Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R.E.M.- "Around The Sun"- "Electron Blue" sounds great... one thing I've realized going back through the forum and reading comments about all the REM albums is that the opinion's about which albums/ songs are great are WIDELY varied! I suppose it's due to the extreme variety of musical styles/instrumentation REM tried over the years. Being a rocker myself, Monster is my favorite (although that one seems to be less popular with the die-hards). Many people seemed disgruntled that Scheiner included extra elements or omitted elements completely... this is another case where I'm glad I wasn't too familiar with the original stereo mixes. I find every one of the DVD-A's has some great surround mixes and some lackluster mixes... I think Scheiner did what he could with the elements available, but not every song lends itself to surround. Some of my favorite mixes from a surround standpoint are on "Up" and "Reveal"... alot more tracks to work with. I especially like the Beach Boys influences on Reveal... Great stuff!

Definitely Innuendo and QueenII, and Queen 1, Sheer Heart Attack and Day at the Races and Queen Live Killers !!! That'll do for now :)

Breakthru on GVH 2 is superb

It would seem QUEEN 'S First disc was seriously considered for a Quad mix , at least it was posted on a Billboard 73 listing as a soon to be released/released Q8 . Electra Records would likely have released it in two or three formats. At the time -(Q8,QR, CD-4) ,much like Best of The Doors .
It didn't occur of course , but it could mean a Quad mix exsists in "The WEA Vault of Dusty Quads " :rolleyes:

R.E.M.- "Around The Sun"- "Electron Blue" sounds great... one thing I've realized going back through the forum and reading comments about all the REM albums is that the opinion's about which albums/ songs are great are WIDELY varied! I suppose it's due to the extreme variety of musical styles/instrumentation REM tried over the years. Being a rocker myself, Monster is my favorite (although that one seems to be less popular with the die-hards). Many people seemed disgruntled that Scheiner included extra elements or omitted elements completely... this is another case where I'm glad I wasn't too familiar with the original stereo mixes. I find every one of the DVD-A's has some great surround mixes and some lackluster mixes... I think Scheiner did what he could with the elements available, but not every song lends itself to surround. Some of my favorite mixes from a surround standpoint are on "Up" and "Reveal"... alot more tracks to work with. I especially like the Beach Boys influences on Reveal... Great stuff!

I have all the REM'S on DVDA and like a variety of songs throughout them .

Yes, Automatic , and Out Of Time are their best overall , but there are a plethora of great tunes on each disc . Yes I agree not enough attention paid to the other discs , I think.

:sun

Yesssss!!! :p Turnstiles and Piano Man Quads, please, somebody?!?!? :yikes

Agree , oh yes do I ever.

And last nite I perused Paul Simon's First Album , in total. Hadn't realized how good the Quad mix and Music were. A great variety of tunes in quad on the disc , loved "The Incas " on the tune " Duncan" ! PanFlutes Peruviun style coming in the back channels .
But the whole album deserves a good listen.

Not hedging any bets any time soon but , bugger it would be nice for Warner to issue a QUADIO-5.1 Surround Box of his first three Quads and his other three 5.1 discs languishing in their Vault.

Six wonderful Surrounder's for the Masses.

20170512_162623.jpg

I've made myself a superb compilation for all the Nat King Cole AP SACDs. It sounds absolutely divine played back with my Oppo! :)

Nat%20Cole%20Comp_zpsowwghknl.jpg

Was in such a restful mood last nite (thanks beer).

So anyways , I thought I'd continue in the "Mellow Music " type of Folk thing with another Quad Qlassic .

JONI MITCHELL-The Hissing Of Summer Lawns Quad
Had this disc many years back with the Silver Quadradisc Tape sticker , but luckily have a super copy to play with, another ENTIRE album of great music via Joni , and fab quad mix btw.

Would love to see some of her (promissed 5.1's) , as well as both QUADS re-issued.

My two older sisters got to catch her act in a local "Coffee House " just up the street back in the mid sixties !!!! Lucky they were when she did the coffee houses circuit .

20170513_111211.jpg

^ I love "Your Wilderness" and have the deluxe box. I never heard of Pineapple Thief and because I like that release so much, I decided to acquire a copy of "Magnolia" and can't much get into that one. For some unknown reason, I love the tracks that are included with the bonus disc. A more acoustic set of a few of the original album tracks. :)

Blu Ray Disc 3, The Allman Brothers Band, Fillmore East, 5.1 DTS-HD Master at 70.5db. Who says Live has to be ambient.
index.jpg

Attachments

• 51ngH5Tiv9L._AC_US500_QL65_.jpg
    51ngH5Tiv9L._AC_US500_QL65_.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 139
Listening/watching AC/DC Live At Donnington, Blu Ray Live 1991, I chose PCM 5.1 24/48Khz. Pretty fuckin cool. I saw Monsters Of Rock in 1991, Candelstick, but no AC/DC it was Scorpions as headliner.
ACDC.jpg
Edit: I have seen AC/DC 3 times, 2 times Cow Palace For Those About To Rock and Razors Edge Tours, and Ballbreaker Oakland Coliseum. My ears rang for three days after but it was so worth it.
Edit Again: This is a no bullshit disc very discrete, all speakers mixed exactly how you would want it, thanks QQ for the turn on.

Not hedging any bets any time soon but , bugger it would be nice for Warner to issue a QUADIO-5.1 Surround Box of his first three Quads and his other three 5.1 discs languishing in their Vault.

Six wonderful Surrounder's for the Masses.

That will not happen for two reasons:
1) The Paul Simon Quadraphonic mixes (along with "Bridge Over Troubled Waters") are distributed by Sony, not Warner/Rhino, so therefore, the latter label would not be able to release these mixes in a Quadio style set.
2) Paul Simon has denied the requests of Audio Fidelity (and similar labels) to reissue these Quadraphonic mixes on modern-day formats.

Shame… :(

I've made myself a superb compilation for all the Nat King Cole AP SACDs. It sounds absolutely divine played back with my Oppo! :)

Nat%20Cole%20Comp_zpsowwghknl.jpg

The Nat King Cole SACDs, remastered by Kevin Gray, Steve Hoffman & Gus Skinas, sound great. No question.

And even better when you move the DSD audio from those SACDs to DSD files for playback on a Multichannel DSD DAC like the exaSound e28 & e38 or the Merging Technologies NADAC & NADAC Player !
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?14371-The-Nat-King-Cole-Story-3-Channel-SACD

Back