHED the mix in reverb...

hmm.. I'm not sure its as open and shut as that..

..several times there's attempts to steer things to the rears and in a couple of instances it actually does... its quite interesting listening to the rears in isolation (Loopback is very handy for this, I can monitor in the individual 4-channels as they're being decoded straight off the record and knock out channels or reallocate them to different channels on the output bus) and flicking each channel in and out of phase on the fly in cue mix last night it was kinda bizarre the different effects I was getting including a different front to back sensation and a more solid stereo image upfront, fuller bass and less of that naff metallic hollow reverb just by tinkering with the phase of the individual channels..

I'll bet if somebody tecchy could reverse engineer it they'd find there is a Quad mix there, some encoding or mastering problems (or something equally catastrophic!) meaning it doesn't decode properly..

quite curious as to what the SQ decoders of 1976 might do with this SQ record.. could Full logic wave matching or whatever it is come to Amigos' rescue? Just wondering if a Tate or Lafayette SQ-W might do it differently (and more pleasing-ly :eek: ) than the Surround Master.. did you ever try running this one thru software decoding, kap?

I noticed mention at one time that one of the old CD releases is said to have the Quad mix, I think I'll hunt one of those down and try it out (..just in cases ;) )

hmm.. I'm not sure its as open and shut as that..

..several times there's attempts to steer things to the rears and in a couple of instances it actually does... its quite interesting listening to the rears in isolation (Loopback is very handy for this, I can monitor in the individual 4-channels as they're being decoded straight off the record and knock out channels or reallocate them to different channels on the output bus) and flicking each channel in and out of phase on the fly in cue mix last night it was kinda bizarre the different effects I was getting including a different front to back sensation and a more solid stereo image upfront, fuller bass and less of that naff metallic hollow reverb just by tinkering with the phase of the individual channels..

I'll bet if somebody tecchy could reverse engineer it they'd find there is a Quad mix there, some encoding or mastering problems (or something equally catastrophic!) meaning it doesn't decode properly..

quite curious as to what the SQ decoders of 1976 might do with this SQ record.. could Full logic wave matching or whatever it is come to Amigos' rescue? Just wondering if a Tate or Lafayette SQ-W might do it differently (and more pleasing-ly :eek: ) than the Surround Master.. did you ever try running this one thru software decoding, kap?

I noticed mention at one time that one of the old CD releases is said to have the Quad mix, I think I'll hunt one of those down and try it out (..just in cases ;) )

Well, it was one of the first decodes I did using Lucanu's script (STILL the best!) and managed to hear a bit of a guitar in RR, but that was it....
The DEAD giveaway was that there was no Q8 released for this title...which , to me , means:
"SQ? hahahaha...SUCKERSSSSS!!!"

Well, it was one of the first decodes I did using Lucanu's script (STILL the best!) and managed to hear a bit of a guitar in RR, but that was it....
The DEAD giveaway was that there was no Q8 released for this title...which , to me , means:
"SQ? hahahaha...SUCKERSSSSS!!!"

being SQ only with no Q8 version indicative of nothing sinister or underhanded going on imho.. check out the following SQ only Quads..

Billy Joel - Turnstiles,
Bob Dylan - Desire,
BT Express - Energy To Burn,
Dave Mason - Split Coconut,
Harold Melvin - Wake Up Everybody,
Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World,
Janis Ian - Between The Lines,
Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm,
Loggins & Messina - Native Sons,
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom,
O'Jays - Family Reunion,
O'Jays - Survival

being SQ only with no Q8 version indicative of nothing sinister or underhanded going on imho.. check out the following SQ only Quads..

Billy Joel - Turnstiles,
Bob Dylan - Desire,
BT Express - Energy To Burn,
Dave Mason - Split Coconut,
Harold Melvin - Wake Up Everybody,
Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World,
Janis Ian - Between The Lines,
Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm,
Loggins & Messina - Native Sons,
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom,
O'Jays - Family Reunion,
O'Jays - Survival

This may be a time period when they used a different encoder, or didn't really care much at monitoring the encode, or decided they should take a page out of the "classical music"process that most other labels comitted to at the time.. Labels promoting "ambience only " for the rear channels.
CBS COLUMBIA MASTERWORKS were one of the few classical labels that insisted on using the rear channels to demonstrate a FULL encompassing, 360 degree effect. And quite often placed instruments in those rear channels, but with time that changed.

Santana - Abraxas... No problems with this quad mix although i'm not sure of the source. Very discrete.

Back